If there is an "iPad Plus" soon, do you think the price of iPad2 will fall?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Kayzle, Jul 11, 2011.

1. Kayzle macrumors member

Or will the new one simply be more expensive.

Seems to me if it's a "supplement" much the the macbook pro then most likely it's just going to be more expensive while prices stay the same on iPad2.

2. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

There's no pressure to drop iPad prices yet, so likely things will continue at the same price.

3. Kayzle thread starter macrumors member

I figured the same, sad though, I plan to buy one around october and sure would enjoy a lower price.

4. hcho3 macrumors 68030

Funny how people think apple will drop the price. No. No. No.

iPad is on back order online for 3-5 business days.

The only iPad 2 price will fall is when the iPad 3 comes out. And it's due on 2012.

5. Kayzle thread starter macrumors member

Seems like a long shot, but it would be nice.

6. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

It'll probably just be higher with the 2 staying the same. Though if they really wanted to just send the competition back to the drawing board once again, imagine a $100 premium on the pro, then lowering the regular by $100, so you would have iPad 2 at $399 and iPad pro at $599. Heck, some may even give up at those pric points.

7. singlestick macrumors regular

I agree that Apple would seriously kick sand in competitor faces if they lowered the price on the iPad 2 when and if they release an upscale version of the iPad at a higher price point.

On the other hand, I think that they undermine their own previous message if they introduced an iPad HD. The whole idea is that the iPad is simply elegant and magical, something that anyone can use. Would an upscale iPad be "more magical?"

8. Danoc macrumors 6502

Danoc

As long as the iPad 2 is the leader in its market, there is no reason to change the price strategy.

9. singlestick macrumors regular

Fair point, especially since the iPad continues to be in high demand. But if Apple's manufacturing efficiencies (via their relationship with suppliers, etc) let's them shave some dollars off the price, they make it harder for competitors to keep up.

In any event, it will be interesting to see how this all plays out in the coming months.

10. maclaptop macrumors 65816

maclaptop

Apple seems to hold fast on pricing, and it reflects in the used market.

11. henchman macrumors 6502a

Wow.
    how do you guys come up with these make believe, nit based in any reality, fairy-tales.

12. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

An iPad plus implies it will be the ultimate iPad, which if Apple were to offer this SKU it would probably top out well above the top 3G 64gb model. We may be looking at $899

The problem however is that will it remain a plus model? Or will every iPad 3 come with a retina display making the iPad 2 HD a very overpriced bragging device vor 3-4 month exclusivity, before the undoubtably better specced iPad 3 hits Market in spring 2012 with retina across the board?

Having a retina display on one ultimate SKU also means that there is very little chance we will see a sway of retina enabled updates to our iPad library of apps, until all new iPads are supporting the display. So a retina display ipad 2 plus with barely any retina enabled apps? Can you really see it happening this fall? What incentive to customers does it offer if apps are not optimised?

For so many logical and common sense reasons that often are not considered on forums when they post rumors based on what people want rather than the logistics and implications somthing actually has, the chances of iPad HD refresh this year is slim to none.

13. Brien macrumors 68020

Brien

I agree, but I also thought we would never see a white iPhone 4 so hey...

14. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

But a White iPhone despite the drama does not change 'hardware' to the point where developers have to change their applications for one specific SKU (which if there is any truth to the rumor will be tailored towards a niche Market)

The whole point of iPads and iOS was it's unification, hardware and software and user experience unified. An iPad HD standing out of the pack for just 3-4 months goes against that philosophy and makes no commercial sense at this given moment.

15. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

If we get an iPad plus I think it would be more expensive. That said I don't see one actually coming, apple wants to keep things simple and have as few models as possible plus the main advantage of iOS over android is that iOS is much less fragmented having a bunch of different resolutions would change that. Honestly I don't see any update to the iPad or new models this fall, if anything it would be a replacement for the iPad 2 if they want to get on a fall release schedule.

16. anthdci macrumors 6502

I don't think there will be a new iPad anytime soon and these HD rumors are false. The reason being it doesn't make any sense for them to release a new updated model when the iPad2 is outselling the opposition massively and apple cant make them fast enough, as shown by the wait time. Apple will either release a new model around march 2012 to follow its yearly cycle or when the sales of the iPad2 are dropping off.

17. solowmodel macrumors 6502

Would be highly doubtful of a price drop.

The component costs for the 16Gb are what, $330-350 or thereabouts (I forget the exact number). On top of this, which many people seem to forget, are the high R&D costs that they must recoup.

18. foiden macrumors 6502a

Yeah. I would think Apple would wait until they see some sort of demand drop and iPads become more available on the shelves. As of right now, you still have to be very assertive and/or lucky to happen in on a store that just got them in. Manufacturing enough is probably their biggest concern because if they can make them faster, they'll get even higher sold-through numbers. Get them out while the market is hot.

19. kiranmk2 macrumors 6502a

kiranmk2

^This^

Apple will likely have to implement retina displays in next year's model as there appears to be loads of high-res 10" panels being readied by LG, Samsung et al which no doubt the competitors will snap up. Thus a retina-display equipped iPad 2 Pro would only succeed in annoying people as the premium would be rendered worse than useless about 5 months later. Also the performance would be a lot worse as the A5 would have to drive 4x the resolution. The A6 will more than likely enable the same performance as the A5 but at 4x the resolution, but they won't release that in an iPad alongside an new iPhone sporting an A5 chip (and I don't think the next ARM/PowerVR parts are fully finished). Best bet is a storage bump to 32/64/128 GB this Q3.

20. Fernandez21, Jul 12, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2011

Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

What if were thinking about this wrong? People keep talking about a retina display (I know I have) but what about the touchscreen? What if appl's iPad for professionals means an iPad with a much tighter grid of touch points and more simultaneous touches enabled? Imagine a touchscreen so advanced that they can have a "brush" accessory where each tip is a capacitive inductor and the screen can detect each brush as it touches the screen and actually replicate what it's like to paint with a real brush? Or to write and sign papers and contracts with the same feel as pen and paper? Would this be possible, and would you consider this to be an iPad pro?

21. Bloodraw850 macrumors 6502

Bloodraw850

If anything I think it will cost more than the iPad 2 and the iPad 2 should hold the current price until after the iPad 3 is launched next year