If they appear @ WWDC, which of these 3 rumored 13" notebooks would be your 1st pref?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Jobsian, Jun 9, 2012.

?

Which of these 3 notebooks would be your 1st preference?

1. Same MBP design, retina, no optical bay but discrete GPU, LV CPU

16.2%
  2. Thinner MBP, retina, lighter, no optical bay but LV CPU, no discrete GPU

25.7%
  3. Upgraded MBA, retina, thinnest+lightest, no discrete GPU, ULV CPU

58.1%
  1. Jobsian macrumors 6502a

Jobsian

There are various rumors flying around (eg here and 9 to 5 mac) about likely announcements this Monday. I'm curious to know what your preferences are for 3 of the touted models that may appear, using the 13" model only in this poll for simplicity.

Assume hypothetically that they have approximately the same spec otherwise (eg SSD size, RAM options).

2. kylera macrumors 65816

kylera

Third option, but that is because writing is my primary job and I work a lot on the go.

3. Jobsian thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jobsian

Likewise, I use the machine on the go all the time. I went for option 3 but I might still be tempted by the 2nd depending on the exact differences I guess (eg whether it has a better battery).

4. Boilerhead macrumors newbie

I like the new thinner MBP. I don't need the optical drive, the battery life should be better than the MBA, and the retina display should be pretty sweet!:D

5. Blu-Ray macrumors regular

I don't need a dGPU but like the upgrade-ability of the MBP. The redesigned MBP in the poll would be my choice.

6. Benguitar Guest

Benguitar

Re-designed MBP, with optical bay, possibly thinner/lighter. I guess retina display.

7. KPOM macrumors G5

Only 2 more days before we find out! If they have a nice higher-resolution MacBook Air the same size as the 11.6" version, I just might be putting my 2011 on the Marketplace.

That said, if the new Airs still have lower-resolution screens, but there is a 13" MacBook/MacBook Pro with a Retina Display, I'd also give that a serious look, assuming it is the 18mm design with SSD. I can't see getting a 15" notebook ever.

There were a lot of interesting Ultrabooks announced this past week. While Apple has already ruled out touchscreens (which a LOT of the late 2012 designs appear to have), hopefully they saw the trend toward higher resolution screens and won't limit it to the Pro models. ASUS has a 1920x1080 screen available in an 11.6" design. That might well be enough to be called "Retina" if Apple crams one into the 11.6" Air.

If the new Airs are simply Ivy Bridge refreshes (presumably with USB 3.0 and 6Gbps SATA III SSDs), I might wait until the Haswell version next year. Either way, Haswell might bring a more radical exterior redesign, since the current unibody design will be about 3 years old by then.

8. saleemyas3 macrumors regular

If theres a redesigned MBP 13" under $1300 then ill go with that (it has to be like the rumored 15 inch one though). If not ill go for the updated 13" air with retina.

9. jgc macrumors regular

The rumoured thinner MBP, if they had them in 13", would no doubt get my attention. The current style MBP is out of the question. Seeing as how I don't see the former option happening, MBA it is.

If they announced that the thinner MBP would come in August, I'd just go for the MBA. My laptop is barely hanging on by a thread and I can't put off buying a laptop for another 2 months.

10. KohPhiPhi macrumors 6502a

I am happy with ULV CPU and HD4000 GPU. All I need is 8gb RAM, increased resolution (no need for retina), matte screen, 256gb SSD, long battery life, no-DVD, USB 3.0. Whether it is an upgraded MBA or a thinner MBP, I dont care.

11. KPOM macrumors G5

Of course, it is also possible that the current 13" MacBook Air will be replaced by the 'thinner 13" Pro' and rebranded as simply MacBook. We might see the entire line rebranded as MacBook except if they decide to keep refreshed versions of the older Pro models around with optical drives for another year or so.

12. jgc macrumors regular

Didn't think of that. Hm. I could see that being possible, but I'm not sure how likely it is. It would make sense since they could keep the 11" Air as the "ultra portable" and have the MBA/MBP 13" combo for people who still want better portability without a compromise in power. But I'm still really skeptical whether or not they even release a thinner 13" at all.

I think it's more likely that they won't try to make a thinner 13" (it would be too similar to the MBA) and they'll just leave it as it is for people who want power + ODD. The 15" will get slimmer, no alternative with ODD etc. and 17" if it still exists would also get slimmer, no alternative with ODD etc.

13. LaWally macrumors 6502a

Option 3 but only if it has 8GB standard or as a BTO.

14. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

I'm in the minority here, but option 1 would be incredible. I'd love a dedicated graphics card in a 13" MBP.