Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ap3604

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 11, 2011
Just wonder what you guys would do if you had to choose a different phone (other than the iPhone) to use.

Of course I mean a current phone as of today. If your in the U.S. then obviously not a Galaxy S II or any other random future phone ;)

So... what would it be? :)

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
The Motorola Triumph. It's not out yet, but will be soon.
Honestly, I think the iPhone is one of the better phones out there and that's why I'm paying for it with AT&T. It's worth having. If I couldn't have an iPhone, then there isn't much point paying the same price bill for something I don't like as much.

With the Motorola Triumph (Virgin Mobile), unlimited data, text, and 300 minutes for $25 a month is an awesome deal. Plus, you can install something from the Android marketplace to allow for free tethering. Virgin Mobile runs on Sprint's network so it's mediocre. Good enough for my needs at least. It even has the similar specs to the HTC Thunderbolt (snapdragon, etc).

IMG_00211-659x1024.jpg

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Probably a Palm/HP phone because of the OS.

I've never used any of those other phones, though, so I couldn't say for sure. But you're asking and that's where I'd start looking.

If that didn't end up being as good as I thought it was then I'd probably look at Windows phones next.

flipster

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2010
Boston
The HTC Thunderbolt. But.... I really like my iPhone :cool:

I've always wanted a Blackberry, but I know I'll get bored of it lol

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
Well, since the pre3 isn't out yet, I guess I would have to go with the Dell venue pro. Really enjoyed the short time I was with a windows 7 phone, while not as good as iOS or webos, it's still much better than android. Never getting another android handset again.

macingman

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2011
Nexus S, the best Android out in Australia in my opinion (we have crap android selection in Australia unless you want to use the carrier which charges 3 times more than the others).

sk1wbw

Suspended
May 28, 2011
Williamsburg, Virginia
Probably a Palm/HP phone because of the OS.

I've never used any of those other phones, though, so I couldn't say for sure. But you're asking and that's where I'd start looking.

If that didn't end up being as good as I thought it was then I'd probably look at Windows phones next.

I had a Samsung Focus for two months. It was horrible. WP7, however nice, is worthless without good apps. And the app store for WP7 sucks big time.

I'd probably choose a Palm Pre 3.

Panch0

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2010
Virginia
Maybe a WebOS device - whatever version of the Pre is out now. But probably a nice small feature phone. Since getting an iPad, I am finding that my iPhone is mostly being used as a phone.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
Currently out now? Probably an older phone from late-2009 because of its versatility. Saves me money experimenting with different OSes.

#1) HTC HD2
517B725DNzL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Pros - Most versatile cell phone ever made. Only $299 or less at Amazon.
Cons - Much older hardware from late-2009. Battery life can be bad.

Followed by the "PlayStation phone"

#2) Sony Ericsson Xperia Play (GSM unlocked version)
sony-ericsson-xperia-play.jpg

Pros - Retro gamer's dream come true. Unique form factor. Solid battery life.
Cons - Dim screen. Chunky. Very mediocre specs for an Android phone.

Future releases

HP Pre 3

hp_pre3_release_date.png

And arguably the most beautiful phone ever made from SE...

Xperia ray - design and inspiration
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykjrD_8anyw

From my preference of OSes (that is non-iOS)
1. webOS
2. WP7
3. Android

From preference of hardware and future software support
1. Android (most quantity of apps other than iOS)
2. WP7 (more hardware restrictions which promotes quality apps)
3. webOS (niche-audience)

By 2014, volume sales will really be between Android vs WP7. I really like the Nokia N9, but unfortunately MeeGo is DOA. My favorite OS is actually the one RIM featured in the BlackBerry Playbook which is QNX. But since that is tablet-only so far like Android's Honeycomb, I didn't consider it yet. Among WP7 phones, I like the Samsung Focus or looking into the future with Nokia's first WP7 phone codenamed "Sea Ray" which looks like the N9. But now the older HTC HD2 (6.5 WinMo) can take care of me with any WP7 envy.

Tough to live without an iPhone. It basically excels in everything from OS polish, hardware design, and ecosystem. Even has a very good camera and battery life! Ties all the loose ends of its competitor's glaring weaknesses. That's why even if I leave iPhone for something else by next year, I probably will still have use my iPhone 4 as an iPod touch. It manages my media content so well. I invested too much on apps and already accustomed to the ecosystem that I could never really leave the iOS ecosystem even if I wanted to.

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
The problem is that if the iphone had never come out, all these google phones would look like BB copies.
I was looking at a BB before the iphone came out. I couldn't fathom paying money for the internet service, because I didn't see any value in it.

To answer the question, I want the following in my phone: camera, screen<4 in, video recording, virtual keyboard, good internet browsing, unlockable, not too big and, most importantly, on AT&T.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.