If there is no IPhone 8 this year, will you upgrade to iphone 7S ??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Math889, May 20, 2017.

?

Will you upgrade to a iphone 7S or 7S+ ?

1. Yeah

23 vote(s)
    25.6%
  2. No

43 vote(s)
    47.8%
  3. Maybe

24 vote(s)
    26.7%
  1. Math889 macrumors 65816

Iphone owners - If there is no IPhone 8 this year , will you upgrade to an 7S or 7S+?

2. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

3. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Not if the 7s is a FOURTH design iteration of the iPhone 6.

I already have my fugly with my 6s+. Not paying for more.

4. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

Since Verizon ended subsidized phones this year PLUS the 7s will very likely be a LCD display, I'm staying put with my 6s.

My next phone will likely have OLED...whether that is Apple or Android, remains to be seen. The S8 is a little too long, not for me.

The poll question choices...none of them fit.

5. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

If Apple makes the appropriate changes and physically alters the iPhone after three generations of the same design, then yes I would upgrade. But my thoughts are we will see a 4.7/5.5 inch LED and the 5.8 OLED model.

My investment will likely be with the OLED model.

6. eyeseeyou macrumors 68000

S models usually are an upgrade to the processor and camera, maybe ram and possible OS update that takes advantages of those upgrades.

Cram everything a 7plus has into the size of a 7 I honestly might bite and swap out my 7plus.

Had the plus size since the 6 plus and am tired of a big phone.

7. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Right.

Hence a FOURTH design iteration of the iPhone 6/6+. Which means the physical design hasn't changed at all since September 2014 and won't change again until late 2018.

No thanks.

8. LoveToMacRumors macrumors 68020

LoveToMacRumors

I have the iPhone 6 and no, I won't be upgrading if the iPhone 7S looks the same as the iPhone 6.

9. eyeseeyou macrumors 68000

Not an entirely accurate description considering the camera design is completely different and the home button isn't a button at all anymore. Oh yeah they removed the headphone jack too.

I guess if you're talking about the screen size specifically then you're completely correct.
    --- Post Merged, May 20, 2017 ---
    Honestly, the speed upgrade and user experience in general usage from a 6 to 6s(plus) are very noticeable. Going from a 6 to even just a 7 is night and day.

10. Relentless Power, May 20, 2017
    Last edited: May 20, 2017

Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

You're misunderstanding what he is talking about. The physical design of the chassis is exactly the same as it has been for the iPhone 6/6S/7. A small change of the camera or removal of the headphone jack is not a differential enough of a design when they all look completely the same.

The iPhone has been the same for the last three years in terms of build. There have been different changes that have been incremental, but nothing that's been considered major.

I also would like to see some different changes physically with reduced bezels, perhaps a different casing, edge to edge display, etc. Those are the changes that will separate this iPhone from the past three years.
    This I agree with. Going from the iPhone 6 to the 6S Plus was substantial with the additional ram that made a difference from 1 GB to 2GB.

And going from the iPhone 6 to iPhone 7, there is absolutely no comparison, The iPhone 7 wins with the additional RAM (7 has 2 GB and 7 + has 3GB), A10 fusion processor and overall is much quicker and has less refreshes.

11. maxjohnson2, May 20, 2017

maxjohnson2 macrumors regular

No, I bought the 7 and in retrospect I feel like it is actually an iPhone 6SS. I think the 7S would be a 6SSS.

12. Sweet Pikake macrumors newbie

13. hovscorpion12 macrumors 65816

hovscorpion12

As someone who has updated his iPhone yearly, i think i will take a step back and enjoy what i have. I have the 7 Plus 256GB in Jet Black. This phone is incredibly powerful. i will be enjoying this phone until Apple stops support.

14. Gathomblipoob macrumors 601

Gathomblipoob

Better have Applecare+, then. :D

15. eyeseeyou macrumors 68000

I actually was pretty content with my 6s plus but switching to tmobile they swapped that out for a 7 plus for "free".

I am thoroughly enjoying the upgrades. Very quick as far as general UX goes, enjoying the haptic feedback for interactions, battery life, dual speakers and the camera is amazing. Portrait mode is amazing and perfect for the social media culture we live at the very least.

Also upgraded to a 128gb which I thought was overkill but now that I'm slowly getting into video I kind of wish I had the 256gb.
    I understand completely what he meant and understand your points also. My point is that when speaking in absolutes it's not a true statement to say the 6/plus and the 7/plus look completely the same. It's physically impossible.

16. Relentless Power, May 20, 2017

Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

I think you're borderline reading too deep into this. Yes, we understand there are some various changes with the speaker grill, deleted 3.5 mm Jack, but that's not what Erik was saying. He was saying that the overall chassis and physical design is the same as it has been for three years. Physically, looking at all three models, they're almost indistinguishable. The bezels, the form factor, and design of the chassis is what he was referring to. Not the camera or home Button.

That's not enough to warrant an upgrade if the physical design of the iPhone 8 were to be the same. Reduced antennas and a camera change doesn't make a difference when you factor the whole iPhone proportionally.

17. Math889, May 20, 2017

Math889 thread starter macrumors 65816

8S+ Will be the one to get hahaha
    No design change
    NO OLED screen
    No need to upgrade at least for me

I am very happy with my iPhone 6s+

18. Brandonjr36 macrumors 6502a

No if they don't come out with the iPhone 8 then I'll get the note 8 most likely.

19. eyoungren, May 20, 2017

eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

As an absolute - you are correct. It has indeed changed. But in general terms, as @Relentless Power understands correctly it has not changed.

I have used this example previously, so I will use it again.

If I park a 2012 Nissan Sentra next to my 2013 Nissan Sentra it will be obvious to all that they are of different designs. But if I park a 2017 Nissan Sentra next to my 2013 Nissan Sentra it's not so obvious.

So, my point is that while Apple has indeed changed little cosmetic details since the 6/6+, overall they have not changed the actual physical design of the device.

WE (meaning the members of MacRumors) know what's changed, because using our devices and participating in these forums are what we do. But the average Apple user will look at these devices and see nothing but similarity.

And therein is my opinion. I am unwilling to pay anew for something so similar to what I already have.

20. HPLouis macrumors regular

I'm on Next so I'm going to upgrade. I've reached a point where I'm tired of paying $449 for a 128/256GB iPhone Plus, $100 for Applecare, cases, screen protectors, etc. Now, I just lease my phones. I get the latest phone for a monthly fee ($40x12 mos = $480, pretty close to what I was paying under contract), I don't have to worry about keeping it perfect for the next buyer and I don't have to worry about selling it, getting scammed on eBay or dealing with crazies on Craigslist, etc.

I can live with that.

21. CTHarrryH macrumors 65816

Since I buy and use my iPhones for function and not for looks - if there are functional changes that I want then yes - if not things I use than no. I don't really care if the phone looks the same as one from years ago - it is what it does that is important to me.

22. eyeseeyou macrumors 68000

You mean *aesthetically similar, right?

Sorry really don't mean to come off as trollish but there is a world of difference between the 6 models and the 7 models underneath the hood and just general user experience. 3d touch is awesome.

I guess since you used a car analogy the 7 models, compared to the 6 models, come with a turbo charged engine(faster processor), carplay deck(3d touch), cold air intake and flowmaster mufflers(new front and back cameras), better gas mileage(better battery life), heated seats(more ram?), all wheel drive(waterproof) and plus they removed the 2 ugly lines they had on the front and back of the car.

Although the body style is almost identical, the new model has a performance fender installed(camera bump) on the trunk now, all of those listed features all add up to be a much more enjoyable experience.

Maybe you'd be more interested in something else besides a sentra? Maybe Toyota Corolla(S8) is more of your style.

23. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Yes, aesthetically similar.

I understand that there is indeed a big difference in internals and as someone has already mentioned they care about that over how the device looks.

I use my devices for certain tasks that quite honestly could actually be handled by a flip phone or some similar 'smart' device. I don't need the bleeding edge of tech. As long as the device can make phone calls, text, email and browse the internet that's all I really need.

Hence why my focus is on the aesthetics of the phone - as it can already do what I need it to do.

PS. I don't think you're being trollish. You're engaging in an intelligent discussion between two reasonable people. Hopefully I'm holding up my end. :)

24. KieranDotW macrumors 6502a

This right here. A 7S consisting of mere incremental bumps to the processor, ram and camera is not substantial enough when the 6S and 7 were essentially just that as well. I can't justify paying $1000 for the iPhone 8 if it comes out this year, but I find it even harder to justify paying $649 for the same incremental changes we've seen for the last two years.

And for the record, I'm still using an iPhone 6 Plus and perfectly content to keep it for another year if the above is true.