If there's one thing I want to take advantage of OpenCL…

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by grue, Jul 3, 2009.

1. grue macrumors 65816

…it's SmoothCam Analysis. Jeeeeeeeeeeeezus.

I know this isn't mac pro/Power Mac specific, but I'm sure more than a few of you share my pain

2. Dr.Pants macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

Probably needs to be written into the NLE for the advantage to have any real effect; we can probably see a speedup for smoothcam in FCS3. (Coming as soon as 10.6.1 comes out)

But you never know; FCS2 could get an update so that various filters/etc use OpenCL as provided in SL; its just that the application hasn't been optimised for the task.

I take it you are still waiting for a render to finish?

3. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

4. TheStrudel macrumors 65816

TheStrudel

Agreed. I've found smoothcam to be disappointing in how little it can really help. Though this is something else I'm expecting to tap into GCD and other such things in the next updates of OS X and FCS.

5. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

I have one that cost me $2K on WinTel that does a great job! Still, if you can get steady footage through camera stabilization or dampening devices and techniques in the first place, so much the better! I want shake&pan margins within the framing I composed the shots in - shake removal or "smoothing" can kill that in too many cases.

6. grue thread starter macrumors 65816

Yeah, I had a really long helicopter shot that needed just a littttttttle bit of stabilization, and it took a frickin' time to analyze :eek:

7. grue thread starter macrumors 65816

Hey, I'm just an editor :D