If you could choose anywhere in the world to live

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by AlliFlowers, Feb 21, 2016.

1. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

Where would you go if you were not tied down by a job or family. I'd like somewhere with a temperate climate, access to good healthcare, politically stable (IOW, no matter how much I love Côte d'Ivoire, its constant state of civil war leaves it from my short list), and affordable.

Is there such a place?

2. puma1552 macrumors 601

Japan, the southern/western part where it's more temperate.

Fantastic national healthcare, politically apathetic society, and more affordable to live than you'd think.

3. rbrian macrumors 6502a

rbrian

I'd probably choose somewhere in Scandinavia. I've never liked hot weather, but I like scenery. They have good quality of living there too, always scoring well on the human development index, and happiness surveys. The next best thing would be where I live now, Scotland, if it was independent. The U.K. Government is getting more and more totalitarian.

4. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Northern Italy - in a perfect world - would be one of mine. Love the culture, history, civilisation, cuisine, antiquity….and the fact that even the mundane is superb.

Perhaps southern France, too.

Scandinavia (but only in summer). I love their political, economic, social, cultural (HDI) stats, but - as someone born in a sun deprived, charcoal leaden skies corner of north western Europe, that climate (however good for political and economic development) is soul-destroying in winter.

5. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

Bermuda.

I'm not sure I could live in a place without really having seasons though.

6. AlliFlowers thread starter Contributor

AlliFlowers

I wonder how long it would take me to learn to speak Japanese....

I've considered that in the past, but never anything specific.

I live in a season-less area now. It took me a few years to get used to it.

The thing I wouldn't want to live away from is the water. I don't care if it's the ocean, or just a large lake. But it's what I love.

7. Dsching Suspended

Dsching

Hawaii - because of the ocean and the weather.

8. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

9. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

It's my dream to live on the water. Unfortunately the cost is a bit ridiculous almost everywhere these days.

10. puma1552 macrumors 601

Plan on 10+ years of solid study to be great at it.

11. CooperBox macrumors 6502a

CooperBox

But for a non-Japanese national i.e. not having paid into their healthcare system, wouldn't it be shockingly expensive to take out permanent private healthcare insurance.
    I say this because here in France (I'm a UK citizen) I'm covered for 70% of healthcare costs only because I paid into the UK system for many years, plus there is a reciprocal agreement between the 2 governments. For the remaining 30% coverage I take out private insurance. Anyone coming here from outside the European Union without healthcare coverage wouldn't get 'free' cover in France.
    This healthcare issue (or the lack of it) is so often overlooked by those looking for 'the perfect place to live'.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 22, 2016 ---
    Maybe, maybe not. Learning a new language is very much age dependent. For a young child, they'd master the basics within 2-3 years, including the new alphabet! For those 30 years or over it could easily take 10 years or even more. For those in their 50's they'd probably learn enough to get by, but imho would never become fluent.

12. AlliFlowers thread starter Contributor

AlliFlowers

Your 2nd language takes a while. Subsequent languages are easier. Even though I'm almost out of my 50's, it would be my 4th language, so I'd expect to get there a lot faster.

13. chown33 macrumors 604

I find your lack of breadth disturbing. Why limit this to the world of Earth?

I'd like to go OffWorld. I'd probably avoid the attack ships on fire off shoulder of Orion, and head somewhere near the Tannhäuser Gate.

14. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I moved to the exact place I wanted to be. Not much has changed except that I plan on moving further out of the suburb I am in and towards the country with a bit more land. If I could live anywhere and not think about work and such, it would likely be on an island somewhere. Not too sure where.

15. pivo6 macrumors 68000

pivo6

Somewhere in Scandinavia for the reasons already mentioned. I live in Minnesota so the weather wouldn't be too much different.

16. ameriMacka Suspended

17. Natzoo macrumors 65816

Natzoo

1. Frankfurt, germany (center of europe, aviation)
    2. Naples, Florida (small town close to Miami and Tampa)

18. ThisBougieLife macrumors 65816

ThisBougieLife

Coastal Spain. Or Australia. Those were my favorite places to visit.

19. ameriMacka Suspended

20. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Iceland in a heartbeat. Wonderful people and great landscapes for exploring....

21. puma1552 macrumors 601

there are two kinds of national health care, public sector and private sector i believe were the two types if i recall - ive had both as i worked in both sectors. the public sector one was free to me as a foreigner, the private sector one was not free, but it was reasonable. and if i paid into either for 26 years, id retire with a full pension. to my knowledge there is no private insurance at all (not 100% sure but i think if youre unemployed or whatever you are still covered under one of the two kinds, just in a different way).

as for the language, do you just want to speak it, or also read it, and even more difficult, write it? japanese students continue learning it in school all the way to high school graduation, so it takes them nearly 20 years as native speakers being born there to really master it (and at that there are 2000 common everyday kanji but really there are over 50000, and most japanese people know maybe 5000, some people maybe 10000 but rarely more than fhat). 10 years was likely generous on my part, to be honest.

22. sk1wbw Suspended

sk1wbw

The Pork And Beans, baby!!! Rent is dirt cheap and there are openings every day.

23. Savor Suspended

Savor

Okinawa where the centurions are common because they eat healthy. If not somewhere in Japan, somewhere in Monica Bellucci's bedroom.