If you buy an iPod Touch today, will you have to pay the $9.95 come July?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by sfroom, Jun 10, 2008.

1. sfroom macrumors regular

I know this is a silly question, but granted that in January, the firmware upgrade was made immediately available (as far as I recall), I thought I would ask it anyways.

I waited until WWDC to purchase a new computer, because I wanted to see if anything would be announced (mac mini upgrade, etc.). I think I'm going to go ahead an order a 3.06 Ghz iMac, with student discount, and get an iPod touch with the rebate.

I'm assuming that I will have to pay the $9.95 to upgrade when firmware 2.0 is released, but I think it's a little silly. Products purchased after the announcement should be given the update for free.

I know it's not a lot of money, but the computer itself is stretching my budget.

Won't apple see a decline in sales of the iPod Touch in anticipation of the firmware update?

2. dmkemick macrumors member

I doubt you'll get the update for free, it usually only applies to the 14 days prior to the release of the product and we don't know if it's going to be bundled with the iPod Touch at that time anyways. As far as a decline in sales because of people waiting for the update goes, I honestly don't think there are that many people who are willing to spend upwards of $500 on a device but they'll deny themselves for a month just to save $10.

3. aethelbert macrumors 601

Yeah, you'll probably have to pay it unless you consistently whine to iTunes over it. Snow Leopard was announced as an upgrade yesterday, but you're probably not expecting a free upgrade on the iMac, are you? The iPhone 2.0 is basically the same situation, only on a smaller cost scale.

4. -Dark Angel- macrumors 6502

If its not on the device when you buy it, then ya, you'll have to pay to get the update.

5. sfroom thread starter macrumors regular

Oh, I'm fully expecting to have to pay it. I'm just minorly frustrated because I waited for WWDC, hoping (perhaps naively) that firmware 2.0 might be released immediately.

I believe that when leopard was released, many people who had ordered macs previous to the release date (perhaps not 2 weeks previous :rolleyes:) received a Leopard disk in their box.

I know I'm being silly. :D;)

6. mbrizan macrumors newbie

Why not just wait to get it. I know it hurts to wait, but consider the benefits. I think the back to school promotion lasts until early september anyway.

7. aethelbert macrumors 601

What sense does it make to wait more than a month to buy a $2000 computer in order to save $10? He probably needs the computer, with the iPod being a bonus.

8. sfroom thread starter macrumors regular

I'm going to go ahead and order. After all, it's only $10.

In any event, condsidering yesterdays announcement of the launch of the iPhone in Canada, I'm contemplating an iPhone purchase (depending, of course, on the price of the phone and available plans/rates...Canadian cell carriers often gouge consumers when it comes to data rates).

I may just sell the iPod touch.

Unfortunately, you still need to cut the UPC's out and mail them in to claim the rebate in Canada, so I'll have to open the touch, which, of course, will reduce its resale value. Blurgh.

9. iacyclone macrumors newbie

Touch Price Drop?

Anyone think the iPod Touch will get a price drop? I know that iPhone's was due to a subsidy on the carrier's side but just curious.

10. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

I think all ipods will move down a notch in price. Simple economics. Memory gets cheaper and larger. I also predict it will happen before Christmas. How much? 20%. Yes, it's a guess, nothing more.

11. aethelbert macrumors 601

Um, simple economics would prove the exact opposite with the US dollar in the toilet, especially with it being the world's main currency for trading. And if Apple's traditional new releases show any historical insight, we'll see updated models at the same prices with better specs.