If you could take pictures with your eyes, would you consider it as the best camera?

Blackberryroid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 8, 2012
/private/var/vm/
If you could take pictures with your eyes, would you consider it as the best camera ever? I know I would. It's so clear, clearer than the ISO 100 of my DSLR or it's 8 Megapixels.

Mousse

macrumors 68020
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
No zoom, no wide angle, no infrared, no long exposure, no high speed shutter, no flash, limited resolution. No, not the greatest camera.

On the plus side, there's a fantastic dynamic range, white balancing and exposure compensation.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
The eye would make a crappy camera. It's only high resolution within a very small area in the center. There is also a blind spot at the optic nerve. We don't notice these things because our brains try to fill in the blanks.

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
No zoom, no wide angle, no infrared, no long exposure, no high speed shutter, no flash, limited resolution. No, not the greatest camera.
Zooming? Buy an adapter.
Wide angle? Samething, but I think the eye is wide enough.
Infrared? Most people don't use that.
Long exposure? Depends what you mean by "long." They eye can see pretty well at night. Star trails, well...ok
High speed shutter? The eye is more a video camera so it's not really applicable in this case.
No Flash? Get a flash light.
Limited resolution? The eye has amazing detail.

Course this is based on good vision. :D

boss.king

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
My eyes are pretty much perfect, and a good DSLR can already out-do them at many things, so no.

jeremy h

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2008
UK
Yes, nice link. I was going to also say that the hardware is rubbish (upside down images, bad colour repro round the edges, bad low light performance in the middle of the sensor etc etc etc)

But... the firmware that drives it and the image processing software is really something else!

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Have you gotten that checked out? Thats an early retinal detachment symptom in some cases.
Had them for as long as I can remember, always bring it up with the opticians and opthamologists but my retinas fine. It all is, just awful astigmatism (which does put a strain on the retina but it's still fine they say).
But thanks for the concern nontheless :)

rei101

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011
If we were in the medieval times I would be dead by the vision I have. And is not as bad as other people posted here.