If Windows 7 > 10.6…would you switch?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Full of Win, Mar 13, 2008.

1. Full of Win macrumors 68030

Full of Win

Assuming that Microsoft gets their act together, which they very well might, would you switch if Windows 7 (the successor to Vista) was superior to 10.6 (or 10.7)?

2. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Since most people devoted to OS X prefer it for the way its interface behaves and already have a significant body of knowledge (and investment in hardware and software), I think it's probably unlikely. However, if Windows 7 was a significant improvement I think Mac fans might be more inclined to at least check it out, or supplement their machines with a PC (or Boot Camp partition) if it allowed for some application they needed.

3. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I'll answer your question with a question.
    Does your dad wear women's shoes?

4. Bonsai1214 macrumors 6502a

haha i laughed at the above post.

if it were better, i'd probably get a partition on my hdd. however, there's no need to answer the question because we know it won't be.

5. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

I would definitely install it and give it a fair go.

6. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

I think most of us who use Macs even though they are the minority computers in the market do so because we are free thinkers who are willing to consider all the possibilities and choose for ourselves what we think is best for us. So if miraculously a version of Windows winds up being significantly better in terms of how well it allows me to do what I want to do (meaning not just having a bigger feature list, but an interface that allows me to most easily do the small number of things that I care about) then I 'd almost definitely switch. I think the same is true of most Mac users.

The only caveat is that I've seen microsoft's past actions, and they have a history of working hard to make a product great right up until they destroy the competition, after which they significantly abandon improving the product. So for Windows to really swing me over MS would have to make an OS that consistently was the best choice for me even when they no longer had any real competition.

7. NEiMac macrumors regular

Um, no. I am pretty much tired of Microsoft's products, used them from Windows 95 through XP and I have no faith in them doing anything right. Might be able to make myself go back to Linux but not windows. THey haven't really got it right in all these years what makes you think there cable of doing it next time? If they do "FIX IT" I would like to see them totally redo the update system, quite tying internet explorer to the system. These would be huge steps in my opinion, but it wont happen. :rolleyes:

8. topgunn macrumors 65816

topgunn

What in the history of Microsoft makes you think this OS development/release will be any different than the previous 7 major releases?

9. heatmiser macrumors 68020

If they get fully capable (below 100% as well as above 100%) DPI scaling before OS X does, I'll happily look into it. Vista, for whatever reason, was a step backwards from XP in that department. You can scale below 100% in XP (ie, make everything smaller and fit more on the screen in the process), but you can only scale above 100% in Vista. However, both are still several steps ahead of OS X, where one cannot scale in either direction at all. That said, Windows seems to be heading in a direction of perpetually fattening window borders, so I'll likely keep waiting for OS X to develop DPI scaling.

10. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Now with Intel Macs, I don't think that it is as big of an issue as it was pre-Intel Macs.

Now you have the flexibility of running both OS'es on one platform. Almost like having your cake and eating it too.

Of course there always be folks like myself, who love Macs but still need to have both platforms due to work, and thus own both types of computers. But I think that the Intel Macs have decreased this need somewhat.

11. wheezy macrumors 65816

wheezy

Nah

I doubt I'd hardly bat an eye at it... probably play around on a computer with it at Costco or something, but I wouldn't feel much of a need to switch. OS X is a BIG pull for Mac, but not the only pull. I love the much closer community of 3rd Party apps for OS X. I develop web sites, and I LOVE CSS Edit and Coda... not found on Windows, nor will they ever be.

Besides... we know that M$ can't pull it together. They just can't get out of their box.

12. cms2 macrumors 6502

cms2

hmm... I don't want to throw accusations around wildly, but... troll?

13. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

They developed it, and it's in there; it's just not activated yet by default. Although you can force it if you know how. The problem is that a lot of apps get kinda broken if you do that. I'd guess Apple is waiting for more people to make their apps resolution-independent before they make it more public.

--Eric

14. bootedbear macrumors 6502

bootedbear

Microsoft shows no signs of improving their development process. Quite the opposite. So the supposition is doomed.

15. cohibadad macrumors 6502a

cohibadad

I give every new Windows a chance. Since I have to use Windows for business I am always looking for something better than XP. I can't see myself switching though. It would really take a miracle for Microsoft to develop anything comparable to OS X.

16. kuwisdelu macrumors 65816

Right now, Windows is far behind OS X in terms of things like security, stability, compatibility (Vista anyway, not XP), ease of use, etc. Even if Windows were to fix these things, they'd only be on equal footing with OS X. I'm not sure what would definitively put them ahead. It would have to be more than just a long feature list. Many of us switchers just genuinely prefer the "Mac way" of doing things. It would take a lot to take me away from the UI elements I like, like the dock, the way the menu bar works, the particular way I multitask in OS X, etc.

If Windows 7 actually offered a better way of doing such things that was more conducive to the way I work, sure I'd switch. But too many people seem to ignore the little nuances that makes OS X a great operating system. These are the kinds of things that often annoy recent switchers, like Cmd + W and Cmd + Q as opposed to the X button, or learning how to Hide an application, etc. I like those. I'd miss them too much. If Windows offered an even better way of working, that'd be enticing, but I don't think they can.

17. GirthP macrumors regular

Sometimes. What does that have to do with windows?

18. CalMin macrumors 6502a

CalMin

What drew me to OS X in the first place was hardware (iMac G4 - a thing of beauty). What made me stay was the OS, and what I like about the OS was the apps.

A Win 7 OS alone wouldn't move me over. I'm not sure what constitutes a reason to switch anymore - I can run Windows software on my Mac. I get the best of both worlds.

19. Full of Win thread starter macrumors 68030

Full of Win

Well, no Bill Gates for one.

20. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

7 will be > than vista, but who knows what revolutions 10.6 will bring on. So it's hard to say.

21. himansk macrumors regular

Windows better than OSX? I dont see that happening anytime soon, and if in the very unlikely situation that it does, I am not switching under any condition.

22. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

nothing like blind loyalty lol

if windows is better, ill definitly switch over

23. kuwisdelu macrumors 65816

I'd actually say that's a bad thing for Windows. Bill Gates hasn't been around for a while, and back in the early days of Windows, after Steve Jobs was ousted from Apple, it was actually a much more viable OS than the Mac OS. Steve Jobs saved the Mac with OS X and the innovation he brought over from NeXtStep and put Apple ahead of the curve again. Ballmer has been at the reigns of Windows for a while now, and while I have no doubt that Steve Jobs > Bill Gates, Gates is still a smart man. Ballmer is a clown.

24. Malfoy macrumors 6502a

Malfoy

definitely. Whatever is the closest to a perfect OS at the time I wll be using. If Win 7 is great it gives me a reason to get a slick sony laptop.

25. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Microsoft has promised and promised and promised for years that it would be better and has always failed. For me the only way for me to even consider looking at Windows 7 would be for the Registry to be gone forever. It's the most retarded part of Windows and makes the experience so poor.