If you got the Verizon Wifi+3G Model and have AT&T for your phone please try..

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Johnny Steps, Mar 15, 2012.

1. Johnny Steps macrumors 6502

Johnny Steps

And put your AT&T SIM card into your Verizon and see if it works!

2. jsnuff1 macrumors 6502a

+1 !

3. 1080p macrumors 68030

1080p

AT&T customers get warnings from AT&T for using smartphone data sims in iPad. Unlimited users risk AT&T messing with their plan...

4. Johnny Steps thread starter macrumors 6502

Johnny Steps

It worked?!

----------

So why are people saying they want to use HSPA+ AT&T and Verizon LTE on their iPads?

5. 1080p macrumors 68030

1080p

Well... I guess I should clarify... AT&T Smartphone SIM cards.

AT&T iPad SIM Cards can be swapped with no penalty. And yes... all iPads come SIM unlocked. So you can use any HSPA/GSM SIM card and it will work.

6. jsnuff1 macrumors 6502a

no I just have the same question as you! haha

7. aka777 macrumors 6502a

Everyone is waiting for this question to be answered.

If it does work, it makes the VZ version incredible value.

8. Johnny Steps thread starter macrumors 6502

Johnny Steps

So....

9. Digidesign macrumors 6502

Is it confirmed that putting an ATT iPhone SIM into the ATT iPad will get you into trouble?

10. 1080p, Mar 15, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2012

1080p macrumors 68030

1080p

VZW iPad:
    Can connect to VZW LTE, VZW CDMA using VZW SIM Card. Can use AT&T or any other GSM/UMTS SIM card for 3G service. CANNOT connect to AT&T LTE.

AT&T iPad:
    Can connect to AT&T LTE, AT&T HSPA+, AT&T GSM using AT&T SIM Card. Can use any other GSM/UMTS SIM card for 3G service. CANNOT connect to VZW LTE or CDMA.

----------

People who tried it last year reported that it worked, but then got warning messages from AT&T about it.

11. REDTAZ macrumors regular

So wouldn't it be a better deal to simply get the Verizon iPad seeing as you could use an AT&T SIM Card to connect to HSPA+. In the end meaning you get more for your money, as in carrier options?

12. 1080p macrumors 68030

1080p

Well... I guess you buying the VZW version allows you to use both VZW or AT&T on your iPad... but if someone is that gung ho about wanting to use AT&T, wouldn't you want to be able to get onto their LTE network?

13. aka777 macrumors 6502a

Has this been confirmed? I thought this was the case and made the point in a number of threads but I had no solid proof of it.

----------

What LTE network? :D These guys have not even completed their 3G rollout, the real 4G will take at least 3 to 4 years.

VZ's LTE is huge and a solid performer, however, having HSPA+ allows you to use ATT while waiting for VZ's LTE to activate in your area.

14. Johnny Steps thread starter macrumors 6502

Johnny Steps

The reason is Verizon has much better coverage. However AT&T has great 3G/HSPA+ speeds thus...

For traveling, use Verizon 3G or if you know it's possible AT&T HSPA+

Then for LTE, Verizon has much more coverage so yeah..

15. REDTAZ macrumors regular

Exact same thing I'm thinking. If this is true I'll be picking myself up a Verizon model as opposed to just WiFi.

16. 1080p macrumors 68030

1080p

I picked up the VZW version as well... but not to stick an AT&T SIM into it.

I got VZW because...

VZW LTE obviously has more coverage than AT&T.

I have an AT&T iPhone, so the iPad can bolster my coverage with the free hotspot in iPad... tether my iPhone to iPad and use Skype if need be...

Especially when camping up north. AT&T sucks in the Northern AZ woods, but VZW works... I'll still be able to iMessage, use TextFree app...etc.

17. Johnny Steps thread starter macrumors 6502

Johnny Steps

So you think I should do the same? I mean the college that I'm transferring to is in one of the cities AT&T will be bringing LTE to... but eh. I'll check this thread later today in the morning before I heard on over to Best Buy. I'm planning on not buying another iPad for a while so I'm investing in a 64GB Wifi+3G but no idea what carrier... BTW I am already on AT&T. I got an iPhone 4S.

18. sidgriffey macrumors member

Question:

I have both a Verizon and AT&T iPad arriving Friday. I will choose which one to keep. But if I were to keep the Verizon model, what would happen if I put the 3G card from my iPad 1 into it? Would I get HSPA+ speeds and would it be on that iPad 1's plan? Also, would having an AT&T sim in there preclude me from switching on the LTE and getting Verizon 4g LTE service?

19. 1080p macrumors 68030

1080p

You would get HSPA+ speeds.

Also... the last question you wasted is funny.

Here is my smart ass answer. Yes.... having an "AT&T SIM in there" would preclude you from "switching on the Verizon LTE" because you would need to physically remove the AT&T SIM card first. :D;)

But really now... all jokes aside, you could swap out SIMs and activate the Verizon LTE SIM and swap to your heart's content.

20. JasonR macrumors 6502a

JasonR

I'm assuming no LTE if switching iPhone SIM into Verizon iPad (if it's even possible)?

No way to get unlimited data on my Verizon LTE iPad from my Verizon iPhone? :\

21. sidgriffey macrumors member

Haha, cool. Way too tired to think straight lol. So I live in LA. Based on whatever you know about the LTE service in this market, should I go with the Verizon model all things considered?

22. jsnuff1 macrumors 6502a

Are you just assuming what everyone else thinks should happen, or have you physically obtained a Verizon iPad and tested this out already? If so post a pic of it or it didn't happen =P

23. Johnny Steps thread starter macrumors 6502

Johnny Steps

Yeah lol... I need to know if that's true. Today's the big day!

24. aperry macrumors 6502a

Seriously, this question hasn't been answered yet? I logged on this morning for this.

25. mkthunder21, Mar 16, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2012

mkthunder21 macrumors newbie

Verizon supports Sim swapping between devices, so you should be good to go. Too bad your iPhone doesn't have a sim card to swap (yet).