If you already have a contract with AT&T but with a different phone?!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BlueRazor2, Jun 9, 2008.

1. BlueRazor2 macrumors member

I have a two year contract with AT&T that started last September when I bought a BlackJack. I was wanting to know what will happen to my current contract if I buy a 3G iPhone on July 11th? I am assuming that my current contract will just be extended or I will have the pay the fine for breaking my contract but I do not know for sure.... Thanks!

2. woahdell macrumors newbie

It's voids the old contract and starts a new one--neat huh?

3. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

New 2 year contract starts the day you activate the iphone. The Blackjack and its contract will be disabled at the same time. There is no fine associated with this.

4. Prelude2Tragedy macrumors regular

So I could sign up for att today (or any time) and get any free subsidized phone. Then when the iPhone comes out, get the iPhone for $200 and possibly sell off my original att phone to make the iPhone even cheaper?

I apologize if this has been covered. It just seems att would have safeguards in place to stop people doing this.

5. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

Apparently they don't have any guards against this.

I wasn't done with my contract when I upgraded to the iPhone. It just started a new one. And when I got the 16 GB, it didn't do anything.

Of course when the 3G comes out, the contract will replace the old one (unless you have a different phone in which it will just start a new 2 year contract and cancel your existing one).

6. yersoocrust macrumors newbie

I am on a family plan, so will it extend my contract or will it void the whole contract?

7. jediistar macrumors 6502

Sounds like alot of this is going to be a little more difficult than some of us had hoped. Looks like current customers who are considered non-qualified upgrades won't be able to purchase the device at the 199/299 price. Att's internal memo which I picked up on boygenius shows that a non-qualified upgrade price has yet to be determined. This was an official memo straight from the horses mouth over at att. I hope they will let me use my moms line which is out of contract to upgrade and place on my existing line.

8. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

just the line your iPhone is on will have a new 2year contract.

9. yersoocrust macrumors newbie

So basically, it is just extending your contract. Am I wrong in making this assumption?

Ugh, one thing that never fails is that cell phone companies are overly complicated.

10. CrazEtooN macrumors regular

I have heard nothing of this sort. You are the first one I have even seen mention anything like this to be honest. Do you have a link?

11. jediistar macrumors 6502

http://2008/06/09/iphone-3g-the-details-you-never-wanted-to-know/

The page doesn't seem to be working right now but look for the upgrade eligibility section and interpret it...

12. CrazEtooN macrumors regular

13. jmpmntwnty3 macrumors 6502

You will. My family does it all of the time, lol. My sister used my mom's upgrade to get a new phone a few months ago.

14. jediistar macrumors 6502

Under normal circumstances I would agree, but this phone presents a whole new level of circumstances. Its a question worth asking?!

15. jmpmntwnty3 macrumors 6502

Yeah, true. But the beauty of being on a shared plan is that everyone is essentially under an umbrella, as far as upgrades and contract extensions go. As long as the line is under the same plan, it doesn't matter who actually uses the upgrade.

16. BlueRazor2 thread starter macrumors member

I'm bringing this thread back instead of starting a new one to ask the same question. I'm hoping there is a more clear answer to my question since it has been about two weeks..... Thanks!

17. Sumtime19 macrumors member

I, too, would like to know. I currently own a Pantech Duo.