If you buy iPhone 4 unsubsidized, will AT&T give you a new microsim?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mikethebigo, Jun 8, 2010.

1. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

So I have a 3GS right now, and while I'm eligible for an upgrade I'd much rather just get the new phone unsubsidized so I don't have to agree to another 2 years on AT&T. The problem is, the iPhone 3GS has a normal SIM, while the new model uses microSIM. If I go into an AT&T store, will they give me a new microSIM thats based on the current plan?

Oh, and while we're at it, since both the iPhone and iPad use the same microSIM now, does that mean we can just swap our iPhone SIM into the iPad and use the iPhone data plan whenever we want some 3G data?

Thanks for any info guys.

2. Goaliegeek macrumors 6502a

Goaliegeek

iPhone 4 will come with a microSIM from the get-go.

3. mikethebigo thread starter macrumors 68000

Right, but will I be able to link that to my current plan?

4. jbg232 macrumors 65816

jbg232

I was thinking about this too but here's what changed my mind:
    -If I buy unsubsidized I pay $699 for the phone and can cancel whenever I want
    -If I but subsidized I pay $299 for the phone but then if I cancel early have to pat 325-xmonths in cancellation fees. Even if I cancel the next month it would be 299+325=$624 for the same phone, so why buy unsubsidized? Am I missing something?

5. mikethebigo thread starter macrumors 68000

You know, I honestly never looked at it that way.

So there would be no good reason at all to buy unsubsidized. Even if I cancel next year (or next month), I pay total less than I would if I just went unsubsidized, huh?

6. elephunkman macrumors 65816

also add $18 fee plus the first month's bill.

7. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

I've been trying to tell ppl this. Makes no sense to buy unsubsidized.

Yes, the micro-sim is blank.

8. mikethebigo thread starter macrumors 68000

Well that doesn't really count because either way I'm paying that month's bill. The only extra charges in my instance are the charges of the phone and the $18 if I renew. That still means that I'm about $50 cheaper if I just take the upgrade no matter what.

9. ValenR macrumors member

Makes no sense to people who are upgrade eligible right ?
    It only makes sense for people who are completely NEW (no old contract; no relation at all) to AT&T, right ?

Or am I missing something ?

10. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Even completely new, only if you are planning to unlock it.

11. ValenR macrumors member

I didn't/don't have a contract with AT&T at all, meaning I'm an AT&T virgin.
    And I plan to unlock my iPhone so I could use it with other carriers.

Should I still do it or am I free* to choose whether to buy subsidized or unsubsidized ?

*free as in, it doesn't matter whether it's subsidized or not since it makes no BIG difference in money matters at all

12. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

I don't think AT&T will let you walk out of the door w/ an unactivated unsubsidized phone.

Apple on the other hand will make you sign a piece of paper saying you won't activate it on another carrier. But at that point I guess you're on the honor system, cuz how are they gonna stop you?

So if you never plan to use it on AT&T, then unsubsidized makes sense.

13. ValenR macrumors member

Alright thank you :D

Another question, regarding that Apple agreement (no other carrier other than AT&T).
    Let's say I signed it, and some time later I jb it, and then use the iPhone with another carrier.
    Are they able to ever find out ? Like let's say through MAC adress/Wi-Fi IP/adress inspection ?
    If yes, how grave would the penalty be ?
    Was there ever a case of such a case ?

14. .:Meh:. macrumors newbie

A couple of questions. What are the unsub prices on both iPhone 4 models? And would I be able to go into an AT&T or Apple store and tell them my current iPhone 3GS broke and they would let me buy an iPhone 4 unsub? Would I even need an excuse at all?

15. ValenR macrumors member

16GB = $599
    32GB = $699

So if you have already have both voice and data service, then you can buy the unsub one there.

Or just go to the Apple store, I heard they don't require you to have those voice and data services at AT&T

16. max pl macrumors regular

can someone clarify the micro sim activation bit for those of us who just want to go the unsubsidized route?

so the phone, if bought from apple, comes with the microsim in the box?
    if so, how exactly do i activate that microsim from home and get my number and account on there? is it possible to do myself or do i need to head to att? will att do it for those who buy unsubsidized from apple and not att?

17. Carlos E macrumors 6502

Carlos E

You would have to go to ATT and ask them to move your account from the full sized SIM to the Micro SIM. Or.... cut down your full size SIM to the Micro SIM size. :)

18. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

This is false.

If you took a few minutes to read this forum, I personally have answered this probably 2 dozen times.

The iPhone comes w/ a micro-sim. You connect it to iTunes to activate it. No need to go to a store.

However, unless you are buying the phone to activate on another carrier, it is financially very foolish to buy unsubsidized (do the math.)

19. MotherFinMike macrumors 6502

MotherFinMike

Don't you have to pay first months bill? also which is another 100?

20. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

I don't understand the question. Perhaps you should give me the entire scenario you are thinking of.

But if you are wanting an iPhone 4 to use on AT&T's network, purchasing unsubsidized is financially foolish.

21. MotherFinMike macrumors 6502

MotherFinMike

299 Phone
    325 Cancellation
    $100+1st monthes phone bill
    $18 Upgrade fee

724 seems like the same price as a unsubsidized phone

If you cancel under 30days don't you have to return the phone?

EDIT: I under stand your post now

22. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Yeah, I wasn't talking about cancelling. A lot of people seem to think the coolest thing to do is buy unsubsidized phone, yet turn around and activate them on AT&T "contract free".

Basically, they just pissed away $400.

23. turugara macrumors regular

The only reason you would buy an unsubsidized phone is if you don't plan on using it with the network or if you only use it with the network (Att) a few months out of the year.

Example: You use ATT for 3-4 months in a year and then you go overseas for the rest of the time. There's absolutely no reason to be on a contract.

24. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Agreed, but some people get all hung up on the "contract free" part and forget the money part.

25. coolb0yalex macrumors member

@geckotech

um... i don't think that he is "incorrect" because that is exactly what he needs to do. if he plugs the iPhone into the computer, it will only activate the phone and not bring all his account information over to the new micro sim. He does have to go to AT&T.

The reason why I know this is because I worked at Apple and I purchased the iPhone 3GS unlocked in Hong Kong. Of course, this case is a little different because all I had to do was put the SIM card into the unlocked device, but from my experience from Apple, we just send you to the nearest AT&T store and they will help you get your sim card information transferred over.