If there was a new Korean War what happens to the tech industry?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by DakotaGuy, Aug 10, 2017.

1. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

With all the tensions going on between the U.S. and North Korea it made me wonder what happens to the tech industry if South Korea gets pulled into a serious war over there. Considering Samsung and LG are two of the biggest tech companies and suppliers in the world what happens if their operations get shut down? I know they manufacture in other locations as well, but considering many of those are Asian locations you would have to assume they would be effected. If North Korea goes after the tech giants headquarters it would be a disaster for company's even like Apple who rely heavily on Samsung and LG for components.

It's just something I have thought about.

2. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

I guess American based companies will learn that moving their production overseas wasn't such a wise investment.

3. DakotaGuy thread starter macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

4. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

If NK would get rid of Kim they'd be the new China.

5. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

In decades they might catch up to SK, China? Doubtful. Reunification would be 100 times worse than the East/West German reunification.

6. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

This has been a concern at the astute levels since WWI. ;)

7. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

I was just thinking about cheap labor and industries moving there.

8. samcraig macrumors P6

They didn't move their production overseas. These companies existed there and American companies are buying/using their parts and labor. Which American company was ever producing these things that LG and Samsung provides in the US?

9. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Old list and by far not comprehensive.
    Of the top of my head LG and Samsung are laundry machine manufacturers, name two American laundry machine manufacturers of the top of your head.

10. FX120 macrumors 65816

FX120

RCA and GE and others made TVs and household electronics
    Intel, Motorola, Texas Instruments, Fairchild ect. made semiconductors
    Maytag, GE, and others made household appliances
    Motorola made cell phones

Actually pretty much every market that Samsung competes in today including heavy industries was first dominated by a US based company.

11. oneMadRssn macrumors 601

oneMadRssn

Probably the same thing that happened in WWII - all the factories in Europe were destroyed, and the US enjoyed no competition while they rebuilt, but stagnation due to lack of competition ultimately bit the US in the butt.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 10, 2017 ---
    Speed Queen! It's the best, but expensive.

12. 576316 macrumors 601

On a different note: how close are we to the destruction of the North Korean regime and the establishment of something more normal?

13. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

That's the only one I know of off the top of my head. And I have heard the same thing.

14. DakotaGuy thread starter macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

Whirlpool and Speed Queen are it for U.S. ownership. GE still builds them in Louisville, but General Electric sold GE Appliances to the Chinese last year.

15. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

That now owns everybody. I believe they own ever major appliance maker. May tag and Whirlpool were first to merge. They now own or manufacture Kenmore, Frigidare, I think GE.
    Will that country ever resemble normal even when the current regime is toppled.

16. 576316 macrumors 601

Establish a 'normal' democratic government and remove all the Kim dynasty stuff, and I think they'd go a long way towards resembling normal. I think you'd maybe have to drop the North Korea name too, seeing as that might come with too many negative connotations. All the Kim regime buildings would just become a museum, a bit like how people can still go and see Auschwitz. But I fear more the things we'd find out if we were able to effectively 'gut' North Korea, the stuff we didn't know even existed that might come to light...like Kim Jong-Un's bedroom.

17. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Those people have been brainwashed for over 50 years. You can't just tell them your leader is gone everything is better now.

18. DakotaGuy thread starter macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

Whirlpool is the last remaining U.S. owned full line manufacturer of major appliances. Let that sink in for awhile. You're correct that Whirlpool owns Maytag, plus a few other smaller brands like Amana. GE was sold to Haier of China last year. Besides the Korean companies LG and Samsung, Electrolux of Sweden is still a pretty big player in the market with Frigidaire and a few smaller brands, but that's it. Sears Kenmore is still a pretty big brand, but they source from all of the different companies. I own a Kenmore washer and dryer that were built by Whirlpool and a Kenmore fridge that was built by LG.

19. jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

About as close as we are to the destruction of the two-party regime that elected Donald Trump and the establishment of something more normal.

20. jeyf macrumors 6502a

The tech industry is already feeling the bad.

actually the US needs a war, had one with Bush but the Trump version likely nuclear. So not to worry about the tech industry or even the two party system. It is serious. A Trump quote; "why would we make them if we wouldn't use them"

21. DeepIn2U macrumors 603

DeepIn2U

I was just thinking about this.

RAM, Storage, silicon hugely affecting both consumer, business, and enterprise computers, servers, etc.
    Intel would get a HUGE boost in demand for silicon (cpu's but mobile they'll take a few months to catch up)
    Qualcomm would handle mobile cpu's but for RAM/Storage I don't think they're in that business.

Not sure if any American company makes RAM/Storage on par with Samsung, Enix, etc. (I know typo on Enix).

22. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

Whirlpool is the largest manufacturer of appliances in the world. They pretty much bought up/merged with a lot of other brands.
    One sad note though, Maytag and Jenn-Air's long history of reliability went into the toilet after Whirlpool bought them.
    I have an old Jenn-Air refrigerator I bought new about 20+ yeas ago that still runs like a champ.
    I keep it in the garage as a second fridge.

My curent fridge in my kitchen is my third one in 10 years. I had a GE Profile that crapped out after 3 years, a Whirlpool that lasted about 5 years, and now I have a Frigidaire (ElectroLux owns them) that is only two years old and has had to be repaired twice so far under warranty. And that was like pulling teeth as there is only ONE authorized repair company in the entire city.

Looking at a Sub-Zero now.

23. 576316 macrumors 601

I may be ignorant to this, as I'm sure I am, but I thought the majority of North Koreans knew they were living in an oppressive dictatorship regime and that they were being fed lies and propaganda.
    Did someone say impeachment? ;)

24. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Some do. I would guess most don't. There's quite a few videos up on youtube covering North Korea. I know there was a PBS Frontline one called Undercover Korea or something like that.

25. Morpheo macrumors 65816

Morpheo

It worked so well in Iraq I'm sure they'll thank the U.S dearly :rolleyes: