If there's no touchID on the iPhone 8, do they bringing it back on the 8s?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by santela, Jul 31, 2017.

1. santela macrumors regular

The speculated reason for not having Touch ID is the tech isn't ready. If that's the case, does Apple bring back Touch ID next year on the 8s?

I feel like if Touch ID isn't on the 8 then Apple would just have to kill it altogether and claim Face ID is better. Bringing Touch ID back on the 8s would be admitting to the 8 being a compromised product, which is something Apple will never want to do.

2. TheRealAlex macrumors 65816

Who cares I have given Up on the iPhone 8 already here's why.

#1. The tech isn't ready never buy a Gen 1 Apple product we all know that. Can you just imagine the Threads here when people start complaining.
    #2. Serious production delays very small supply amount. On top of that No one wants the 4 year old design of the 7s and 7s Plus so Everyone wants the iPhone 8. The immense hassle to even buy one.
    #3. No Gigabit LTE, Apple is fighting with Qualcomm Apple will be using older Intel and Qualcomm Modems so they can not take Advantage of Icreased Coverage and improved reception.
    #4. We are being played for fools, this years 5.8" OLED Display is sourced from Samsungs Note series with No Home Button and no Bezels it's the Swme size overall as the 4.7" IPhone so it's Ladylike in size. Next Years 8s Plus will be sourced from Samsungs Note Series an they will be 6.4" OLED. So Apple is forcing people to buy the small iPhone. Unless the 8 Plus is the best kept secret ever.
    #5. No matter what you Will Not be Able to buy One Until Middle of 2018. You won't be able to walk into a store and buy one until at least June 2018 and by then just wait for the much improved 8s Plus with A12 CPU.
    #6. No Touch ID, No Gigabit LTE, No Supply, No 3.5 Audio jack, No Plus model, Man This takes Courage.

3. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

How could you possibly "Give up" on an iPhone that you have not even seen yet? That doesn't make any sense.

4. chestvrg macrumors 65816

chestvrg

The fingerprint sensor is probably in the back like the Google Pixel.

5. ssrij Suspended

No.

6. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

I plan on buying one. I'll be busy enjoying it for while you wait 12 months for something that may or may not be what you're after.

7. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

Contigent on

8. recoil80 macrumors 68000

It wouldn't make sense.
    If they can't put touchID under the display this year they ought to provide something different to unlock the phone. Let's say face recognition is the alternative they chose, they invest money in it to make it good enough.
    Why throw away everything after one or two years?
    If face recognition works we'll say goodbye to fingerprints. If face recognition has issues they'll put touchID somewhere else (back or power button) and then embed it on the display as soon as they can.

9. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

Fake rumour/news.

10. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

Only one person I've seen says "Fake news"

11. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

He's usually right as well.

12. iOSUser7 macrumors 6502a

iOSUser7

Alright, let's get started *facepalm* :

#1. This is not a first gen product, the iPhone have been around since 2007.

#2. We don't know **** yet about how many units they will have at launch. Plus you will be surprised to hear how much the 3 year old design iPhone 7 sold well.

#3. Have you ever reached the maximum data speed of your iPhone ? Maybe but me and many more people can barely get close to 100mbps on LTE.

#4. First of all, the new iPhone will most likely have a home button, it's a key feature of the iOS interface. TouchID might be a different story. Second, we don't even know everything about the next iPhone and you are already talking about the 2018 one. Third, since when bigger = better ?

#5. Just like #2, we know nothing officially about how many units they will have at launch and how many they will have after that.

#6. Rumors, rumors and more rumors...

How can you be done with something if it's not even real yet ?

13. santela thread starter macrumors regular

The problem is, once they abandon Touch ID, I don't see it coming back again, because that would be admitting failure.

But if that's the case, everyone else would have fingerprint sensor embedded under the display within a couple of years except Apple.

14. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Everyone knows that there will be no need of external sensors, like the old touchID, or even the corneal scanner.
    All buyers of iPhone 8 will, of course, be required to be chipped.
    Apple stores are all being trained in the use of those insertion tools, and any employee with a health history will not be allowed to perform the chipping procedure.
    So the only person left after that is the guy in the phone repair kiosk out in the mall.

15. michael9891 macrumors 6502a

Absolute crap you mean. He's a spreader of doom and gloom where the 2017 iPhone is concerned. No availability until June next year? Ok then!

16. ejfontenot macrumors 6502

ejfontenot

The reality is this, if 10 years in, you are still buying iPhone because of some new technology enhancements, then the iPhone is not an integral part of your life. I am a 100% Mac person. I don't buy the iPhone because it has some new bell or whistle, I buy it because of the ecosystem built around it.

I have too much money invested in apps and other hardware linked to it to move to the coolest latest greatest Samsung/LG/Google device.

Will I buy the iPhone X. Yes. Will I get it at launch? Never missed a launch yet. Not gonna this time.

17. Infiniverse48, Jul 31, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2017

Infiniverse48 macrumors 6502a

The 10th anniversary of the iPhone is a 'gen 1 product' to this person. Do you really bother continuing to read after you read that? (Tip: the answer is yes, because there is a lot more to laugh about)
    --- Post Merged, Jul 31, 2017 ---
    There is a 0% chance of that
    --- Post Merged, Jul 31, 2017 ---
    I'm not really sure what you mean here. I'm buying the new iPhone most importantly due to the fact that I have a 4.7" iPhone and this one gets me 0.5" larger display in a minutely larger device. The display is the most important aspect to the smartphone, and that is absolutely more of a reason to upgrade to this than all iPhones except the 5, and 6.

18. NBAasDOGG macrumors regular

NBAasDOGG

Unfortunately I have to get the 7S, because it's utterly immoral to charge $1200 ($1600 in EU) for phone lacking touchID. The OLED panel is from Samsung and even they don't charge these insane prices for their phone which includes many more features than the iPhone...

Well, if I was Apple I'd probably done the same thing... milk as hard as you can until the sheeps stop purchasing 250 million units a year. I quess it's our own fault.

19. EM2013 macrumors 65816

EM2013

The iPhone 8 hasn't even been announced yet how are you talking about the "iPhone 8S" already ?

20. santela thread starter macrumors regular

The point is they either have to put it in the 8, or they'll have to kill the feature completely in all future models.

21. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

My favourite is #5. LOL.

I'm not going to say that there's no truth in any of this, but you need to maybe take a break from all the rumours and speculation and just wait and see what Apple actually has in store for us before you make up your mind.

And what is it with you and this whole "ladylike" size thing? Do you seriously define your manhood by the size of your phone?

22. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

They are pushing it on iPad Pro so I can't see them getting rid of Touch ID all together.

This really bothers me cause I still own a launch day iPhone 6 that now sports a broken screen. Touch ID works so well I will be disappointed if it's gone, but still buying the next one.

23. santela thread starter macrumors regular

I, too, am bothered by this. Touch ID is a great feature that I always took for granted.

It looks like the teachnology is not ready, and Apple doesn't like putting half baked features into their product. At the same time I don't see them skipping Touch ID and bringing it back next year either.

24. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Something will have to be done to convince the banks that the new method is foolproof or they will all quit doing Apple Pay.

25. santela thread starter macrumors regular

I agree, which is good news for us hoping to keep Touch ID.