If you didn't own a Macbook, what laptop would you buy?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MultiMediaWill, Feb 26, 2011.

1. MultiMediaWill macrumors 68000

I just bought a new macbook but I was wondering if you guys could chose another laptop from another brand, what would it be?

2. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

If I didn't own a MacBook Pro, I would get a MBP 13" from the Apple Store nearby as soon as it opens. If I could chosoe another laptop from another brand, why "could"? I can. I can buy whatever I want. I would choose an MBP 13".

3. trent0n macrumors newbie

sony vaio z series or lenovo thinkpad....ive never owned or used either of them...but those are 2 really good laptops that could compare to a macbook, but not in design of course.:cool:

4. Radex macrumors member

I believe I would have bought something from the HP Pavilion dv7 series.

5. torbjoern macrumors 65816

torbjoern

If I HAD to choose another one, it would have been a Vaio, I think. Of course I COULD have chosen a Vaio instead of buying the Air that I ended up with. There was no-one who forced me to go with Apple.

6. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

To be completely honest, if I couldn't own an Apple laptop I wouldn't buy a laptop. I'd get an iPad or just use my iPhone whilst on the go and use a Mac Pro as my main computer. Nothing against windows PCs, but I've never owned one and never want to own one :)

7. Benjamins macrumors 6502a

8. Benjamins macrumors 6502a

Me and my cousin both had a vaio both are horrible.:rolleyes:

9. macduke macrumors 604

macduke

Sony Vaio or HP (I think it's called Studio, or something).

I would never, ever buy a Toshiba. I've had several family members who are like "why did you pay so much for your MBP?" but have spent more than I have over the past 3 years I've owned it as their computers broke in various ways, including motherboards dying, pieces breaking off (cheap plastic), fans going out causing overheating and failure, viruses messing things up, having to upgrade from Vista to 7 because Vista was so terrible, having to upgrade the ram because Vista couldn't run on the 512mb that came with their crappy system, and I could go on. Lots of bad things, especially on the Toshibas. But they keep buying them because they are cheap.

Second worst is Dell. I had a Dell before I switched to Mac and that thing was a piece. The outer edges of the case would always shock me on the forearm/wrists. Talk about scary. The DVD drive never worked either. Went through several replacements, still sucked terribly. Not to mention the terrible panels they use on the displays for all those cheap laptops.

Finally convinced my sister to switch to Mac last fall after going through several Toshibas and now she is hooked on Apple. She bought an iPhone 3GS refurb the other day to replace her BB and loves it too. Hopefully the rest of my family follows suit. I'm tired of having to fix all their problems. I'm not even that good at it any more because I don't keep up with PC stuff, but luckily PC's don't advance that rapidly and I can still mostly figure it out!

10. tigress666 macrumors 68040

Well, if I had decided to buy a PC laptop like I originally was going to before I got the MB, it would have been some one's old, cheap, used PC.

I only ended up spending a lot more on a macbook by pondering if I could find a cheap used macbook (as I was slightly missing Mac OS), realizing even the old ones weren't cheap (or at least the ones that weren't so old they were ancient), and realizing for a few hundred more I could get the newest MB over the used ones that weren't that much cheaper (I found a good deal on ebay for that to tell the truth).

And that's how I went with wanting to spend a couple hundred just for some used laptop that I just wanted to use a word processor for into 900 for a macbook that ended up replacing my PC cause I liked it that much better (just in time for the hard drive on the PC to die. It was on its way but it was dieing a very slow, gradual death. It just took more and starting it up several times before it would get past a screen and then one day it just never would get past that screen). But yeah, going back to it made me remember why I liked it (I left right around when they introduced OSX. Didn't really care for OSX at the time (I really had liked OS 9, it was prolly my favorite pre OSX macOS) but by tiger they had smoothed it out and it was much nicer).

11. leetlamer macrumors member

HP Envy. It copied a lot of design elements from the MBP. Which is a good thing.

12. Crosbie macrumors 6502a

Crosbie

All other notebooks look like plasticky bundles of trouble. Even Vaios. The touchpads look so cramped. They're plastered in garish stickers and 'funky' design elements. They look cheap and unwieldy compared to MBP.

My previous notebook was a MB White. It was by far the most beautiful computer I'd ever owned, and a pleasure to use. Still will be to whoever is lucky enough to buy it off me.

Only the CR-48 even looks like a challenger from a design viewpoint, and I have no idea of the build quality, nor what software you'd want to run on it; and you basically can't get it right now, so it's not a real contender.

13. grahamnp macrumors 6502a

Up until the current revision, I would have bought a Dell Latitude, XPS or HP Elitebook but I would have no hesitation about picking the mid-level 15".

14. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

What I wouldn't buy is a toshiba or sony.

HP, Lenovo or Dell.
    I am pretty rough on laptops, the dell with the accidental warranty for 4 years is tough to beat.

15. eaf7s macrumors regular

If I couldn't have a MacBook? I'd probably deal without a laptop and get an iMac, and a refurb iPad ;)

16. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

Another vote for the Vaio Z.

And if Apple dumb down OSX over the next year or two then that`s exactly what I`ll do.
    Really hope not tho.

I do currenly own a 2010 Dell inspiron (see sig) and it s**$ a$$

17. arctic macrumors 6502a

arctic

Owning a non-mac if fine if you're ok with doing an OS reinstall or complete reformat every six months or so. No matter how awesome the specs are. I'd rather get a cheap refurb Mac. :)

18. makinao macrumors regular

It would be a Thinkpad. I had an IBM Thinkpad before I got my first mac in 2005. It really had the best keyboard of any computer I've ever used, portable or desktop. I found it strange that I heard many say that Thinkpads, like macs, were overpriced and underspec'd. I've read mixed reviews of Lenovo Thinkpads, specially regarding service and support. But if the keyboards are still as good as before, and I absolutely had to get a wintel machine, Thinkpads would be at the top of the list.

19. mike.coulter macrumors regular

mike.coulter

If I were to buy another laptop, other than my standard Windows 7 laptop, it would either be the Alienware M11X or the 13" mba ultimate.

20. iPhone1 macrumors 65816

iPhone1

Google Cr-48 (have one :p) or a Lenovo X-series ThinkPad.

21. wct097 macrumors 6502

Lenovo or Dell. Always felt that Sonys were junk. Never had any luck with them, other than making a killing on comisson (and praying they weren't returned for being junk) back when I worked for CompUSA in college.

22. binary10 macrumors member

Probably a Lenovo Thinkpad.. The i5 edge is a bit chunky but price wise you can't fault it and plays with ubuntu as a native OS nicely.

I've had bad expriences with various Vaios, ranging from 4 to 2 years ago. Stupid BIOS wouldn't boot USB devices even though listed.

Dell has been okish. Though my daughters 1yr old i3 dell screen has started to 'white out' a few times. Is fine with the ubuntu OS, just becareful with Dell specific drivers e.g. wireless. It need to be loaded post install.

23. melterx12 macrumors 6502a

If I didn't own a MacBook.... I would buy a MacBook.