If u sell the preorder, it’s tied to an account?

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
since the phone was ordered thru a specific account, how do u sell the phone?

1. Wouldn’t the phone tied to that number used when ordering?
2. If so, how can u sell the phone as unopened?

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
If you bought the phone free and clear you can do what you want with it. If you got as an upgrade, I would be concerned that the SIM in the phone is tied to your account. Remove that sim and then you can sell. You can get replacement sims on eBay for less that $10.

Reactions: nfl46

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
If you bought the phone free and clear you can do what you want with it. If you got as an upgrade, I would be concerned that the SIM in the phone is tied to your account. Remove that sim and then you can sell. You can get replacement sims on eBay for less that $10.
There no free and clear tho. Either u upgrade the phone or upgrade another line.

hexagenia

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2007
New Hampshire
This gets messy quickly. If you bought from Apple, I don’t think there is a way to sell without opening. I pay full price for my iPhone and every time I have done so it has prompted me for last four of my social to activate the device. Once activated, then you can pop the SIM and leave it available open and unlocked for someone else. Learned this the hard way. Not fun.

firststate

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2017
I’m getting lots of conflicting information about this. Everyone says something different. How can we know for sure?

ichii

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2006
This gets messy quickly. If you bought from Apple, I don’t think there is a way to sell without opening. I pay full price for my iPhone and every time I have done so it has prompted me for last four of my social to activate the device. Once activated, then you can pop the SIM and leave it available open and unlocked for someone else. Learned this the hard way. Not fun.
I don’t remember having to do that with my iPhone 7 Plus it is a unlocked version so I don’t know if it’s different.

Dirtydutch

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2015
Jerseyyy
But it has your sim in it right? So no matter what, you'll have to open the phone and take the sim out?
Yea just don't turn it on until your SIM is in
[doublepost=1509117580][/doublepost]
Right but does it need to be activated, deactivated and sim removed so that the new buyer doesn’t have to have the last four of your social?
No just take the sim it comes with out before powering on and put yours in

firststate

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2017
If your selling it though do you open it and pull the sim and send it out. Or do you have to put in a good carrier Sim, activate it, deactivate it and then pull the sim prior to selling?

v0lume4

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2012
I think you have to open the packaging to remove the SIM card, since the SIM card will be tied to your account, I'm pretty sure. I had the same concern as well, and decided against pre-ordering. But I realize now -- if someone was willing to pay above market value for an iPhone X, I doubt they'd mind that it's not shrink wrapped, assuming all else was brand new.

Shoulda woulda coulda. Didn't. :p

Reactions: Appl3FTW

firststate

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2017
[doublepost=1509117580][/doublepost]
No just take the sim it comes with out before powering on and put yours in
If I’m not keeping it I don’t need to put mine in though?
[doublepost=1509117752][/doublepost]See I think we have conflicting info. If I have no intention of keeping it do I pull the sim it comes with before selling it. Or just leave the box sealed and sell it?

Dirtydutch

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2015
Jerseyyy
No just sell it as is. whoever buys it has to make sure they do their diligence when purchasing and activate it on their account correctly and putting their sim in. Do u think all those gray market phones are opened? they're are just outright purchased devices

jhearty99

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2012
Long Island, NY
[doublepost=1509117752][/doublepost]See I think we have conflicting info. If I have no intention of keeping it do I pull the sim it comes with before selling it. Or just leave the box sealed and sell it?
The SIM card in the phone will be tied to the account you ordered through. However, I do think if the phone is turned on with your SIM card in it, that it will ask for some sort of verification before it just activates on your line. So, I dont think someone else will be able to activate it without putting in their SIM card.

Dirtydutch

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2015
Jerseyyy
The SIM card in the phone will be tied to the account you ordered through. However, I do think if the phone is turned on with your SIM card in it, that it will ask for some sort of verification before it just activates on your line. I would say the best thing to do is open the box, remove the SIM card and then sell it.
You can do it this way I just know it's easier to sell when sealed

Reactions: jhearty99

firststate

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2017
The SIM card in the phone will be tied to the account you ordered through. However, I do think if the phone is turned on with your SIM card in it, that it will ask for some sort of verification before it just activates on your line. So, I dont think someone else will be able to activate it without putting in their SIM card.
Ok great. This makes sense now. They have to just toss the sim that’s in there and insert their own.
[doublepost=1509118040][/doublepost]
Yes. Got it thank you.

Reactions: Dirtydutch

jhearty99

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2012
Long Island, NY
True, although I would never sell it online with the risk of being scammed and I dont know who would hand someone that much cash in person without opening the box and making sure there is actually an iPhone inside. So, if selling it locally, I dont think the box being opened will effect the value.

firststate

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2017
True, although I would never sell it online with the risk of being scammed and I dont know who would hand someone that much cash in person without opening the box and making sure there is actually an iPhone inside. So, if selling it locally, I dont think the box being opened will effect the value.
I’m sticking to locally so I’ll just ask that we open it in person and remove my sim just to be safe.

goofy810

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2014
Not sure this is the case with all carriers, a few years ago i got 2 iphone 6 due to att coming early and my apple order on the same day. I sold it and then the guy turned it on and forgot to pull the sim out and next thing i knew my sim went dead. and Att could not re activate it with out going through like 10levels of tech support and it took like 8 hours.

Dirtydutch

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2015
Jerseyyy
Yea, I was just speaking to personal preference if I'm buying myself I like the item sealed