If you had to choose between IGZO vs Discrete Graphics, what would you choose?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Starfyre, Oct 16, 2013.

?

What would you pick if you had to choose?

1. Current IPS Display + Integrated Only (No Discrete GFX)

2 vote(s)
    10.5%
  2. IGZO Display + Discrete Card

17 vote(s)
    89.5%
  1. Starfyre macrumors 68000

Starfyre

With the new Iris Pro chipset in the upcoming Retina Macbook Pros, a Class 2 graphics card that beats out its predecessor by a larger margin than most.. (previous cards were Class 3, low end). There is the slight possibility that Apple will not include a dGPU.

If you had to choose one combination or the other, what would you choose:

Current IPS Display + Integrated Iris Pro Only
    (No Discrete, Battery Savings coming from Integrated Graphics Only)

or

IGZO Display + Discrete Card
    (Battery savings coming from the higher resolution IGZO display)

2. puma1552 macrumors 601

3. OverpricedJunk macrumors newbie

I would choose the first option. The Iris Pro is plenty powerful for my needs.

edit: assuming the second option is much more expensive*****

4. Daniel L macrumors 6502

I would pick IGZO + integrated. I currently never have a need to use my dGPU on my rMBP and find that it just sits there wasting the battery and heating up my legs whenever I use iPhoto, Photoshop, Aperture, iMovie, and especially VLC. Setting GFXstatus to use integrated only makes the system unstable, forcing a restart with SMC reset for it to function normally.

5. OneCharmingQuar macrumors member

Why would integrated graphics give any major power savings? Couldn't you just switch off the dedicated graphics using Optimus? It seems to me that you would only gain some extra performance when pushing the integrated graphics at max, not any extra battery life. Battery life when pushing the integrated graphics fully isn't going to be very good anyway.

6. raptor402 macrumors 6502

Good point (though apple doesn't use NVidia Optimus; they have their own system powered by Intel).

However, battery on a maxed out Internal adapter will be much better when compared to the same on a maxed out Discrete one.

Regards
    Raptor

7. ValSalva macrumors 68040

ValSalva

I'd rather have IGZO especially if the native resolution of the display were higher. I'm pretty happy with the battery life on my 15" rMBP now. If Apple could make a new rMBP with a higher resolution display, with better graphics, and a faster processor and yet it got the same battery life as the current rMBP's I'd be thrilled.

8. zI INFINITY Iz macrumors regular

Indeed. First I thought the question was: "if you could pick either IGZO or a dGPU in the next 15" rMBP, which would you choose?". Now that would have been a pretty hard choice (but I'd probably prefer a dGPU in the end).

But this poll is very easy for me. Give me both IGZO and dGPU :D

9. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

If it's the same price, I'd choose #2. If #2 is significantly more expensive, then #1.

10. Wuiffi macrumors 6502a

Wuiffi

this!

11. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

Yet another poll I don't understand. What useful information can one glean from choosing crap over superior performance? :confused: