If you had to kill someone in self-defense, would you do it?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by 66217, Jul 23, 2008.

?

Would you do it?

1. Yes.

62 vote(s)
    78.5%
  2. No.

2 vote(s)
    2.5%
  3. I've never thought about it, but I think I would do it.

11 vote(s)
    13.9%
  4. I've never thought about it, but I think I wouldn't do it.

4 vote(s)
    5.1%
  1. 66217 Guest

I had thought about this question several times, and yesterday it really started to become clear what I would do: if necessary, I think I wouldn't think twice.

Some guys tried to rob a personal business yesterday, so after going there and seeing they hadn't been able to enter the place, we hired a security person to stay during the night just to make sure nothing happened. To make things short, 1 our after I leaved some guys came and injured badly the security person and threatened him also badly.

This leaves me with one curiosity, what would you guys do if some ass**** came with a gun and threatened you? If you had the opportunity, would you do it?

I am talking about your life being in real risk.

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

If they come at you with a weapon, stop them.

Make sure they cannot get up and attack you again while you call the police, which is why they say shoot to kill, and if they are stupid enough to give up their bat/pipe to you bust a knee or ankle.

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

If necessary, yes... to protect myself or my loved ones... yes

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

4. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

I've had to defend myself against two knife attacks. One time I disarmed him and it did no damage and the second time the attacker got sliced pretty bad.

So if it's you or them, then it's them. I'd do everything I could to avoid it though. If they ask for your money, give them your money. If you can run away, then run away.

Do what you've got to do and no more.

5. BlakTornado Guest

BlakTornado

Honestly I haven't thought about it and I really I hope I never will.

But, I don't think I would be able to kill someone in self-defense. I'm a natural defeatist. I would probably comply and let them walk all over me. Better to lose everything I've ever worked for than to be killed by some idiot.

6. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

Can't really answer this. I'd prefer not to kill anyone. I would imagine that if I did kill anyone in a situation in which I was defending myself, it wouldn't be self-defense since, to me, self-defense implies a certain presence of mind that I doubt I would have deal a fatal blow/shot.

7. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Pocket Universe, nth Dimensional Complex Manifold
    Personally, I think that's an easy question. The harder question will simply be... At what point should you decide that your life is in danger, and that you can now use lethal force? I would not KILL someone to protect myself from embarassment or simply being hurt. However, following a series of warnings and explorations of all alternatives, if someone is threatening my life, I would have absolutely no compunction about utilizing every option available to me.

There are fools and victims alike that have overcompensated when faced with a threat, using lethal force in an otherwise mediocre crisis. I can only hope I NEVER fall victim to that level of bad judgment. Not enough people appreciate the power of choice in this world and how poorly dignity and respect compare against the cost of a human life.

~ CB

8. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Absolutely, without a doubt or hesitation. In my line of work, it may be a very real possibility (although it hasn't happened yet) and the split-second you take to second-guess yourself may cost you your life.

9. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

To defend myself, probably, to defend my family, most definitely.

10. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

exactly. i've been robbed while at the workplace and i've been mugged. you do what you have to do to survive. give them what they want and go along and call the cops later. if they're physically attacking you - retaliate and hope for the best really.

11. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

I already have done so. I am a combat veteran. I do not feel joy, or remorse for what I did. Had I not done it, I would not be writing this here today. This happened when I was 19, 20 & 21 years of age. Life is a little more 'cut and dried' then. It is only in middle age, when you begin to question what kind of person you really are. I suppose there is some comfort in knowing you cannot undue the past. Yet, I have a fantasy of me returning to Vietnam, finding the sites of my firefights, and yelling, "I am sorry!"

12. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

+1

if anyone I really cared about was in real danger and I could do ANYthing to stop it, I wouldn't hesitate...

13. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

Same! I'd have no problem taking a life if I or a loved one was under attack.

14. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Same here.

15. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

Yes, no hesitation to protect myself and those I care about.

if lethal force is required to stop someone , then that is what is required.
    and yes there are times when just hurting them and running is not an option.

16. 66217 thread starter Guest

I agree. Thankfully I've never been in a situation like that myself. But I would like to plan ahead what I would do in certain situations, because when they do present, you don't have time to think and make decisions. For me, any situation were someone is threatening me with a gun or something that could potentially kill me would make me take this decision.

This is other thing I think about: Would I have the guts to pull the trigger? I guess adrenaline do helps here, since you basically are acting by instinct in this situations, but fear would definitely play a big role in the situation.

Also, I'm not sure how would I deal afterwards. I would obviously be grateful that I saved myself or someone else, but it must be still hard to remember you killed someone for the rest of your life.

17. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

I'd just challenge them to a game of Pokemon cards.

18. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

I guess it really depends on the nature of assailants!

19. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Harder than watching someone die knowing you let it happen or were powerless to stop it from happening? I'm not a violent individual but I have no qualms about defending myself, or others, from an attacker.

Lethal

20. spork183 macrumors 6502a

spork183

It is interesting to me that my knee jerk reaction is, "yeah, I'd pull the trigger in an instant if my family was at stake." Yet, if you ask me about the death penalty, I don't believe in it. There are to many minority groups disproportionately represented on death row in the US for me to blindly support the justice dispensed by our justice system.

So at what point do I get off thinking I could be judge, jury and executioner? Guess it is the heat of the moment thing.

21. Kashchei macrumors 65816

Kashchei

I don't think anyone can say how they would react until actually faced with the situation. For example, I am the most mild-mannered person you will meet, yet when I was robbed at gunpoint, I never thought twice and kicked the guy in the nuts (lucky for me, he ran rather than shoot). I never would have expected this reaction from me, and so I can't really say if I would kill in self-defense.

22. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I expect I'll find out if the situation arises.

23. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I don't really see how this is even a question. Unless you're prepared to sacrifice your own life for that of the piece of **** attacking you, of course you will do all you can and need to in order to protect yourself. If that means they die, so be it.

24. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I dunno, maybe when the situation boils down to fight for your life or die?:p

Those situations are not really comparable at all, IMO. Defending yourself against an immediate danger isn't quite the same thing as debating what is a fitting punishment for a convicted criminal and the short comings of our legal and educational systems.

Lethal

25. jamesi macrumors 6502a

jamesi

funny how this thread would come up. this happened to me recently. im not one for telling stories, esp ones that hit hard at home. so lets just say i was recently "approached with aggression by said unnamed individual". all of a sudden i noticed i was poped twice in the face, blood dripping down from my nose. im not a small guy, 6' 2" and built, so i grapped the guy by the neck, and threw him down and all of a sudden i noticed my knee on his neck and my fist raised upright ready to smash his face against the pavement. but i couldnt swing, the guy had swung at me outa no where and i didnt even know who he was. i knew he was drinking and for some reason i just couldnt return the favor he had so easily given me. i knew if i swung i would just end up killing him. i dont fight but when i do its life or death. i knew i woulda ended up hurting him more than he could ever hurt me. i hope im not playing weak, i just need beef before i hurt someone. i didnt want to feel like him so i ended up getting up and walking away.