If you could choose the average length of Apple's upgrade cycle…

Discussion in 'iPad' started by kalsta, Oct 23, 2012.

?

If you could choose the average length of Apple's upgrade cycle, what would it be?

1. Daily updates (with tiny incremental improvements)

1 vote(s)
    3.8%
  2. Monthly updates

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 3 month updates

2 vote(s)
    7.7%
  4. 6 month updates

7 vote(s)
    26.9%
  5. 12 month updates

14 vote(s)
    53.8%
  6. 2 year updates

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Never. I like my Power Mac G5 just the way it is.

2 vote(s)
    7.7%
  1. kalsta macrumors 68000

kalsta

A lot of complaining by third gen iPad owners about the timing of the fourth gen iPad. So I'm curious… If people could choose the average length of Apple's upgrade cycle for all products (Macs, iPhones, iPads, iPods, etc), what would it be? When answering, forget that some options, like the daily updates, are technically unfeasible! Imagine that for every option, the overall rate of change is the same as you would currently expect, so after 2 years, all the products look the same.

2. kalsta thread starter macrumors 68000

kalsta

Only 4 votes so far… Where have all the cranky iPad 3 owners gone? Surely they want to register their vote for longer upgrade cycles! :)

3. UmbraDiaboli macrumors regular

I really don't care. I only update my gadgets when they change the design.

However, just because the short cycles competition have on their products I think it should be between 6-12 months and not more... ALSO, if they have shorter cycles, they should lower prices too, otherwise many customers will eventually be pissed off.

4. profets macrumors 68040

I have an iPad 3 from launch day, and the update really doesn't bother me. I don't think there will be 6 month updates too often. I really see the iPad going into a Mac type of cycle where they update it with new internals when ready each year. I mean, just like the macbook pro or iMac, how often can you keep changing the exterior of it? Maybe once every 2-3 years?

I tend to sell and buy annually as well, and doing that every 6 months for iPhones and iPads would get pretty annoying. Of course I could wait a year anyway, but the iPhone/iPad would be devalued by having a more recent model around.

5. ahmet macrumors member

Laughed really hard after seeing "daily updates" :D

6. ender78 macrumors 6502

I voted daily :) I love my iPad 3. I was going to upgrade to the iPhone 5 from my iPhone 4 but felt that my money would be better spent on a new MacBook. The iPhone 4 does everything I need it to do and my iPad 3 has become my primary gaming/couch lounging machine. I use the Mac Pro that I write this on a fair bit less due to the iPad 3's amazing screen. About the only thing that would have upset me is a significant upgrade in the screen quality.

7. kalsta thread starter macrumors 68000

kalsta

Thanks for voting everyone… especially that one guy with the Power Mac G5.

I'd be happy to see more frequent updates if it were technically feasible (knowing that I can buy when it suits me, and not feel the need to wait for a major release), although we'd lose the excitement of those big product launches. However, it seems somewhere between 6 and 12 months is preferred by most. Maybe as humans we're programmed to expect a new product to take at least 9 months? :)