If you buy from eBay or Craiglist, can't they report it stolen?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by supernet33, May 13, 2015.

1. supernet33 macrumors regular

If you buy from eBay or Craiglist, can't they report it stolen since they are the original owner? And you would be screwed out of a watch?

2. Joe1602 macrumors regular

Or the buyer can claim they never received it, or that the box was empty. But most people are not evil.

3. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

People sell and buy iDevices all the time. Since when this is a big problem?

4. zmunkz macrumors 6502a

zmunkz

Just keep a papertrail of the exchange and a screenshot of the ebay or craigslist page, and that should be good enough for small claims court in the unlikely event they decided to pull something on you.

5. JSRockit macrumors 6502a

JSRockit

It could happen but you could also be paranoid. ;)

6. Skorpio macrumors 6502

Skorpio

7. twisted-pixel macrumors 6502a

twisted-pixel

This actually happened to me on an iphone from ebay once. Got the phone, was using it perfectly, then upgraded. Put the old phone in a drawer for 6 months.

Then went to trade it in when I remembered about it, but was told it was blocked because reported stolen and was worthless.

Contacted the police, and they did a little bit of a follow up and the trail ended when one of the people who had traded the phone simply said he bought it from a guy at a market.

I'm sure they could have used the IMEI number to find out which insurance company had paid out and therefore who had actually reported it stolen but for a relatively low cost item ($400) it would have been too much work I guess.

It's possible it was a genuine theft, but if that was the case, why was I able to use it for 6 months? I suspect it was traded and then the person waited until all paypal and ebay insurances were expired (when I tried both told me that after 3 months I cannot use their 'dodgy sale' process to recover any funds)

8. Hank3rd macrumors member

I bought a SS BSB this morning off CL to replace my Sport. I have an email trail as well as texts.

9. MartyCan macrumors 65816

MartyCan

If you use eBay and PayPal the documentation is pretty solid.

10. HelloMikee macrumors 6502a

HelloMikee

I use CL frequently to sell camera gear and old iPhones.

This however was the first time I've bought an apple product but I just made sure the person selling the AW took it off his device list in his support profile.

Once you buy an Apple Product online with your Apple ID, it places it in your device list.

He did it in person after the transaction.

I was then able to register the product under my account with the SN and then added AppleCare+

Also gave me a piece of mind that we texted (not emails) and our messages were blue lol.

11. CaptHook macrumors member

Can I ask what you paid?