If you change your billing address with AT&T they will take away your unlimited plan

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by killabeezswarm, Aug 8, 2011.

1. killabeezswarm macrumors newbie

Has anyone else run into this?

My girlfriend just tried to order the iphone4 and her billing address was not up to date. AT&T will only ship to the billing address, but when she tried to change the address AT&T said they would not keep her on the unlimited data plan.

Has this happened to anyone else?

2. barkomatic macrumors 68040

This has not happened to me and I moved recently and changed my address. I'm thinking you may be dealing with an employee who may not be fully knowledgeable. Try speaking with a supervisor about it.

Unless the policy has changed. AT&T wants everyone off the unlimited plan and I wouldn't put it past them.

3. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

Address change should have zero effect on your plan. I moved six months ago and still have my unlimited plan. As long as your account number does not change that's all that matters.

4. b-rad g macrumors 6502a

b-rad g

There probably looking for any possible way to get people off unlimited plans. Don't buy it, it's in now way tied to your billing address.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

6. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Right? Especially considering I changed my address less than 2 months ago with no problem. The only way I could see this happening is if you're spending the majority of your minutes roaming or on someone else's network.

7. killabeezswarm thread starter macrumors newbie

I haven't gotten the whole story from her yet, but she said that if she had changed anything on her account, that they would have taken away the unlimited data and that was all the rep was looking to do during the conversation.

I think it does sound like a rep who may not have completely understood directions from AT&T.

Or, maybe AT&T will be issuing bonuses to reps who get people to "agree" to switch to a limited plan and this is just some underhanded tactic this rep was using.

8. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

And she currently has an iPhone?

9. killabeezswarm thread starter macrumors newbie

yep, 3 years and various 3g's

10. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

These two sound the most plausible. She should call back and talk with another agent.

11. lifeguard macrumors 6502

lifeguard

in the US there you are required to keep your billing address updated and in the AT&T agreement it says that modifying your address is NOT a contract modification and does not alter your agreement. They can't drop your unlimited for changing your address

12. AppleTech22 macrumors 6502

13. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

It is a general rule that if an ATT rep tells you something that doesn't make sense just hang up and call back.

14. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Not completely necessary.
    They'll put it back. If not, then I'd do with AppleTech22 said.

15. Ajones330 macrumors 6502a

Ajones330

When doing an address change reps do not even go into your features. That was someone trying to get a feature change and probably mistakenly removed the unlimited data plan. It was human error

16. Dogfood1 macrumors newbie

AT&T must have a new cadre of off-shore customer 'service' reps. Three calls and an online chat in the last week reminded me why I hate AT&T. There is no 'supervisor' and the lines of authority are purposely ill-designed so nobody can find a responsible party stateside that knows what's going on.

17. Clete2 macrumors 65816

Clete2

I just moved, split off of an account, made a new account, then merged it with another account and I was able to keep my unlimited data.

18. EddyP macrumors 6502

Yeah, that can be annoying.

I think they do it though because every moron who calls and isn't happy about something says "let me talk to your supervisor" when they get an answer they don't like. Then the supervisor has to come on and explain the same thing in smaller words.

I also hate the 300 prompts "you know you manage your account online. Just go to att.com and blah blah blah". Hey you morons! I'd LOVE to fix the problem online and not have to talk to you. But I can't!!!!

Ok. I'm done ranting.

OP: Is there any chance your GF tried to change some other feature? Or was offered some change that would have resulted in it being removed?

19. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

I know it's fashionable to bash AT&T and I'm not defending any wireless carrier, but to think they are trying to force users out of their unlimited plans is a myth. The most likely explanation is a simple misunderstanding due to a new or untrained rep. Calling in you're connected with a massive call center. Anyone familiar with call centers know the turnover is high. It's stressful dealing with the public as well as scammers that will pull anything. Chances are when they are called back everything will be restored. If you read the terms of the contract, change of address has no impact on your plan. It's spelled out plain as day.

20. kdog005 macrumors member

This^^

21. killabeezswarm thread starter macrumors newbie

She was not trying to change any features, just wanted to order a new iphone and get the rebate that wasn't available by going in store.

she had an online chat with a csr (i'm waiting on her to send me the transcript, and i'll post here)

she was on the phone with them for an hour and went through 3 levels of csr and each told them the same thing.

they said they can only send to the billing address, if she changed her billing address she'd lose her unlimited plan. then did say that if something happens to the iphone that they will replace it, but if someone signs for it, it is out of their hands.

22. Carl G35c macrumors 6502

Cant you just update the Billing Address online?

It will not have anyimpact on plans/features

23. los318 macrumors 6502

los318

I was just about to suggest that. Just change your address online. No reason to deal with them about that.

I am so nervous about calling them now. Whenever i need to call them or make a change i always make sure to say "will this effect my unlimited data plan" the answer is always "no" but that way its on record since all those calls are recorded.

24. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

Let's get down to the AT&T's specific terminology.

"Features & Services" pertain to things such as: text messaging packages, Data & Internet services, GPS, Tethering, AT&T mobile insurance, Mobile to Any Mobile Calling, etc.

"Voice Plan" pertains to the package you have chosen for calling. The number of minutes allowed. ie: A family plan, or individual plan that includes the number of minutes you've chosen.

Either or all of these may be changed, with NO impact on your unlimited data, as long as you do not cancel the contract and terminate the line.

I know, I frequently make changes to mine since I have several lines, my needs are very dynamic, and by making the appropriate changes via closely monitoring my usage, I save quite a bit of money.

AT&T has never touched the three unlimited data plans I have on my personal lines. Ever.

25. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

I don't understand why AT&T would encourage everyday users to switch to a tiered plan.

For one, they get $5 more out of the 2Gb option (And $15 more than the 200mb option), and most users don't even go over 2gb.