If you already own iPad, are you going to buy iPad 2?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by hcho3, Nov 8, 2010.

1. hcho3 macrumors 68030

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

3. HXGuy macrumors 68000

Most likely yes because I always like having the newest product from Apple, but it will matter a bit on exactly what the differences are.

4. DavieBoy macrumors 6502

DavieBoy

At first I thought the iPad was so dumb (fo reel), but then I bought one and use it everyday. I am eagerly awaiting the next iPad, and so is my mom who will be handed down my current iPad

5. AAPLaday Guest

AAPLaday

I hope to yes. I definitely need more ram. After having 4-5 tabs open in atomic browser i get the low memory warning message

6. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

That has been my plan all along. Particularly hoping for (in descending order): higher res screen, more RAM, front camera, better battery life, lighter and thinner design.

7. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

Probably, even though Flash is an issue that really rankles me I still haven't seen any company even come close to the ipad hardware and quality feel of the device. If I were to assume it will take the other companies as long to catch up to the ipad as it's taken them to catch up the iphone (which arguable they haven't) then I feel as if I'll be waiting a long time to get a true ipad competitor.

I'm an addict though and I always get the new iphone every year, the new macbook air every release, and will probably be a lemming once again and faithfully line up for the ipad2.

8. aprofetto8 macrumors regular

Yes. How? Get married.

I've given all my hand-me-downs to my wife. Sometimes even used the excuse that she needed it and hence I would be the bigger man and let her 'have' mine. Then I'd go out and buy the new one of course.

However... she's catching on lately and its becoming more of a battle each time.

9. Richdmoore macrumors 68000

Richdmoore

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

No, the iPad is too expensive to replace every year, so I plan to wait until either the 3rd generation or 4th generation, unless the price is lowered significantly.

10. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Probably, but depends on what it has.

If it has a camera on the back then definatly.

If it is not much better then the current one and only a camera on the front then perhaps not.

BUT. I will look around at other tablets that are out at that time.

11. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

Yes. The obvious new features that are coming are worth it to me.

12. ViviUO macrumors 6502

Yes, I will sell the one I have now to use towards the new one.

13. kirchnrd macrumors 6502

kirchnrd

Ditto here for me too. I love mine, and it does what I need for now. No use for a camera for me, so speed and res will be the biggest incentives. After 4.2 gets released, it will feel brand new again (unified inbox, where have you been all my life!).

14. poloponies macrumors 68030

There are "obvious" new features?

15. Peter Harrison macrumors 6502a

Peter Harrison

Had the iPad since launch, use it everyday, love it. Won't be perfect for everyone, but fits into my life perfectly. I'm very happy with my model. V2 is going to need to be really impressive and have a lot of new features that I know I will use if I'm going to immediately upgrade.

The way I see it, the iPhone and iPod Touch were the first few versions. So for me iPad 2 will be more like iPad 5 really. If the features of a new version don't totally blow me away, I might wait for a third revision. My first iPhone was the 3G. I liked the look of the 3GS, but I hadn't had the 3G for long when the 3GS was released. So I waited and then made the incredible jump from 3G to 4. Might end up doing something similar with the iPad. As I said, I'm really happy still with what the iPad can do. Apple will need to really impress if I'm going to replace mine.

16. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

Facetime and front facing camera. THINK ITS PRETTY SAFE TO MAKE THAT BET!

17. climbersaurus macrumors newbie

I'm tossed up on this - I really love the iPad, I think it offers far less usability headache than any other platform and it fits within my lifestyle. I could get by for a few generations

Unfortunately, the lack of a camera is kind of a bummer - and if the v2 of the iPad is a significant leap forward then I'm all for it.

If it turns out to be a smaller screen then I would be less inclined

18. kirchnrd macrumors 6502

kirchnrd

Wow, really good point. I forgot about the rumors of a smaller screen. The screen size is perfect for me now, so any smaller is a no go. I will just use the iPhone if the screen gets smaller.

19. lbeck macrumors 6502

lbeck

Yes, because Apple always makes the new device a "must have". They've been doing it for decades, it always works for me :)

20. AAPLaday Guest

AAPLaday

I really wouldn't worry to much about that happening ;)

21. Don Kosak macrumors 6502a

Don Kosak

Love the iPad version 1.

If the feature set for Version 2 is not "magical" enough, I may just pick up a "gently owned" iPad Version 1 at a decent discount. That way we won't have to fight over the current iPad.

I usually skip every other version to maximize the bang for my hard earned $'s. In the case of the iPad -- it's so useful, I will probably make an exception.

22. MsMerryMac macrumors regular

I won't be upgrading. I was really on the fence about buying one now since there are rumors of a new version coming out next spring. The way I see it, there will always be a new version and I can't afford to upgrade every year. I don't care about a camera, have plenty of storage, RAM is fine for what I do. I cannot imagine what the new one would have that would make me drop another wad of cash. I had iPod Touch second gen and didn't upgrade until this year - and only then for the camera (which totally makes sense in a small device, not so much for the iPad for me).

23. Merthyrboy macrumors 6502

I love my first gen and I have FaceTime on my mac and nobody ever calls me so that won't be a big update reason for me so I may stay with mine until version 3 or 4

24. Peter Harrison macrumors 6502a

Peter Harrison

I'm fine for storage, RAM and processor right now. The only apparently "obvious" feature that many people want is the front-facing camera for FaceTime. But that's not something I want. I love FaceTime, but I don't think I'd use it on the iPad. It would be horrible, unless you love the prospect of people using technology in order to show people on the other side of the world what their nostrils look like.

The upgrade will need a killer feature and one that I know I will use. Right now, I can't imagine what that would possibly be. I don't need a camera on my iPad.

25. hcho3 thread starter macrumors 68030

It's safe to say that next iPads will have

1. Front facing Camera
    2. 512 Ram
    3. Gyroscope

The rest features will be up to apple. However, I don't see any of these changes coming to 2nd gen iPad

1. Retina Display
    2. Rear Camera
    3. Different Design from iPad one

I agree with most of you about iPad is too expensive to replace it every single year. I am waiting for iPad 3 or 4. I will look and see how much I can get for iPad 1 and what the differences are between iPad 1 and 2, but I am most likely to wait for iPad 3 or 4.