If you are questioning if you can upgrade and if you need a new contract.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nickspohn, Feb 5, 2008.

1. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

No new contract is required. I figured this, but called to make sure.

Makes sense when you think that:
    You buy the phone, get it, take the sim out of your old phone, put it into your new phone, and it will work.

Just seeing a lot of questions about this, and wanted to get this answered.

2. mas90guru macrumors member

I'm not sure this is an automatic assumption (though I sense you are correct).

Since iPhone activation flows through iTunes, there's a slight chance that the carrier could detect an upgraded (different model) phone and fling you over to a separate agreement page to re-up your contract.

Would love to hear from others who have performed an upgrade from 8 to 16.

3. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

This is great news. My 8GB is completely full, so hopefully in a month or so I'll have a 16GB.

I too would like to hear from someone who upgrades, to see how smoothly it goes.

4. pdmpolishing macrumors member

I just contacted O2 regarding upgrading to a 16GB version, I was told that no new contract would be required, just swap the SIM cards and it would work. After connecting to iTunes of course.

5. pro0 macrumors newbie

no contract renewal required!

"Do I need to sign a new contract for the 16GB iPhone? No. You can yank your SIM card from your old phone and put it in the 16GB iPhone, activate it for free through iTunes and start using it with your current contract. It’s just like replacing a broken iPhone. Even if you don’t have your old SIM card, you can activate with a new SIM card and your account information will simply be updated." -cnet