If there is a new iPhone at WWDC, on which day will it be revealed?t

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by silversin, May 31, 2011.

1. silversin macrumors member

I can finally get rid of my Bold 9700 and get an iPhone. I was planning to get the iPhone 4, but since WWDC is just a couple of days ahead, i'm holding off to it. If there is a new iphone, could we expect it at monday?

2. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

If there is a new iPhone being announced at WWDC (which is unlikely) it will be announced at the keynote.

It won't be released immediately though.

3. ThaDoggg macrumors 6502a

ThaDoggg

There will most likely be no new iPhone announcement. Apple has to focus on its iOS as it's been quite some time since there has been a major update. Overall, the conference focuses on software, not hardware.

4. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

If there is a new iPhone announced it will be on June 6th around 1040 Pacific Time.

5. silversin thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the replies. If there is no iphone on monday, I will be getting an iphone 4 on tuesday:D

6. Biolizard macrumors 6502

If we're going to see a new iPhone in June, there'll be a couple of weeks lead time between WWDC keynote and actual release to allow carriers/networks and consumers to prepare.

Even if the September rumours are true, Apple will need to address the new iPhone at WWDC; since its debut each new iPhone OS/iOS release and new iPhone have been linked and a change in this policy can't go unmentioned.
    As people have commented, by not mentioning the new iPhone at all, Apple would create uncertainty around a topic (phones) on which people need certainty because of contracts. Customers won't just sit around waiting indefinitely like with Macs, they'll leave for Android or WP7; Apple will have to at least say "It's coming in September" or something, IMO.

7. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I agree, I can imagine them either announcing it with a September launch or making some kind of side reference to a great new update in a few months.

8. ZombieZakk macrumors 6502

if they do not announce a new device at the keynote of the WWDC they will most likely just hijack the ipod event in September.

9. Solfeggio4 macrumors member

Me too. 3GS is dying, and I don't want to wait for a minor hardware update this fall. I'll grab the iPhone 4 next week and that will hold me over until the iPhone 5 next year. :)

10. Darthdingo macrumors 6502a

If the rumors of just an slightly upgraded i4, iPhone4S are true, I would expect a release in July, and then the major overhauled big release for the iPhone6 in May/June 2012.

11. DDar macrumors 6502

DDar

That's what they say every year.
    Also, just because there's a focus on software doesn't mean hardware will be completely absent.

But then that would mean that the new phone would come out sometime in November.
    That's ridiculously close to the following summer, don't you think?
    Unless they're planning on making November their new iPhone launch window.

12. NebulaClash macrumors 68000

NebulaClash

That is the assumption, yes, that Apple wants to move to a fall intro for both phones and iPods so that the iPhone will be hot going into the Christmas selling season, not "last summer's version."

13. jduff macrumors newbie

I would approach this with more thought geared toward quarterly earnings. If apple could plan it out so ONE major product launched each quarter, it would be a best case scenario from an earnings, and therefore owners (shareholders) perspective.

14. BlindMellon macrumors 65816

BlindMellon

You and a whole lotta other folks. I expect the used market to see a huge jump as well.

15. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

Guys, lets be realistic here.

Apple has never released an iPhone hardware without sharing the next generation iOS beta first.
    If iOS 5 beta was launched in April, then i would've believed there would be an iPhone 5 in WWDC. However, this year it will be an anomaly.
    It makes no sense for Apple to release the iOS 5 beta and launch the iPhone 5 with iOS 4.

Still, unless you really need it, i highly recommend on NOT getting the iPhone 4.

16. Ohwhatda macrumors newbie

Steve Jobs is going to be there. Journalists from around the world are getting invites. Apple has been extra secretive since the massive iPhone Gizmodo leak last year.

I WANT TO BELIEVE.

17. patp Guest

nothing in the press release tells me that they are not introducing a new phone. They never leak a new iPhone. They leak everything else.

My money is on the "one more thing" introduce the new phone at the end of the Keynote.

18. NebulaClash macrumors 68000

NebulaClash

I hope you didn't put too much money down, because that's lost money.

19. jacoblost macrumors newbie

There will be a new iPhone announced at WWDC no matter how small the upgrade is or how much later the actual release date is. Apple shareholders have come to expect a new iPhone every year at WWDC, and to not announce a new version of Apples most profitable product would be disasterous to the AAPL stock price. Apple doesn't make money on iOS.

20. Ashin macrumors 6502a

Ashin

Imagine you are Steve jobs, you love control.

Now, imagine how you felt last year when you didn't get to announce the iPhone 4 since it was leaked.

You'd be wanting to be announcing the iPhone 5 yourself, and putting out rumours there is no iPhone 5 so it will be an even bigger announcement.

Seriously, don't be too surprised if we see the iPhone 5 at the end of WWDC, I sure hope so anyway, since my contract runs out next month and I want one

21. pyro008 macrumors 6502

22. mrtune macrumors 6502a

I was thinking the same thing.

23. silversin thread starter macrumors member

So I couldn't wait and got the iphone 4. As a former blackberry owner, I understand why you guys hate the notification system. It's terrible..

This topic can be closed.:)

24. mrkramer, Jun 1, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2011

mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Considering Apple has already said what they will be announcing I don't know that they are being extra secretive. They could still surprise us with something else Like a new iPhone, but that is very unlikely.