If they release a revised iPad instead of the mini …

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Yr Blues, Sep 21, 2012.

?

(poll question in first post)

1. no

57.6%
  2. yes

25.4%
  3. maybe

13.6%
  4. i don't know

3.4%
  1. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

… half as thick, half the weight, Lightning connector, and throw in some EarPods

Would it be enough to quell the thirst for a smaller version?

2. blackbelter macrumors member

With A6X, that is my dream! To hell with Surface!

3. AL123 macrumors newbie

i'd want a fix for my new ipad screen. it should be as white/uniform as an ipad 2. and brighter as well. that's all. need no other revision.

4. blackbelter macrumors member

You do know that even if they revise the iPad line soon, you won't get it on the one that you have already purchased...

5. AL123 macrumors newbie

i have 2 more days to decide whether to keep it or send it back to UK. the only reason i'm lurking around here is to see what iOS 6 can do to improve the screen. or the fact that many claim these display issues fade away after a while. they say previous ipads had it too. i'm guessing next revision wouldn't be any different, if it's true that it takes time for the glue effect to disappear.

i can't find any evidence to support the above claims made by users here.
    but apple should furnish an official statement.

6. blackbelter macrumors member

I see. Good luck then... After all, we agree that it's for the best that they will revise the iPad line asap!

7. Yr Blues thread starter macrumors 68020

8. adildacoolset macrumors 65816

If they released a revised one, I'd fly to the USA and have my size 8 shoe up Timothy Dowell Cook's backside. Because I just got an iPad.

9. poloponies macrumors 68030

Wow, a laws-of-physics-defying iPad??? I'm in!!

10. Yr Blues thread starter macrumors 68020

half is an exaggeration, but apple strives for thinner and lighter almost all the time (im looking at you ipad 3)

11. jrswizzle macrumors 603

jrswizzle

As long as they add that IGZO screen....I have a feeling you're talking about the next iPad Pro.

The iPad mini will still come out this October, meaning the iPad 2 will no longer be available (I find it VERY hard to believe they'll sell an iPad mini, iPad 2 and iPad (pro) at the same time).

Retina display, 32 GB storage, lightning connector and a price tag starting at $349 ($150 cheaper than current iPad, $50 more than the iPod touch).

I also think the difference in price as you increase in memory storage will be $50 instead of $100. i.e. the 64GB mini will be $399.

Those two price points (regardless of Android competition prices) will sell a BOATLOAD of iPad minis....because they are that much cheaper than the pro. Sure it'll probably cannibalize iPad (pro) sales until the 4th gen comes out. But the 4th gen iPad will move to an A6X chip while the mini will be an A5X or A6. Bigger iPad will have more power and larger screen and mobile connectivity. That's what'll set it apart.

Just my $0.02

12. mwulf67 macrumors regular

Voted no...I am in the market for a <$300 tablet (2 actually, and I might go a tad higher if it means I can keep everyone in the family on the some OS)...a mini-iPad has a chance to meet that need/want; what you proposed does not...

13. jbimler macrumors regular

I'd be jealous, and a little pissed, but would wait to upgrade until the 4th gen comes out. I can only handle the process of selling so often.

14. mantan macrumors 68000

I agree. At this point I'm looking for less expensive alternatives to supplement the current iPad in the house. A revised $700 iPad doesn't do that. It's either going to be 2 iPad minis or 2 Google Nexuses. I'm hoping the mini comes out, but either way I'll buy 2 of something this holiday season.

15. Defender2010, Sep 23, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2012

Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

Would anyone buy an iPad if it looked like an iPhone 5, but obviously larger than one? I mean,,,squared off edges, slightly thicker though the iPhone 5 too.

16. Luckybobby macrumors regular

HAHAHAHA iPad pro HAHAHAHA $349 $399 HAHAHAHA iPad mini HAHAHAHA

17. bp1000 macrumors 65816

I never wanted a smaller iPad

It's perfect the way it is and apple innovate not react to competitor product placement

18. Candlelight macrumors 6502a

Candlelight

I'm the opposite. I hate large screen tablets. I wanted a Blackberry Playbook but that's like buying a Beta player or HD DVD machine...

Can't wait till the Mini comes out.

19. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

No, lighter weight and slimmer profile doesn't fix the to-large-screen-for-some-uses issue.

20. MrMacBookPro macrumors 6502

The mini would most definitley get a lightning connector IMO... Why keep it the same and then u have to buy another adaptor.. Seems silly. Also i think the refresh for the Retina Display is a little silly as well.. Manufacturing all new retina display doesn't seem cost effective.. they should push it for March or 2013 for the new one..

21. Buckeyestar macrumors 6502a

Buckeyestar

If make the iPad 1/2 the weight rather than release a mini, I think I'd be interested. As long as the battery life and specs at least remain the same or improve.

22. duggram macrumors 6502

duggram

If there's no mini I won't have an iPad. If I wanted a current iPad I'd buy one. I'm glad that the folks with the big iPads are happy with them. Lots of my friends have them. From day one I knew it wasn't for me.

So if there's not going to be a mini iPad then I'll stick with my Kindle Fire. Without a mini the Fire is the perfect compliment to an rMBP (but it's got the wrong OS, it's quirky, etc...).

23. MrMacBookPro macrumors 6502

Kindle is making a nice 8.9'' screen.. looks really nice... My co worker has the Fire and loves it..

24. Oohara macrumors 68020

Oohara

The whole point of a Mini would be to have it smaller, not just thinner.

25. duggram macrumors 6502

duggram

The Fire has a form factor that works for me. Use it in bed, on the plane, on the couch.... It's the right size for everywhere, for me.