If you are disappointed with the SS Apple watch do you already own a luxury timepiece

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by durangojim, Apr 12, 2015.

1. durangojim macrumors member

Just wondering if people who own a Rolex, Omega, Panerai, Brietling, etc., were disappointed with the SS version of the Apple Watch because they were holding it to a "higher standard"?
    That was kind of my experience. I thought the SS watch was nice but preferred the black aluminum version, as the SS version doesn't really compare to the watches I already own but the sport was something new and different completely. I think the SS will be great for a lot of people, just not for me.

2. kingofwale macrumors 6502a

kingofwale

Omega owner here,

Can't justify getting SS model or extra bands, so I'm sticking with SG SPort.

Now... if SS model offers any exclusive feature (such as faster processor or more disk space), then I'd fork over the extra money

3. ninethirty macrumors 6502a

Rolex/Panerai owner here. I knew the offering would be different, and not to expect the same, but I was shocked at how little I liked the design (not the software - although I also have issues with that) in person.

Like you, I found the space grey aluminum to be the nicest of them all. I'll probably pick up one of those once all the hype dies down and I can just walk in and buy one.

4. mbhforum macrumors 6502

Omega owner here. I went with the SS model. I am not expecting it to be of same quality as my Omega as it less than 1/5 the price. What it will be is my everyday watch to work(leather loop) and weekends(sport band)and my Omega will become my formal, nice watch I will wear to nice events or to go out with my wife(she got me the omega).

5. pflau macrumors 6502

Rolex owner here. Not too thrilled with the SS Link Bracelet because I'm spoiled by the Rolex Oyster clasp.

I am probably getting the Milanese loop because it is so different from my Rolexes.

I do LOVE the black SS, and I wish Rolex would make a gun metal or black SS watch.

----------

I wear my Rolex Oyster everyday. It is pretty banged up. I like Rolexes because they are supposed to be sport watches so scratches actually give them a little character.

When I get my Apple Watch I will probably add it to my watch rotation. Depending on what I will be doing on a given day. But it might or might not be my everyday watch as I do love my Rolexes.

6. gazpilot macrumors member

Rolex's, panerai and omeaga are my daily watches. I've gone for a 42 sport just as it's totally different from my others.

[​IMG]

:)gratuitous watch shot

7. twylie macrumors newbie

My daily wear are BP Fifty Fathoms on Isofrane or a Seiko Spring Drive 600m diver. Also have some Breitling and Doxa.

I love the idea of the :apple:Watch and after seeing it in person, am now a big fan of what they've done. It's incredible engineering and design, especially for a 1.0 product. I only question if I'll be able to sever my connection to my mechanicals to wear the :apple:Watch on a daily basis.

Bought a Sport with green and black bands (online early Friday) along with the Milanese loop after trying it in store. If I end up wearing the :apple:Watch as a daily, I'll likely pick up a SS model as I do like the glossier look and sapphire.

Battery life limitations and not being able to wear during the night are kind of a bummer as I'm used to always having a watch on. Will likely switch to a quartz at night when the :apple:Watch is charging. If they can eventually get charge cycle down to 30 min or less, I'll be fine with daily charging on this version, but look forward to down the road with improved battery life or rapid charge.

8. richardmu macrumors 6502a

Got a 40+ year old Rolex Explorer which still works fine although it hasn't been serviced for about 15 years. Only 36mm so is quite small. New versions are 39mm I believe.
    Took a first look at all the Apple watches today and they all look pretty good.
    The two that appealed the most were the SG Sport and the dark SS one. Will probably pick up a SG Sport with black band when the stores have them in stock. Not expensive for all the tech and looks cool.

9. Glene macrumors 6502

42 SS Link here but also own 3 Breitlings.....a Breitling will always be worn when formalwear or corporate meetings are involved. The AW, no matter what model, is just not a fashion/formal/business item for me, its a device.

10. JonMPLS macrumors 65816

I have a few luxury watches and just ordered a SS Apple Watch to join the rotation. Kind of a different perspective, since the other watches last pretty much forever, but looking forward to it!

11. marmiteturkey macrumors 6502

marmiteturkey

Omega owner; ordered the SS as a daily driver/gym watch/interesting experiment.

12. richardmu macrumors 6502a

My feelings exactly. A new version of my trusty old Rolex costs around £4300 I believe which makes any of the Apple watches except the Edition seem quite reasonable. A SG Sport one with black band appeals. Haven't got an iPhone but what the heck, I can still use it as a watch.

13. JonMPLS macrumors 65816

Heck, a service on my Rolex costs more than an Apple Watch:rolleyes:

14. richardmu macrumors 6502a

True. Last time I checked the price of a service on mine it was about £800. I will get it serviced when it starts to play up, so far it works fine.
    Bit bored with it actually after 40 odd years so may sell it before it costs silly money to service/fix and get a SS Apple watch. It only cost me £124 when I bought it in 1974 and I guess it's worth a lot more now!

15. djuzi macrumors member

I own a Breitling Super Avenger, Tag Carrera and a Movado that I switch up every few days and I'm very excited for the AW. Honestly, they'll probably be sitting around for a long time after it comes in lol. I went with Milanese Loop since all my watches are link bracelets.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. richardmu macrumors 6502a

Some beautiful watches in your collection.

What size is tha AW?

17. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

Rolex, iwc, panerai owner, not disappointed as I view it as the best smart watch, it's the edition version which I am disappointed with, the sports and SS are fine.

18. djuzi macrumors member

It's 42mm, same as my Tag. Both babies next to the 48mm Breitling lol

19. richardmu macrumors 6502a

I'm not really a watch person but that Carrera looks stunning. Simple design but somehow beautiful.

20. Wildgift macrumors 6502

I have a Rolex Oyster for 40 years, and still dig the 42 mm

21. Switchback666 macrumors 68000

Switchback666

I ordered the milanese loop but im also looking to acquire a Navitimer or SO heritage with a mesh bracelet.

Breitling bracelets are the best.

22. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

No Apple watch can ever replace my Panerai 328.
    [​IMG]

(Borrowed this image)

23. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

I don't get the attraction to these... what's nice about any of these watches?

----------

Now that looks nice... I guess if I was wealthy, I'd probably opt for a Breitling.