'If Trump loses, I'm grabbing my musket'

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by citizenzen, Oct 26, 2016.

1. citizenzen Suspended

Now the only thing I can say on his behalf, is that by using the word "musket," he's being metaphorical. But as we come closer to the end of this election, the rhetoric from the right is getting worse and worse. In every presidential campaign there has been a winner and a loser. The loser's recourse is to wait another four years before trying again, not to threaten to revolt and potential harm to their fellow citizens.

When the discussion concerns Islamic fundamentalists, the right regularly expects that moderate Muslims should speak out and condemn their more radical counterparts. So I'll ask the conservative members here in PRSI, which one of you will step forward and condemn people who talk about armed revolt over this election?

2. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

I'm conservative and disapprove of speech like that.

I'm also anti-Clinton but that doesn't necessarily mean I'm a Trump supporter either. I'm getting the short end of the stick no matter what.

3. citizenzen thread starter Suspended

I remember the first time G. W. Bush was elected, I said to my wife, "He won the election. We need to give him every chance to succeed and work with him over the next four years."

She looked at me like I had two heads ... and was disgusted by both of them. :D

Thanks for being a reasonable man.

4. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

should he do it, someone should just roll up with Tammy Duckworth, and tell him, "See this wonderful representative of your state, and soldier of our armed forces? Yeah.. you got pwned in your last election by this vagina."

Then watch him scuttle away with his tail between his legs.

;)

BL.

5. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

But, I bet he stands for the National Anthem, so it's all good.

I mean, can you imagine what this guy and those who think like him would say if Colin Kaepernick, or some NBA player, had said the same thing in support of their cause?

6. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

So the election makes him feel tense and he's going to jack off steam? Seems reasonable to me. I am of course assuming that "musket" is a euphemism.

7. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

Good advice.

8. chown33 macrumors 604

I thought the title said "I'm grabbing my muskox", and I'm all, "But what about the Icelandic horses?".

Then I thought it said "muskrat", and I thought of The Captain and Tenille. Sorry for the earworm.

9. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

I thought only liberals were violent??

10. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Meanwhile we have sections of the populace actually looting and burning their neighbourhoods to the ground.

11. Zenithal macrumors 68040

That's cute. If Trump wins, I won't pick up my assortment of long distance rifles. We're trying to curb gun violence, not influence more of it.

There's a joke to be made here, but I fear it's too racy for PRSI.

12. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

He should have run for POTUS. If that euphemism is indeed true, then his hands would be bigger than Trump's. ;)

BL.

13. Jess13 Suspended

Jess13

14. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Hey, I'd much prefer a musket rampage over a semi-automatic rampage.

15. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Which is good except it seems to continue to affirm sexism and related ********, in a reverse-sexist sort of way. The goal of progressing would be to overlook, not be played by, gender stereotypes. Who cares what a person looks like or what their body parts are. The Elephant Man/Hunchback of Notre Dame would make a better Pres/VP choice than some running but you know nobody will vote for them because they look ugly and must therefore be evil (and with ever-so-tiny penises dangling for theatrical effect, of course).

16. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Wow.. I really wasn't expecting anyone to take that post seriously, unless they really felt that their masculinity was severely threatened.

Perhaps next time I should include a ;)

Or on the other hand, perhaps men who do this to women are now walking a mile in their shoes, and are realizing that if they are offended, they should stop being equally as offensive.

BL.

17. vrDrew macrumors 65816

I'm going to assume this Joe Walsh isn't the same guy who played Rocky Mountain Way and Life's Been Good with the James Gang.

Yeah. The Tea Party has been spouting idiotic nonsense for eight years now. And I swear to god, I haven't heard a lick of sense out of any of them yet. Silly old white people in ugly clothes.

From a purely practical perspective, I'd struggle to think of a worse weapon to take on authority than a musket. Because a smoothbore muzzleloading flintlock musket (British Brown Besses or French Charlevilles - the type George Washington's Continental Army carried) is accurate to about thirty yards. It takes the best part of a minute to load, a cumbersome process involving pouring gunpowder down the muzzle, and then ramming a soft lead ball wrapped in greased paper in after it. You then need to pour some more gunpowder into a little pan on the breech of the gun. And it's useless in the rain, because if that powder in the pan gets wet, it turns into incombustible sludge. You would, quite literally, be better off with a bow and arrow or a spear. Smoothbore muskets were only an effective weapon when used in volley fire from a company or more of soldiers, standing shoulder to shoulder, in formation. In untrained hands a musket is more of hazard to the person trying to shoot it than any potential adversary. They frequently hang-fire - meaning you pull the trigger, a spark pops in the pan - but the main charge doesn't ignite, leaving you with a potential time bomb in your hands (don't try looking down the barrel while you try and get the charge out.) After a couple dozen shots the barrel gets so clogged with partially burned powder it becomes difficult to ram the ball down properly; requiring time-consuming cleaning. But before you get to that point, you'll probably start feeling nauseated from the gunpowder you've swallowed. Musket cartridges came wrapped in brown paper you had to bite open - because you've only got two hands, and one of them is holding the weapon you are attempting to load. Flintlock muskets also rely on a surprisingly delicate piece of specially shaped stone (the flint) not fall out of the lock, or break off while being fired. (This happened quite a lot.) It's also not much use firing a musket from cover - because the black powder creates a thick cloud of smoke and gives away your position.

If you've ever wondered why the Three Musketeers spent so much time waving swords around, i think you now know the answer.

So, Congressman Walsh - No thanks. I'll leave the muskets in the museum where they belong.

18. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

the potential winner of this election approved the sale of Uranium to Russia after her payout of course, rigged the election, has taken millions from nations who kill gays & stone women on top of funding ISIS and looks the other way because well, 25 million in donations can do such a thing. laughed while Killing Kaddafy and is hell bent on taking out Assad under the pretense of "humanitarian" reasons, never mind the fiasco in Libya has created 1000's of dead 4 years still after they were liberated and has created over 2.5 million displaced Libyans.

you worry about an orange troll who says mean thins starting WWII while overlooking the actual ACTIONS of psychotic woman. ..... I know I know, you have no choice.
    [​IMG]

19. lowendlinux, Oct 27, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2016

lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

No matter who wins on the 8th I'll go to work on the 9th muttering about American stupidity but I'll be over it after breakfast.

20. Fancuku macrumors 6502a

Fancuku

Right, and if Trump wins, you're all moving to Canada.

Same crap, different election.

21. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

Canada is nice it's got mountains, lakes, and not so many people. Sounds like a win to me :D

22. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Hilary isn't a pathological liar though. That's Trump.

She also isn't a criminal. I don't think a peon who did what she did with classified information would go to prison.

23. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Has this ****ing deadbeat dad paid his child support yet?

24. APlotdevice, Oct 27, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2016

APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

No, but having an egotistical moron whose also a pathological liar and criminal is an even worse idea.

I don't worry about Trump's words. I worry about his behavior. His intense paranoia, belief in his absolute correctness, and severe intolerance towards criticism is a dictatorship in the making. (Hopefully the American system is immune to such a thing, but he could still cause a lot of damage in trying)

25. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

I'm an actual Liberal and I, too, am getting the short end of the stick no matter what. That is how elections work.

John Adams was not happy to leave after one term, and, neither was his son John Quincy Adams. Back in the day, when they taught us history, this peaceful transition of power was said to be a Good Thing in contrast to the Civil War, which was the alternative.