If you don't like the iphone5 get an android

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by surjavarman, Oct 1, 2012.

1. surjavarman macrumors 6502a

People that say that if you don't like the iphone 5 you should get an android phone. And don't let the door slam your buttocks on your way out.

Well sometimes thats not an option at all. I am for example in a huge predicament. I don't like cheap flimsy plastic toy phones. So I am already eliminating 100% of the phones in just one swoop. How can I still get an android phone if I want a bigger screen, a more engaging OS and a cheaper phone but I don't want to go plastic? Please enlighten me

2. WoodrowCall macrumors 6502

WoodrowCall

Wait until November and get the Lumia 920 or HTC 8x, both of those look like really solid phones, and I personally think that Windows 8 looks really promising.

3. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I don't know how many actual android devices you've touched recently, but none of them are cheap flimsy toy plastic. The high-end devices are all sturdy, even if they are made from polycarbonate, which is not cheap plastic.

4. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

Then buy an iPhone and stop whining. It's call compromise. Pick what is most important to you and find the phone that best fits that.

Or gets millions in VC and engineer your own phone.

5. surjavarman thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well its still plastic, artificial, synthetic. The feel is just different than that of aluminum and that only detracts from the user experience. I have also seen drop tests of the sgs3 and the iphone 5. The iphone5 came out on top

6. upnorth85 macrumors 6502

I remember this same discussion 2 decades back when automotive companies started adding plastic fenders, and other parts. Plastic can be made really strong and durable using composite materials. In fact I would buy a house with a plastic siding over an aluminum siding for the dings that can come up from hail etc. I use Ottobox or other cases that can take the impact of drops so then my concern is only the phone features rather than the phone outer covering which would be a very superficial way to choose a phone.

7. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Sounds like what you want simply doesn't exist then.

In any case, you have to choose: either the iPhone 5 is soo bad that you have to move to another platform as others have... OR, the other options are so bad that you may as well stick to the iPhone.

Or, you could just stay with a 4S. Since that's the last design ever to get St. Steve's eternal anointed blessing before He left us, and everything after that is a mere shadow from a company doomed to failure, it's your best option, right?

8. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

Good grief. Go buy an iPhone and be done with it. There isn't a thing in the world wrong with plastic in a phone. That doesn't make it feel like a cheap toy if built correctly. The S3 and Galaxy Nexus aren't cheap feeling. If you are just to good to own a plastic phone get a Moto RAZR, it's primarily carbon fiber. You make it obvious you are to good for Android, pick an iPhone and be happy. There is a reason most phones are plastic, it's durable. Glass break, soft metal dents and scratches easily. It's also cheap. Scratch it to pieces and replace for next to nothing.