If you bought iLife '08 family pack from a store other than Apple...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by buffalo, Oct 28, 2007.

1. buffalo macrumors 65816

I'm trying to find out if Apple varies part numbers depending on where you bought the product. If you bought an iLife '08 family pack from a store that was not an Apple Store or apple.com (Amazon, Best Buy, CompUSA...), will you post your part number. I bought mine from the Apple Store and my part number is MB016Z/A.

Thanks in advance!

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Sorry, just got iWork 08 and Leopard (both family packs) from CompUSA.

But a quick look at the compusa site has that part number.

3. J@ffa macrumors 6502a

J@ffa

They don't. I can't post my part number conclusively to prove it, but part numbers refer to the item in question only for identification purposes. Can you imagine the distribution nightmare in giving every single sale point its own part numbers? :O

4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

They did that with hardware once, it is called the performa nightmare.

Where part numbers and software varied store to store -- just to nix the price match hell.

All it did was get Apple sued.

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Same part # on the family pack I bought at Frys. Was just installing it on Leopard on the iBook.

B

6. buffalo thread starter macrumors 65816

ok, thanks for the quick information!!! Is it safe to assume that all Leopard single packs will be the same model number?

I bought Leopard on Friday night but haven't opened it yet because I had not bought an external HDD and I did not have time. This got me thinking that maybe I should just wait and order from Amazon and save the $28. However, I was wondering if I could just open the copy I have now, then order it from Amazon and return that copy to the Apple Store for a refund.

When I called the Apple Store to ask, the lady said it would not be a problem as long as the part numbers matched up. I asked why this number would change and she said that sometimes part numbers vary depending on which store you bought it from. The example she used is that an iPod bought from Best Buy or Target might not have the same number as one bought from the Apple Store.

This did not make sense to me, so thank you for clarifying!