If Trump had run as a Democrat

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MadeTheSwitch, Nov 5, 2016.

?

If Trump was running as a Democrat instead of a Republican how would you vote?

Poll closed Nov 8, 2016.
  1. I'm a Republican voting for Trump but wouldn't if he were running as a Democrat

3 vote(s)
    5.7%
  2. I'm a Republican voting for Trump but would cross party lines and vote Democrat for him

2 vote(s)
    3.8%
  3. I'm a Republican but not voting for Trump and still wouldn't

1 vote(s)
    1.9%
  4. I'm a Democrat not voting for Trump, but would vote for him in that case

1 vote(s)
    1.9%
  5. I'm a Democrat not voting for Trump, and still wouldn't

33 vote(s)
    62.3%
  6. I'm a Democrat who IS voting for Trump and would support no matter what

1 vote(s)
    1.9%
  7. I'm an Independent voting for Trump and still would either way

1 vote(s)
    1.9%
  8. I'm an Independent who is NOT voting for Trump and still wouldn't

11 vote(s)
    20.8%
  1. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

I'm curious how things would shake out if Trump had a D in front of his name instead of an R. In other words, how partisan is everyone here? Or does this transcend partisanship? Let's find out.

Non U.S posters, sorry, this poll isn't for you. I just want to see how actual votes would change and the poll choices are long enough as it is. But you can post your thoughts in the comments if you want.

2. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

Sorry, this is a scenario that would never happen because unlike the Republican party, Democrats would never allow someone like Trump to win in the primaries.

3. Praxis91 macrumors regular

Praxis91

Depends who he was running against on the R ticket TBH. I'm third party, but I supported Rand Paul from the start because I feel that he would defeat any Dem in an absolute landslide. If it was Trump vs Rand, then I would vote Rand. If it was Trump vs some cuck RINO, then I would vote Trump as a big **** you to the establishment. Actually, that's why I'm voting for Trump now.

4. JesperA macrumors 6502a

They let Hillary win so they are just as morally corrupt

5. MadeTheSwitch thread starter macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Just playing hypothetical here. Obviously some of his policies would have to be a bit different. But if the man was basically the same, how far does that star power get him? That's what I am curious about.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 5, 2016 ---
    Thank you! That was exactly the kind of thing I was trying to see...if it's the man, or the party that is the biggest factor here. You have me wondering how many other Republicans would follow suit. We know some will cross party to vote Hillary and avoid Trump, I guess some would cross party to embrace him too.

Very interesting.

6. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

You're right. The DNC would cheat and scheme against Trump to make sure Hillary won the same way they did with Bernie.

7. werked macrumors regular

werked

True, because they would rig it against anyone but their insider. Ask Bernie.

8. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Oh I definitely think there will be some registered Dems who will vote for Trump, but they'll be from the blue dog side of the party. More of those would cross this year than would registered independents usually leaning left. The latter I would expect to hold nose and vote for Clinton. But some blue dogs, yeah, they'll cross. The thing is I think a lot of blue dogs left the Dems already and are already reggied independents leaning right... and they will go for Trump too. The blue dogs used to be more about fiscal conservatism, now the category has got much more directly hooked into 2A politics. This year, this Democrat, the blue dogs are Republicans LOL.

9. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Hahaha this is hilarious when you look at the fact that the DNC actively cheated to get a criminal, Hillary, in the position.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 5, 2016 ---
    If Trump was running D he would have been excused for his alleged womanizing (Bill Clinton anyone?).

10. 5684697 Suspended

Where is the SMOD 2016 Option?

Your poll is biased against hurtling rocks of destruction. Which describes the two nominees of the traditional parties fairly well.

I support a nominee grounded in mass and physics. No flip flopping, just resolute focus on one thing- destroying humanity.

It will all be over soon.

11. MadeTheSwitch thread starter macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Isn't Trump already being excused for womanizing now as a Republican?

Sorry, I couldn't account for every possibility. The poll had a large number of choices as it was!

12. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

No, I'm sure it's being perceived as a shortcoming from years in the past, Hillary is really just that bad though.

13. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

You have clearly blown the minds of every Republican on this board. Or LOL there are no Republicans on the board. And so far we have one vote in total for Trump, from some blue dog Dem who's already voting for Donny the faux-Republican and would stick with him if Trump flipped back to being a Dem. Interesting. A little disconcerting to Reince Priebus maybe.

So what I want to know is this: are all these other right wingers on the board voting for Johnson, McMullin, the meteor, or just staying home because --heh-- they're now unmasked as too dumb to read the ballot?

14. Praxis91 macrumors regular

Praxis91

Sure, no prob. I'm third party and I live in a blue state (for now) so essentially my vote doesn't matter, but I love the idea of giving a big **** you to the establishment.

FWIW, I think both parties are the same at the highest level aka establishment level (except for abortion and gun control), but those issues will "go away" for establishment GOP just like illegal immigration and repealing/replacing the ACA. It's just a matter of time.

15. MadeTheSwitch thread starter macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

The past? He's been like that his entire adult life. Why would they think anything has changed? There are even rumors that he cheated on his current wife.

16. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

If there was someone better than Trump, I'd vote for them. So if I felt that R > Trump-D than R gets my vote. I don't support Trump because he's Republican or because he's Trump; it's just because I don't like Hillary.

I don't align myself with any parties.

17. MadeTheSwitch thread starter macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Interesting. So far Trump is getting rejected pretty strongly. But I'd like more Republicans to weigh in. You guys are awfully quiet!

18. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

They're depressed... it takes longer to figure things out when once is depressed.... (either that or they're too busy playing the 2D verison of Rubik's Cube trying to get the US map to 270 EC for their hero).

Here's what I wonder about though: which way the independents will go. We don't really know for sure why indies are not registered to a party. So in this year of populism from left and right both, do we look at stats on who the indies are, like how old, whether educated, etc. ?

19. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Current party rules presumably would have prevented it.

Just as morally corrupt as what? And, please state your definition of "corrupt" and "morally corrupt", so that I can understand what you meant.

Please define what you mean by "rig".

20. v0lume4 macrumors 65816

v0lume4

Like how they didn't allow Bernie Sanders to win.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 6, 2016 ---
    This is such a fascinating poll. I've never thought so hard about an answer the entire time I've been on MR. Hmm.

I genuinely like Trump and his values that he's running for. It isn't just a Rep vs Dem thing for me. So I'd like to say that I'd vote for him, even if he were a Democrat. Like if he were saying the exact same thing he is now, I'd vote for him.

But what if the Rep candidate running at the same time was even better? Argh! So hard to say. To be frank, I think the republicans are nearly as messed up as the democrats, so I'd probably still vote for Trump. Down with the establishment! :D

21. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

That's a good question. Trump running as a Dem, would not have made it past the front runners of the primaries stating the things he has stated. But since he's panders to whatever crowd benefits him, he probably would be stating the complete opposite of what he's saying now. Also, the video/audio with Billy Bush most likely would have not been released. But rest assure the GOP would have made a HUUUUUGE deal about Trump University and failure to release taxes.

So the real question is .... Would Trump still be the Trump we know today with a (D) after the name? I think he would easily fool many Dems as well as he's fooling Reps.

22. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Trump wouldn't have had a chance in hell of winning the Democratic primary. Not just because the DNC was backing Hillary, but also since he wouldn't have had the benefit of a chaotic playing field from which to make himself stand out through media manipulation, and also because liberals and conservatives have very different views on these so called "self-made men".

23. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

I slightly disagree. A large portion of Bernie supporters were die hard liberal wannabe progressives. Trump would of had no problem pandering to that crowd and they would have felt for it.

24. MadeTheSwitch thread starter macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

No. You know why? Because of the whole birther thing that was not only obviously a big lie like so many things that comes out of Trump"s mouth, but also offensive to most democrats since that's who he was attacking.

25. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Wasnt Trump basically a Democrat up until 8 years ago when he first floated the idea of running.