If you buy Pro from Best Buy and buy Applecare

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ethereal Divide, Mar 3, 2011.

1. Ethereal Divide macrumors newbie

I plan on buying an entry level 13" Pro from Best Buy to take advantage of their 18 months no interest deal. If it God forbid happens to have some issue like the overheating one I imagine I take it to BB to replace as long as it's within the 14 days. Now when I buy Applecare which I plan to do as soon as my Verizon $200 rebate VISA card shows up (just ordered FIOS being installed next week) do I then take it to an Apple store if it has problems or do I have to take it to the BB that I bought it from?

2. axu539 macrumors 6502a

You go to the Apple store. Once you buy from BB, and after the return policy has expired, you won't really have reason to go back to BB again with regards to the machine you just purchased. All service and support will come from Apple.

3. terzinator macrumors 6502

The Apple Store doesn't care where you bought it. You can bring it there, no prob.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Either one. As long as it's covered by Apple's warranty or AppleCare, you can always take it to Apple for service.

5. blevins321 macrumors 68030

It's been a couple years since I had one, but Applecare used to be in-home for desktop systems. Not sure if it's still like this though.

6. skasol macrumors 6502

why not buy the best buy protection plan? it covers accidental damage, applecare doesn't. you have 1000 different locations to take it to (best buy). just wondering, if best buy sold the upgraded version(HR AG screen) I would definitely buy from them and take advantage of Geeksquad protection and financing.

Good luck.

7. ZZANG macrumors regular

ZZANG

Geek Squad Accidental > AppleCare

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. foodog macrumors 6502a

foodog

Does anyone know, if Apple swaps out one machine for another what happens to the Geek Squad Accidental coverage? I assume it is transferable if you have the Apple documentation show serial number B was swapped out for serial number A under Applecare.

9. htc fan macrumors 6502

Yeah take Geek Squad Accidental warranty it covers drops, spills and apple care doesn't cover drops or spills.

10. Buck987 macrumors 6502a

is there significant cost differences in coverage?

11. Rellikard macrumors newbie

As long as it's the same model and you take it to GS, just show them the Apple exchange paperwork and they'll update the S/N in their system. But if you never checked it in for service, the S/N shouldn't be registered yet anyway.

12. Rellikard macrumors newbie

Apple doesn't cover accidental. I think 1 year accidental is $150, 2YR = $350, 3YR = $450.

Plan usually pays for itself after the first damage repair since if you say spill something on it and mess up the logic board, that alone's $500+.

13. skasol macrumors 6502

Also geeksquad has a no lemon policy. After 3 repairs on the 4th one they replace the unit they dont continue to fix it. I am on my 4th repair on my 4 month old MacBook pro. Screen, mobo, harddrive, and case.

14. ZZANG macrumors regular

ZZANG

Glad to hear some good comments about Geek Squad here. Me and another Apple sales rep don't even recommend Apple Care. For most customers getting 18 months interest free and theft protection + Geek Squad is of more value than buying at an Apple Store.

15. urkel, Mar 4, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2011

urkel macrumors 68030

Seriously? I've been using the best buy warranty on notebooks for over 10years but their prices went from high to insane!

1999 - $175 for 4yrs on $1400 Compaq
    2008 - $350 for 3yrs on $1200 15" Macbook Pro
    2011 - $350 for 2yrs on $1200 13" Macbook Pro

Thats right. We're talking about $350 warranty on a $1200 Macbook. I was so used to buying warranties that I paid it but didn't notice they reduced the warranty length to only 2yrs which is nuts. I'm actually returning the whole package because when I showed he wife we just spend $1600 on a base model 13" Macbook Pro then we realized we could buy 2 iPads and still have money left over.

So overall I'd DEFINITELY recommend the AppleCare instead. Its expensive but you get Longer warranty, better techs, easier service and fast turnaround times.

16. htc fan macrumors 6502

But apple care doesn't offer drop and spill warranty and geek squad accidental warranty does. Should consider that when comparing both of them.

17. wpotere, Mar 4, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2011

wpotere Guest

Applecare all the way! I have hads nothign but problems with BB's plans and will never give them another dime. It is always a hassle to get things fixed or swapped. Who knows Apple's computers better than Apple?

FYI... Most home/renter insurance will cover accidental damage. ;) Don't pay double for insurance.

18. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

They still do but it depends on the situation and how close/far you are to an Apple Store.

Desktops (Mac Pro, iMac): no mail-in support, only Apple Store and in-home support.

Portables (MacBook, MacBook Pro, MacBook Air): no in-house support, Apple Store and mail-in support only.

19. ZZANG macrumors regular

ZZANG

If you use renters insurance for that... Most often those insurances raise after using it...

20. skasol macrumors 6502

I agree, It's weird I never had an issue with bb warranty, I got an iphone swap from best buy twice due to me dropping it and cracking screen and water damage, my tv was repaired 3 times on the 4th time they replaced it. I am pretty happy, I wish they had the macbook pro model that I bought the one with the high resolution screen and antiglare and I would've bought the protection there as well. I don't think their prices are too expensive, I believe apple care for my unit is $349, same price as the bb warranty. good luck on your purchase just consider the accidental damage, I think it's well worth it for a portable unit.

21. Samuriajackon macrumors 6502

Samuriajackon

I just bought AppleCare for the 13in'er for 50 bucks less at Amazon.com