If there's one feature i want, it's the option to bypass the "Slide to Unlock" Screen

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mr.stinki, Aug 4, 2008.

1. mr.stinki macrumors 6502

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

That's like asking Steve Jobs to stop making his stuff looks nice.

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Response from Steve: You just slide your finger, and Boom! Your phone unlocks. Multi-touch gestures. 16GB of storage. Twice as fast as the original iPhone. App Store through iTunes with hundreds of apps, many of them free. Works with Windows and Mac. Only $199. Available immediately.

Notice how the first handful of words address your concern and the rest weaves the reality distortion field around you so that you're lusting after the phone? I'm completely content with EDGE on my first gen iPhone, and I wrote the damn fake Steve text, and now I want a 3G iPhone. :eek: It just ain't right. :(

4. markgamber macrumors 6502

I wouldn't mind getting rid of that thing myself. It's an unnecessary step added to every single thing I do with the phone. Well at least one...god help you if you're not staring at the phone and have to slide it over half a dozen times before it works. Make it an on/off switch in the options. Then the jihadists can be all self righteous while I can get rid of the thing.

5. cjbryce macrumors 6502

cjbryce

+1

How about a "double-click" the standby button to unlock?

6. Bodhi395 macrumors 6502a

I agree!!

I just posted a thread about this issue yesterday,

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=537316

It would be very simple to add this to the settings, just a switch to turn off lock screen. For everyone that still wants it, it will still be there.

7. leodavinci0 macrumors 6502

Agreed, this would be nice. You can't just get rid of slide-to-unlock though, since if the home or sleep button get accidentally pushed in your pocket, waking the phone, who knows what your phone may do.

8. lordhamster macrumors 6502

The first candybar phone I ever owned, I had a keyboard lock enabled, yet somehow in my pocket the phone got activated and dialed my wife. She listened in on the next 30 minutes of conversation and gave me crap about it when I got home. :)

I've heard a story of another guy having his phone in pocket dial home as he was getting a lap dance at a nudie bar.

I'm perfectly happy with the slide to unlock. Anything to prevent accidental unlocking.

9. imaketouchtheme macrumors 65816

There is nothing in your pocket that could make the touch screen responsive. Unless of course you had a sideways key that was attached to an electrical current!

10. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Yup, that would be nice; get rid of that feature or at least deactivate in some way. If you JB, can you bypass?

11. Sweetbike40 macrumors 65816

Sweetbike40

I only have a hard time with it when answering a call. Depending on the situation sometimes it can be awkward. I guess if it were easier to unlock, i could unlock accidently and i'd have a dead battery without even knowing it. Or an answered call sitting in my pocket or bag running up my minutes.

12. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

No if you have thin pockets, and you… I won't go into details. ;)

13. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

I like it because I use the bloody thing instead of a watch; I'm constantly popping it out of my pocket to check the time, and it's nice to just pop it out, hit the home button, see the time, and just slide it back into said pocket. Although, I suppose it would be okay to have a little on/off switch buried somewhere in settings for those of you who *want* your batteries to die ;)

14. lordhamster macrumors 6502

I beg to differ.

I'm able to operate my iphone with my leather golf Glove on with no problems.

15. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

The reason that's there is to prevent accidential dialing, receiving, etc.

The slide to unlock is actually the easiest way to unlock the screen on a candybar phone. But of course a few people don't know usability.

Of course, 1 month after you figure out how to bypass that screen, you are going to be back here crying that OMG you just got a phone bill for $1,000 because you dialed a number of calls by accident, your life is ruined, etc.

16. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

Yup. Quoted For Truth.

I think some people just want change for the sake of change.

17. Bodhi395 macrumors 6502a

Do you know how hard it would be to accidently call someone? You'd have to first accidently hit the sleep/wake or home button to activate your phone. Then somehow accidently click on your contacts, and then accidently click a contact, and then accidently click on the phone number! All this from a touch screen that won't work without actually touching it with your fingers, your loose change will not control the touch screen. I don't see it being a problem.

I would gladly experiment with not using a lock screen, I doubt anything would happen except it making it much easier to control my phone. All I want is the option.

18. schatzie macrumors member

I don't mind having it the lock screen. I have a passcode enabled anyway because I get my company's emails.

However, I would love to have a small icon up on top telling me I have emails instead of having to unlock, enter in the passcode, just to see if I have mails or not. A little icon next to the lock or something would be nice.

Or they already have the missed call and calendar notifications on the screen when locked, I wish they would add mail notifications too.

19. JajoPGH macrumors regular

20. poolish macrumors regular

I know how easy it is to accidentally call some one with the iphone in my pocket, in fact I know how easy it is to call 3 people in one night because I didn't lock the screen. oops.

21. customerservice macrumors newbie

why are people arguing with the OP? all he wants is an option to bypass the sliding lock.

22. Bodhi395 macrumors 6502a

How exactly did you call someone with it in your pocket, I still don't see how that can happen?? Did you have it set to never go to sleep and stick your hands in your pockets alot that night?

23. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

I don't think anybody's "arguing" with anybody. They are simply stating why this would be a bad thing or why they don't need it.

Kinda what the forum is here for. ;)

24. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

No, the cloth on the inside of your pocket will not stop the touch screen from working with your leg.
    There are multiple times that I have forgotten to lock my phone, slid it in my pocket, and gotten a call back from someone a few minutes later asking why I just called them and they could only hear me in the background.

25. markgamber macrumors 6502

LOL! Amen! Wow, can't even stand the thought of an option. I'm starting to get the distinct impression that this is wrong site for ideas. If I posted that on a clear day the sky is blue, I wonder how many people would argue about it?