If u arent eligible for an "upgrade" do you have to pay full retail price????

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by VideoNewbie, Oct 20, 2011.

1. VideoNewbie macrumors 6502

if you are not eligible for an upgrade with at&t does that mean that you have to pay the full retail price of the iphone? (what is it like 700 something?)

i dont understand when at&t advertises "Special pricing" for ppl who are eligible for an upgrade (their 2year contracts are up) yet this special pricing is the same exact thing for people who are still in the middle of their contracts??

can someone clarify this for me?

2. davelanger macrumors 6502a

IF your contract is half up, sometimes you can get the phone for cheaper than the 700 bucks.

For example, if the 16G iphone costs $199 for new or upgrade eligible users, someone that has one year or less sometimes can get a special deal of $299 for a new phone.

Usually they tack on an extra 100 to the subsudized price. IF you go to apple or an att/verizon store hte will tell you how much it would cost.

It seems ATT makes it easier to upgrade your phone and not paying the full price of the phone

3. vastoholic macrumors 68000

vastoholic

My full upgrade date is April 2012. AT&T is saying that the 32GB version would cost me $550 if I wanted it now.

4. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

I don't think this is correct...

AFAIK for 16gb it's $199 upgrade eligible, $399 early upgrade, 599 full retail (add $100 per 16gb extra)

----------

so yours is $150 off then

5. lateralus1082 macrumors member

Early upgrade means the price of the phone plus $150 early upgrade fee.

6. ThereGoesJB macrumors regular

my gf was eligible for her upgrade which gave her 50$ off, so she paid 150.00 for her 4S. (verizon 16gb)

7. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Some hit & miss info in this thread.

The deal with AT&T is that you are eligible for "fully subsidized" upgrade (same price as if you were just starting out with AT&T, i.e. $199 for the 16GB iPhone 4S) after 20 months of your contract are up. They may move that date up for you depending on how much you spend every month, and you can log into your online attwireless.com account or ask an AT&T customer service rep what your "upgrade eligibility" date is.

If you are not eligible for fully subsidized upgrade, but you are at least 6 months into your contract, you can get what is called "Early Upgrade" for iPhones, which is the fully subsidized price plus $250.00. That makes the 16GB iPhone 4S $449 ($199 plus $250). As with the fully subsidized upgrade, you start a new 2-year contract with this price.

You may also buy the phone outright, which is $649 (16GB). Doing this does not extend or change whatever contract you currently have, so it's sometimes a good choice for someone who can't or doesn't want to extend another 2 years.

The 32GB phones are $100 more than the prices above, and 64GB phones are $200 more.