If you cannot beat them, open up a gay bar

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Shivetya, Aug 10, 2010.

1. Shivetya macrumors 65816

http://www.dailygut.com/?i=4696

MONDAY'S GREGALOGUE: MY NEW GAY BAR
    I'm announcing tonight, that I am planning to build and open the first gay bar that caters not only to the west, but also Islamic gay men. To best express my sincere desire for dialogue, the bar will be situated next to the mosque Park51, in an available commercial space.

This is not a joke. I've already spoken to a number of investors, who have pledged their support in this bipartisan bid for understanding and tolerance.

First I doubt he will get permission as NYC has regulations keeping bars and similar 200 feet or more from houses of worship.

The transit authority was recently forced to accept an ad which is against the new mosque, http://religionclause.blogspot.com/2010/08/new-york-mta-accepts-controversial-anti.html .

So I wonder, if he gets the permit who will sue to stop him? Do you think the novelty alone would be enough to support this bar? Islam isn't exactly tolerant, so if they could not stop it through law I wonder how well the bar would fare.

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Islamic bar? Better have a massive mark up on soft drinks if they're going to pay their bills.

3. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Americans who are Muslims are not the enemy. Muslims are not the enemy. Islam as a religion, is not the enemy.

Osama Bin Laden, and those who believe in a radical and perverted version of Islam, are the enemy.

Yes, there are those who oppose our colonization of the middle East, but I can guarantee you that if someone tried to colonize my part of America, I'd pull a Red Dawn on their As*. (Edit- if not Red Dawn, how about Rambo III)

4. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I don't really see a problem as long as it follows appropriate local rules.

5. Shotglass macrumors 65816

Shotglass

Religion itself is the enemy. Upon further research you will find that Osama's "version" of islam is neither radical nor "perverted", and not really in any way different from what Islam's founders intended their religion to be.

6. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I don't see anything wrong with this at all. It's a great idea, IF it's sincere.

If this is just using gays to take a jab at Muslims, that's not cool.

7. StruckANerve macrumors 6502

8. citizenzen macrumors 65816

There are approximately 7 million Muslims live in America.

How come there aren't at least 7 million murders?

Oh... maybe it's because they're trying to indoctrinate us.

No wonder I feel like bowing to Mecca.

9. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

10. SwiftLives macrumors 65816

SwiftLives

Okay. I'll bite. Could you be so kind as to provide us with some of your research? Or at the very least, point us in the right direction as to where I can see some of this research?

11. barkomatic macrumors 68040

An "Islamic" gay bar seems strange--like saying a "Christian" gay bar or a "Jewish" gar bar right?

Perhaps the person meant a bar for gay men of Arabic descent. There are plenty of gay bars in NYC that cater to ethnic groups. It's a good idea, I think an Arabic gay bar would be very popular.

12. djellison macrumors 68020

Islam is no less or more tolerant than Christianity.

13. Shivetya thread starter macrumors 65816

Well there aren't any countries which define themselves as Christian who actively stone adulterers or tip walls upon gays now are there? Let alone who relegate women to second class or worse status.

14. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Probably best you don't look too closely at Africa, then.

15. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

16. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

There are quite a few Christian countries were the punishment for being Gay is the death penalty. Mostly in Africa.

They also have very harsh laws in relation to women too. So I wouldn't try pulling that one.

Edit: Damn you leekohler! :)

17. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

A head in the sand approach is always best.

18. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

Do most Muslims practice this in the U.S.?

19. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Couldn't believe he made that claim. I had to! :)

20. Ttownbeast macrumors 65816

Few attempt to. On occasion there are police reports that hit the blotter in the local papers of cases involving domestic battery and child neglect centered around religious beliefs. These kinds of things happen rarely and usually wind up leading to deportations and/or prison time depending on the religion involved.

21. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    I do.. I think it's a thinly veiled cheap shot at Islam and intended to create trouble.

I'd be interested in knowing how many gay bars catered towards Islamic homosexuals he's opened up previously just for it's own sake.

22. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Possibly, but if so then there should be local rules against being a total jackass.

If it follows the rules of New York City it should be allowed - in a multicultural city the muslim population should be able to tolerate homosexuals.

23. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Yeah for sure, we know they probably wont though for some time..

24. Shotglass macrumors 65816

Shotglass

Because they're not taking their religion seriously, and not following its commandments.
    Roughly 80% of Americans claim to be Christians. How come none of them regularly stone gays, beat their kids and burn their wives in religious sacrifice, even though their holy scripture commands it? Same reason.
    See the bible for reference.

I am far too lazy to go into detail, but if you compare the Wikipedia article for Al-Quaeda with the Quran, you'll find that pretty much everything is in check.
    I know there are different schools of interpretation for the Quran, and that with many suras, different people take them to have different meaning, but so far everything that Osama and Al-Quaeda have claimed as their mission has been supported by the holy book of Islam.
    Obviously I don't need to remind you that at least 90% of all muslims will disagree with me on this. Just like 90% of christians say that Fred Phelps is a dick.