If they had the same internals, would you rather have the 5C body or the 5S body?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by user-name-here, Sep 2, 2013.

?

If the iPhone 5C and 5S had the same specs / internals, which body would you prefer?

1. I'd prefer the iPhone 5C's polycarbonate

17 vote(s)
    22.1%
  2. I'd prefer the iPhone 5S's aluminum and chamfered edges

60 vote(s)
    77.9%
  1. user-name-here macrumors 65816

If the iPhone 5C and 5S had the same specs / internals, which body would you prefer:

The polycarbonate or the aluminum with chamfered edges that scuff?

Also curious as to why you would go with your choice :)

2. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

3. AAPLinc, Sep 2, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2013

AAPLinc macrumors 65816

I was just thinking this yesterday. I obviously love the finished and polished look of aluminum, but the polycarbonate looks neat (in white or black). Having a plastic iPhone seems kind of weird, like going back in time. I wonder how light it will be. Either way, I usually slap a case onto my phone.

BECAUSE they won't have the same internals (supposedly) I will most likely go for the 5S. Getting the 5C would be like getting the 5, and I have a 4S, so I'd much rather get the newest, fastest iPhone.

Plus, the 5C looks a little bit "teenager". It has a certain hip, trendy look to it, and the 5S just looks very business like and clean, more adult. I wonder if the 5C is more durable? I do love durability.

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

5. Firesign3394 macrumors regular

People would think I was cheap if I had the 5C... the same thing I think when I see people with android phones (that aren't flagship).

6. paulsdenton macrumors 6502

paulsdenton

I like the aluminum one over the plastic version.

My 3GS started cracking on the back so I'm a bit nervous about a plastic body.

Truth to tell; I liked the iPhone 4 glass case the best, but I know that's a thing of the past!

7. AAPLinc macrumors 65816

You're that worried about what people think? Some people still have basic flip phones, I highly doubt your average person would look at someone with an iPhone 5C and think "you're cheap". Like I said, an average person wouldn't think that. A pompous prick would.

8. ritmomundo macrumors 68000

ritmomundo

They've chosen the most awful color scheme for the 5C. I have a feeling that the 5C won't be released in the US.

9. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

Has Apple ever released anything that wasn't available in the U.S.? Serious question.

10. AAPLinc macrumors 65816

Agreed. The US is their biggest market (China is 2nd). They would never just not release something in the US especially their flagship product, the iPhone.

11. Enco macrumors member

The 5C looks like a Chinese knock off you can buy on the streets for a few $.

You're insane to prefer it over the 5S.

12. AAPLinc, Sep 2, 2013

AAPLinc macrumors 65816

I don't personally prefer it over the 5S, but you'll be surprised at how many people will have the 5C. Most likely more teenagers will have it, because parents like the idea of a cheaper iPhone. Apple is smart to offer it. To be honest, we haven't seen the actual 5C in person, so I wouldn't say it looks like a cheap knockoff yet. Does it look cheaper than the 5S? Sure, because it's plastic. But if you put a case on it, that changes everything.

The biggest reason why I wouldn't get the C is because it will supposedly have iPhone 5 internals, and I want the fastest, best iPhone.

13. Akack macrumors 6502a

Lol, this is not even gona be close...... alumn all the way!!!

14. CTHarrryH macrumors 65816

Since it goes in a case ASAP - what difference would the body material make to me. What isn't in your poll is price. If big difference in price that would make a big difference - if small difference go for the metal

15. AAPLinc macrumors 65816

That's exactly what I said, most iPhones go in a case (not all) but your average iPhone consumer DOES buy a case. The cheaper price will sell A LOT of 5C's. 5C's in a case won't look terribly different than the 5S.

Like I said, I'm getting the 5S because of the upgraded internals, but I'd like to hold a 5C and see what it feels like in the hand. It's funny, when the 5 came out people were complaining about dings, dents, etc and a lot of people were saying "MAKE THE IPHONE POLYCARBONATE NOT ALUMINUM" (I remember reading countless people say that on here), now that they are offering a polycarbonate option, people are saying "THAT'S CHEAP!" :confused:

16. inselstudent macrumors 6502a

I can still see the hairline cracks on the 3G I used to own...never again.

17. whtrbt7 macrumors 6502a

If only they could make an indestructible iPhone like out of adamantium.....:D

18. ritmomundo, Sep 2, 2013

ritmomundo macrumors 68000

ritmomundo

I don't know. But even if they haven't yet, it doesn't mean they never will. In initial reports, the low-cost iPhone was supposed to be targeted specifically for developing countries (ie. India, Brazil, China, etc.) where the regular iPhone is way too expensive for people.

1 of many articles discussing this: http://appleinsider.com/articles/13...-65-of-smartphone-market-with-low-cost-iphone

19. AAPLinc macrumors 65816

It could be "targeted" to them, but not exclusive to them. Again, Apple would never limit the products they sell in the US. Ever. A smart company such as Apple, would never do anything that compromises cash flow. A lot of people in the US are interested in a lower cost iPhone as well, not just in China. Believe me. People on this forum aren't "average" iPhone consumers. Most of us would prefer the alum 5S.

20. Markiie macrumors 6502

Markiie

That is bold but man........ if that were you to be right I'll come back here and give you huge credit! Not saying it won't happen or that you're crazy but its the first time I've seen someone come up with that theory and kudos to you if you're right.

21. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Not really - many people were speculating the the 'C' in 5C stands for China, though now most people agree that it would stand for colour. Early MR posts debating the name 5C had many people guessing that it wouldn't be sold in the US.

Unless the post was sarcastic, then massive 'whoosh' on my part :p

22. AAPLinc macrumors 65816

People who think the C in 5C stands for China, I HOPE were being sarcastic. If not, they lack intelligence.

Again, I HIGHLY HIGHLY doubt that Apple would release a product in China and not the US, it would be the other way around. They have it available because they know there is probably a bigger market for a cheaper option in China, but they will still sell like hotcakes in the US, you bet your bottom dollar. The C would most likely stand for color, as they are rumored to be available in an array of colors. Teens people, teens will love them.

23. 617aircav Suspended

Those reports never came from apple. Until apple announces it's just speculation.

24. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

It may be more accessible to developing countries but it doesn't mean it won't be released in the US.

25. Infinitewisdom macrumors 6502

5S every day of the week and twice on Sunday. The 5C looks hideous, but that's just my opinion.