If you buy a Macbook Pro today, will it come with Lion?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Adamantoise, Aug 1, 2011.

1. Adamantoise, Aug 1, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2011

Adamantoise macrumors 6502a

I'm aware I can call Apple to find this out, but I'm at work and figured someone would know.

Furthermore, lets say it does come with Lion, is the F4 key graphic going to stay the same? Or would it be changed to match that of the Macbook Air?

Just curious ... I don't mind Snow Leopard at all, but if I'm going to be forced to use Lion I'd at least want the function keys mapped properly (both internally and externally :))

Edit: Nevermind, seems this question has been asked and answered. For those wondering yes, the F4 key has been changed to Launchpad from Expose.

2. udontno macrumors regular

udontno

While this question has been answered, the keyboard has changed on a few computers (ie custom orders). If you order a basic 13in, you are liable to get a computer they had in stock running SL. You can get your free upgrade, of course.

3. mprofit macrumors regular

mprofit

I ordered my current MacBook Pro the day after Lion launched (Thursday the 21st) and it shipped with Lion when it arrived a week later. The only change I made from the base configuration 2.2 GHz is a high resolution display, which pushed back the ship date to "1 to 3 days".

My guess is any change you make to your order, big or small, from the base configs will get you Lion installed on your laptop due to the longer assembly time.

4. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

5. tombubi macrumors regular

6. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

7. Wafflausages macrumors 6502

My friend bought a mbp on saturday and he told me he got a free copy of lion

8. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

I was referring to the new keyboard modifications.

9. udontno macrumors regular

udontno

I don't know about the keyboards on the ones from the store, but I believe they've upgraded all of the machines in the store to Lion... correct me if I'm wrong someone.

10. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

So do you get recovery media (CD or USB) on the new Lion shipping MBP's? Or do they have internet recovery like the new Air and Mini?

11. Adamantoise thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'd like to know this too.

12. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

There was another thread on here about that. No recovery media at all. Just comes with two booklets now.

13. Adamantoise thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well that blows.

What if we're looking forward to changing out the HDD upon receiving the MBP, is the recovery partition built into the system or does it reside on the HDD?

In other words, if I receive a 2011 MBP with Lion and swap out the 5400rpm HDD for a 7200rpm or SSD ... Will I still be able to install Lion without making a boot disc?

14. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

The recovery feature is built into new Macs that were announced after Lion. In this case, those machines are the Minis and new Airs.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/recovery/