If you had to bet your life on it, change in iPhone X pricing next year or not?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Kendo, Nov 6, 2017.

1. Kendo macrumors 68020

Since the X is the phone of "tomorrow", is it safe to assume there is a $100 to $200 premium attached to this phone today? Do you think Apple will keep the same $1000 pricing structure next year with the iPhone Xs or do you think it'll be lower?

2. Goldfrapp, Nov 6, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2017

Goldfrapp macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

Apple rarely lowers pricing

What they will do is give you more features for the same price and call it "lower pricing" like they always do

iPhone X Plus may take on the pricing of iPhone X though, thus pushing iPhone X to a lower price tier, logically

3. DNichter macrumors G3

DNichter

I think they will, but the price hasn't been a problem for me at all.

4. icewolf247 macrumors regular

I expect the prices to go up as it has every year

5. Lobwedgephil macrumors 601

Lobwedgephil

I think the same pricing, with a more expensive plus model.

6. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

I do not see how you think Apple would lower the price.o_O

Will be the same with even high priced X+

7. Falhófnir macrumors 68040

Falhófnir

Hard to say, could depend on how well the X sells at it's current price - if apple think they can get away with offering a model at a $999 price point in perpetuity they probably will. They might lower it by $100 if they want to introduce a plus-size oled phone at $999, they might (unlikely) take the next oled phone down to regular latest model pricing - but really there's little precedent to go on here.

8. gadgetfreaky macrumors 65816

it depends on the market share for X- if this thing is getting 40% of their total shipments which is highly possible- expect same price or more with additon of plus model for 100 more. it seems to be selling pretty well.

they'll probably just make the memory more realistic at 128 gb for the base model so you don't have to pay 150 extra for a phone. i.e. a stealth decrease

i.e.
    Xi 128gb $999
    xi 256 $1150

Xi 128 + $1099
    xi 256 + $1250

9. iapplelove macrumors 601

iapplelove

These are my thoughts as well. They will probably sell even more at the same price point next year. And the plus models at least 150 more.

10. protoxx macrumors 6502a

protoxx

Why would anyone bet their life on something as frivolous as the price of a cell phone?

11. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

The iPhone X will see a reduction in price point when the new iteration is announced in 2018. The expected iPhone 'X' Plus will likely see a price increase, similarly to how the iPhone Plus models are more expensive over the 4.7 variants.

12. Dirtydutch macrumors 6502a

Dirtydutch

Doubtful since specs will be bumped up in every aspect

13. MacintoshDan macrumors 6502

While I think the $999 price point is legitimately insane, I don't see why they would lower it when they are selling very well. I think they will settle back into the normal price ranges as the technology matures and becomes cheaper to manufacturer.

14. Ryan1524 macrumors 68000

Ryan1524

X 128 - $899
    X 256 - $999

X+ 128 - $1149
    X+ 256 - $1249

15. D.T. macrumors G3

D.T.

That's not a bad prediction on the storage capacity increase on the $999 model (which keeps the same price).

I'm going to suggest the larger X will be at least $149, that's the current price difference between iPad Pro models (10.5 vs. 12.9). Given that it's also OLED, it might be as high as $200 (also making it $50 more than the higher priced "lower end" model).

16. DougFNJ macrumors 65816

DougFNJ

$1,000 Plus is not mainstream pricing. I think being new and probable paying more for components to get this out there contributed to the high price. My guess is maybe one more year on the 8/8 Plus design naming that iPhone 9 and same pricing on the X with no Plus next year. The year after the prices come down to increase affordability and demand for mainstream users.

17. Mabus51 macrumors 65816

Xs or XI whatever they call it will be the same price as the current. The X will be lowered in price as by that time it will be a year old and considered ancient tech by then.

18. KingslayerG5 Suspended

KingslayerG5

Considering Note8 and Pixel 2 XL are close to $950, no changes.

Next year -

$1000+ - iPhone Xs (or XI)
    $700+ - iPhone X
    $500+ - iPhone 8 / 8 Plus

The only changes will be my upgrade habits. I don’t need the latest and greatest. I can wait 18-24 months for a price drop. I realized this when I saw people joking on YouTube that they still use an iPhone 4!

I'm all about practicality. Not showing off. Like Danny Glover in Lethal Weapon, I'm getting too old for this ****. Don't care if my phone is "archaic" or deemed ancient after only 1-2 years by hipsters.

I admire one of my uncles using a cheap Nokia candybar phone with monochrome screen. Smaller than the 3310. He jokes to us all if it can do Facebook or email? Had it since 2002. Still uses it today. Imagine 15 years and only needing to change the battery twice.

Phones are becoming like laptops where we don't need the latest and greatest every 1-2 years. They lose 50% of their resell value every year. Some can last 5+ years if you want. You don't want to be a slave to planned obsolescence. Also bad for the environment with all that e-waste.

19. rayricepudding macrumors member

Actually, the original iPhone launched at $499 (4gb) and $599 (8gb) with a two year contract. The following year (the iPhone 3G) the prices dropped to $199 (8gb) and $299 (16gb). From there, the two lowest price points for new iPhones stayed the same until the iPhone 6S - That's right, just two years ago you could get a brand new iPhone 6S for $199 on a two year contract. Now that the carriers have done away with the two year contract pricing, the phones seem a lot more expensive. However, with my plan, AT&T gives me a $25/month discount for having AT&T next, so if I were to get the $800 iPhone 8, it would end up coming out to the same $200 price that I paid for my 6, 5, 4 and 3G.

The X is new, with entirely new tech built into it, the development of which was accelerated to hit a fall release date. With increased manufacturing comes economies of scale - the more they make, the less expensive it will become to continue to make more of them. The OLED screens, depth sensor and other new components (especially the stainless steel frame) will all become less expensive to manufacture - probably substantially so. I fully expect the iPhone model replacing the X next year to start at a price point $100-200 lower.

I also expect the 8 to be the last of the bezeled iPhones. Think about the headache of asking developers to continue to develop for both formats? Won't happen. At some point, Apple will probably release a smaller version of today's X, to replace the SE, and a larger version to replace the plus model. Honestly, getting entirely rid of the existing black bezel around the X would probably make the screen damn near the width of the plus model, so maybe they just do that, rather than even introduce another plus model.

20. JohnnyQuest macrumors 65816

JohnnyQuest

I think the X will be lowered by $100-200 with moderate spec bumps, and the X Plus will cost what the X costs now.

21. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

Why would I bet my life on the price of an iPhone? People so dramatic.

22. Two Stacks macrumors regular

23. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

As usual if Apple changes the price of a phone it will go up....

24. CaTOAGU macrumors 6502a

Tough to say but the original iPhone had its price reduced mid cycle so there's precedent. I do think whatever they do they'll keep a phone at the iPhone 8s price point.

25. Goldfrapp macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

I said rarely, not never