If you had to buy a PC, what would you NOT buy?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by SkyBell, Feb 27, 2009.

1. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Spin off of other thread. I'm interested in what people don't particularly care for in the PC world.

And for the love of all that is good, no flaming PLEASE.

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

3. EV0LUTION macrumors 6502

EV0LUTION

4. Reventon macrumors 6502

As I said in the other thread, HPs. The Pavillion line to be precise. Not that reliable, or very powerful even when I got it. (Can't run Windows Movie maker, or NHL '06 a month after I bought the computer) and the fan is so loud it sounds like it's going to take off into flight.

5. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

I don't base it on what company, (it's not exactly hard to reinstall XP yourself...), but any product that has a MSI motherboard I steer well clear of, mine was my main reason for moving to macs, it would constantly cause BSODs 4 times a day, it became very hard to be productive... My dad got a MSI motherboard in a PC from PC World, it was fine for the first 6 months, then BSODs became infrequent, then frequent, then he replaced it with a Intel Motherboard, and all was well...

I'm pretty sure MSI make good motherboards, and mine and my dads problems are isolated, but it left a pretty sour taste in my mouth regarding MSI and PCs in general...

6. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

really the only way to go desktop wise

7. SkyBell thread starter macrumors 604

SkyBell

Whoops, forgot to post my own opinion.:p

Anything HP. I had a Pavillion for about 3 years before I got my Mac mini. Oh, it was horrible. Two motherboard replacements, countless re installs, video and audio problems, ugh... My parents used to be huge HP fans, until their last few had problems like mine did. Now they all have Dells, and I have one too. :D

8. SuperCompu2 macrumors 6502a

SuperCompu2

eMachines. They have an average lifespan of about 3 months from my experience (never owned, serviced many)

My HP has never given me too many problems, no more than any other PC Brand other than say IBM (Had a Thinkpad way back when, loved it).

All the random companies you've never heard of (Medion, Averatec, etc.) usually provide equally crappy computers, so I usually stick with the mainstream lines. Sony and Dell are notoriously bad for reformatting though, what a pain (I work in my school's IT department, we play the nose game for Dells and Vaios :))

9. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

10. timerollson macrumors 65816

This and Hewlett-Packard/Compaq/Gateway/Toshiba, etc.

The only laptops I'd consider would be IBM/Lenovo Thinkpads.

11. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

Any desktop. I can't be bothered with cables and "furniture issues".

12. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

An off the shelf one *hugs my do-it-yourself PC*

13. Davy.Shalom macrumors 6502

Davy.Shalom

Smart guy. IBM lenovo are amazing. Very good warranty, and built like tanks. Just a bit ugly, but they are getting better.

I personally HATE eMachines, Dell, and any other company that sells a Celeron in a notebook.

I personally have an HP compaq 1.6 core duo, and its an amazing computer. Granted, it does have integrated graphics, but I bought it for $170 off a friend and then upgraded it. Very reliable.

Dell-I service dells a lot. Usually B-130s.
    eMachines-I service the crappy motherboards they put in em.

14. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

I'd never buy a Compaq or Dell. :)

Nothing super fat.......oh wait I guess I'll have to go buy a MB

15. FadeToBlack macrumors 68000

FadeToBlack

I will most likely never buy anything that's not a Mac. Last "PC" I had was an Eee PC that ran Linux. I liked it, but I have to have OS X and it was really too small for me. Just bought a new White MacBook a few days ago and I'll hopefully have it for a long time. I'm VERY happy with it. :cool:

16. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

17. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

These days, I would avoid HP

In the mid-90s, IBM was the one to avoid but they eventually got their act together and produced better machines, and very good laptops.

In the late-90s, HP was pretty good and eMachines were terrible. But today, I think they are about equal. No PC out there is that bad as they have either gone out of business or greatly improved. Dell was on the rise and eventually they got their quality up.

Sony was great back then but others have caught up and today's Sonys seem overpriced. Dells, some models, are probably just as good.

As much as I hated Dell 15 years ago, more than any PC, they are probably the best value for the dollar in the PC world.

Today I would avoid HP due to the wild swing in prices, quality, and corporate leadership over the years. Other companies seem safer to buy from. I keep an eye on the company, too as that is one factor few look at. While Apple has always been good for me and never let me down, their products seemed best when Jobs ran the show. I trust his intentions more than Scully in the past, though Scully may have been the best person to take Apple big. HP, which is not merely big but huge, is now more of an arbitrage racket and I would trust Bernie Madoff more.

This is one reason I like Apple, that they have not become so big, like HP, that in bad times, companies like HP feel they have to buy out other companies, just to sell off the pieces to make a profit or seriously reduce the ink in their already overpriced cartridges. I didn't think I would see a more predatory company than Microsoft (in its Bill as CEO days), but HP has taken the cake.

18. nick9191 macrumors 68040

I'd probably buy a Dell business machine. The business machines are actually quite good, its the cheap consumer machines you need to avoid like the plague.

And you want to check the prices on those if you think Macs are expensive.

Other than that, I've had 2 Toshiba's, not had a problem with either.

19. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

What blew me away was I saw a Lenovo netbook, a pretty nice machine, but it was exactly the same machine as the Acer netbook, only a different color. I don't know who makes which one for who, but I suspect a lot of common parts, if not outright clones of each other, in the PC world.

20. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

MacBook Air. The specs on that thing are terrible and it isn't really any more portable than any other 13 inch notebook.

21. remmy macrumors 6502a

Dell - from personal experience of people who own and have to use these machines they are incredibly poor quality.

PC world, pretty poor customer service.

22. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

At this point and based on what I've done for the last 15 years before I moved to all Macs would be to build my own. I had the Compaqs, Dells, HPs ... and quite frankly none of them seemed to stand up to a home grown machine. However, if I had to buy something, I think I'd get a Sony. I would stay away from Compaq/HP these days.

23. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

To the folks that say they wouldn't buy Dell, remember that they have different lines consumers and business. The business lines cost more, but will be higher build quality and offer better support.

That said, there will still be issues -- I was setting up a Precision M6400 the other day (a beast!) and discovered the hard drive was failing, right out of the box.

If I were buying a PC today, I'd probably build one myself, or buy a Latitude laptop.

24. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Personally, the XPS M1330.

It was a disaster of Apple proportions.

25. thefnshow macrumors regular

definatly sony...i make my own...love gigabyte motherboards