Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Schnapple

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 14, 2014
So I finally have the funds to order a MBP and of course it's two days before an Apple event. I would think it would be safe to go ahead and order a MBP since every rumor says no new MBP until next year since we just had a refresh, they follow Intel's roadmap, and the tempo of updates is pretty steady.

However, what I'm wondering is, if I ordered a MBP today, would it come with Mavericks or Yosemite? Since I'm ordering the custom built model (upping the CPU and RAM) it wouldn't ship for 1-3 days and unless there's a room in China somewhere with the Cadillac models sitting around, it'll potentially be manufactured to order. Would they literally wait until the launch before putting Yosemite on machines? Or should I wait until after the event Thursday to order?

My only concern with ordering Thursday evening or whatever is that if they say "go order the iPad Air 2 now!" then the store will be swamped, to say nothing of how I don't know if the mass shipping of other products interferes with the MBP shipping at all.

Of course the more I type the more I realize this is an idiotic first world problem. But anyway, does anyone know (or have a good guess) if, supposing Yosemite final is released on Thursday, how soon a Yosemite MBP would be available for order? I guess the only reason to wait for Yosemite is to save a step should I ever need to do a full recovery.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
When you install Yosemite, it creates a Yosemite recovery partition.

There really is no benefit to waiting for Macs to ship with Yosemite, especially when it can be downloaded for free and easily restored, should one need to do that at some point.

Gav Mack

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2008
Sagittarius A*
So I finally have the funds to order a MBP and of course it's two days before an Apple event. I would think it would be safe to go ahead and order a MBP since every rumor says no new MBP until next year since we just had a refresh, they follow Intel's roadmap, and the tempo of updates is pretty steady.

However, what I'm wondering is, if I ordered a MBP today, would it come with Mavericks or Yosemite? Since I'm ordering the custom built model (upping the CPU and RAM) it wouldn't ship for 1-3 days and unless there's a room in China somewhere with the Cadillac models sitting around, it'll potentially be manufactured to order. Would they literally wait until the launch before putting Yosemite on machines? Or should I wait until after the event Thursday to order?

My only concern with ordering Thursday evening or whatever is that if they say "go order the iPad Air 2 now!" then the store will be swamped, to say nothing of how I don't know if the mass shipping of other products interferes with the MBP shipping at all.

Of course the more I type the more I realize this is an idiotic first world problem. But anyway, does anyone know (or have a good guess) if, supposing Yosemite final is released on Thursday, how soon a Yosemite MBP would be available for order? I guess the only reason to wait for Yosemite is to save a step should I ever need to do a full recovery.

When you upgrade to Yosemite if you ever have to do a recovery it will download that or a year on 10.11 etc. If you are placing a BTO and can't wait till God knows when broadwell chips will finally ship in the newer models just order it asap.

Schnapple

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 14, 2014

There really is no benefit to waiting for Macs to ship with Yosemite, especially when it can be downloaded for free and easily restored, should one need to do that at some point.

True, however apparently if you use Internet Recovery it does stick to the version the Mac shipped with

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4718

still not a huge problem either I guess.

Thanks for the reply, although I can't figure out what's dumber, refusing to wait two more days to order or waiting two more days for no reason.

Gav Mack

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2008
Sagittarius A*
True, however apparently if you use Internet Recovery it does stick to the version the Mac shipped with

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4718

still not a huge problem either I guess.

Thanks for the reply, although I can't figure out what's dumber, refusing to wait two more days to order or waiting two more days for no reason.

After you've installed Yosemite, re download it from the App Store and download disk maker x, stick a decent 16gb usb stick in your Mac and run the app. You will have a much, much faster recovery method than using the web which even on my 150 meg pipe here simply cannot compete with usb for speed.

painstake

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2014
Yes, I'm very curious too. I'm about to pull the trigger on a new Macbook Pro but want it to ship with yosemite.

What happens with the stock already in the Apple stores? Do they get sent back to have yosemite installed? Do the apple genius folks open them up and do it in store?

Anyone?

poiihy

macrumors 68020
Aug 22, 2014

It's actually kinda worse because then you cannot officially run Mavericks and you are stuck with the new ugly/beautiful (your opinion) Yosemite; so you cannot try Mavericks.

Just get it with Mavericks and upgrade.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
It's actually kinda worse because then you cannot officially run Mavericks and you are stuck with the new ugly/beautiful (your opinion) Yosemite; so you cannot try Mavericks.

Just get it with Mavericks and upgrade.
If your recovery is Yosemite, you can still install Mavericks again. (Recovery goes back to Mavericks after install). It takes a little work. I did it early on when I had a glitch. I then proceeded to reinstall Yosemite.

If you buy a Mac with Yosemite installed, you can remove it and install Mavericks.

Schnapple

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 14, 2014
I don't think that would work...

In this particular case it might since the hardware isn't going to change - they're just going to put Yosemite on the same hardware. When the new machines come out in 2015 they won't be able to run Mavericks since some amount of the drivers needed won't exist.

At least that's how I follow it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.