If you buy from a vendor other than Apple, can you still exchange if.....

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by polaris20, Oct 22, 2008.

1. polaris20 macrumors 68020

there's a problem with it, like the obnoxious dust issue cropping up, or something else wacky like total DOA?

Reason I ask is I'm getting mine through my company, and I absolutely have to get it through a particular vendor; we don't deal directly with Apple.

I guess it wouldn't be a big deal to ship it back to the vendor, but I'd rather drive over the Apple store 30 minutes from work and exchange it right away.

I figure since Apple's actually the manufacturer, it's different then buying a run-of-the-mill computer at Best Buy and then trying to exchange it at Fry's, for example.

2. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

I'm buying from MacMall.com and if a warranty issue happens I will take it to the closest apple store, the warranty is covered by apple.

3. polaris20 thread starter macrumors 68020

I figured that was the case, but it never hurts to ask. I wonder if Apple does a thing with businesses......I'm sure they do. I wish my company would deal directly with them.

4. Etrain macrumors 6502

Etrain

Since my problem is similar, I hope nobody minds a slight hijack.....

I bought a MBP Classic 2.4Ghz from eBay for $1300 total after the Live $200 discount. I'm kind-of scared now though that it was registered before or something horrible like that. Is that likely? If it is actually under warranty, taking it into an Apple store would be cool for any problems?

5. sfroom macrumors regular

Applecare is transferable, as far as I know.

My understanding is that you could take it to Apple for warranty purposes, but that if you want to return it or it's DOA, the retail store will probably tell you to deal with the retailer from which you purchased it.

6. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

No. Apple will NOT exchange a DOA computer bought from another vendor. Some vendors will take the DOA machine back in exchange for another, but most some will not. You need to ask before buying. For example, MacMall, Mac Zone, etc. will not exchange and your only choice is Apple warranty service. Other companies like Amazon (if you buy from Amazon and not one of the 3rd party sellers on Amazon) will replace a DOA machine.

7. polaris20 thread starter macrumors 68020

that's actually fine too though. If I can bring it into the Apple Store and swap out the bad parts, that's cool.

8. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

The 12 months warranty you get is from the manufacturer, if it's from you vender it wouldn't be called "manufacturer's warranty". In any case, since Apple is the only manufacturer of Mac Systems, they have a responsibility to keep you happy, after all you did just brought into one of their creations, it should be faultless for at least twelve months.

It doesn't matter of you've purchased it from Best Buy, some bloke down the road or at the local convenient. Register the system at the apple site, and Stave's your man for the following 12 months, or if you have AppleCare then 3 years!! :eek:

9. polaris20 thread starter macrumors 68020

Yeah I'm getting AppleCare too. I'm actually kinda worried; I've seen probably 50 Thinkpads come through my office in the past 8 months without a single issue, but it seems every other post here is someone with a problem.

I know squeakie wheels post more than happy people do, but the fact that the microcosm of Mac Rumors has so many people with issues.

10. Etrain macrumors 6502

Etrain

Now I'm rather worried. I really hope when I get this MBP the warranty says its good until like September of 2009. If they bought it in like July and I just now am receiving it, I will not be too happy. We shall see Monday apparently. :rolleyes: