if you can't get your MB/MBP and forced to choose another laptop...which would it be?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lalababa55, Feb 12, 2008.

1. lalababa55 macrumors newbie

So i'm curious to know....

If you had to choose another laptop and couldn't go with the MB or MBP...which would it be?

2. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

bad question for this forum. i'll say ThinkPad or VAIO SZ.

3. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

dell xps 1530.

For serios though, I do not like windows anymore and if I am forced, then will probably buy the next best thing which is a dell....(do not want to go to linux)

4. eddy64 macrumors regular

dell xps m1330- best laptop (for its price and features including penryn) atm. If the mbp doesnt come out with a sick upgrade before mid summer, I'm going to have to buy the m1330 (even though i do prefer osx)

5. Schnebar macrumors 6502

6. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

I'd second that, or one close to it.

7. wentwj macrumors regular

If the MBP doesn't come out soon I may also be picking up an MBA, which I'll either sell when a major enough MBP update comes along, or I'll use along side an eventual MacPro

8. tip macrumors 6502

tip

9. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Thinkpad T61. I have an MB, and if not for my desire to stick with one computer for more than 2 months, I'd already have dropped the MB for the Thinkpad.

10. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

and I'll say powerbook G4. I'm sure I'll get accused of being a fanboy, but honestly, I'd rather use OS X on old hardware than windows on a penryn processor. I don't do anything that a G4 can't handle... it might handle it somewhat slowly, but it would be fine. I just don't find using windows enjoyable, no matter how good the hardware is.

11. lalababa55 thread starter macrumors newbie

Bad thing? I thing it's a great question.....

Oh, I forgot to mention it can't be an Apple laptop, haha ;)

12. conchshell macrumors member

13. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

sony Vaio.. for me, they're commendable in the way they design their products.. haven't u guys noticed.. anything made in japan means good quality.. my wife and i were talking about it last night, even with female cosmetics they're doing very good ( the japanese) and who doesn't like TEmpura? hmmm i'm getting hungry..

14. akadmon macrumors 68020

So far I've been considering Dell XPS M1530 and Sony Vaio FZ. Leaning toward the Dell because of better screen resolution. A couple of people in this thread mentioned Lenovo T61. Just checked their website and I'm liking it. It's available now with Penryn processors and can be had with Windows XP, yay! The only two drawbacks -- it's a tad more expensive than the others and the case design seems a bit dated. Anyway, looks like I'll have plenty to choose from should Feb 26 come and go without a MBP update.

15. Anderson3133 macrumors regular

Depends:
    For Price: Dell
    For Looks: HP Pavilion

16. fsckminix6 macrumors regular

17. gotzero macrumors 68040

I would say Vaio except I am boycotting all sony products until they figure out their DRM issues...

Other than that, probably an XPS, which are becoming nicer and nicer computers.

18. Mac_Max macrumors 6502

I'd put my own laptop together by purchasing a base Asus, MSI, or Compel model and adding the rest of the major parts with what I have in my spare parts drawer (Core Duo from the Mini, DDR2 SODIMMs from said mini, HD from my mom's Mac Book Pro, etc).

ABS laptops (ABS is Newegg's parent company) are good as well. Dell laptops aren't bad and are a joy to maintain hardware wise (i.e. almost every laptop they make uses the same keyboard per generation so finding a replacement is very easy/cheap) and are easy to work in.

19. JWest macrumors 6502

Higher budget- Alienware m15x
    Lower budget- Dell XPS m1530

20. Tosser macrumors 68030

Perhaps the Thinkpad Reserve Edition – although that one is more gimmicky than most.

More likely the Thinkpad X61s.
    Actually, I might just buy that anyway and toss Ubuntu on it, unless I could make it run OS X. If the latter, then I wouldn't have to wait for serious linux audio apps (which I am waiting for anyway, as it happens).

21. Tosser macrumors 68030

LOL, me too. Except I have been boycotting them for years, not just because of the DRM, but also because of their numerous proprietary software and hardware "solutions" (read "tie-ins").

22. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

i'm too accustomed to the mac os. if i couldn't get a macbook/macbook pro, i just might be tempted to get a macbook air. they're certainly not bad computers, just a bit expensive for my needs. used ibook g4 perhaps?

23. GeneKam macrumors regular

haha the new lenovo drain laptop. It sucks but it can take a venti starbucks latte to the keyboard and drain it out in 5 seconds without getting screwed, thats so ill, otherwise it would have to be alienware machines (all of them are good)

24. byke macrumors 6502a

byke