If you have a 1st gen iPhone and got a 3G from AT&T...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Knolly, Jul 19, 2008.

1. Knolly macrumors 6502a

If you were a first gen iPhone holder and upgraded to 3G here in the US... What was your experience in the store like? I ask because I'm wondering whether or not you needed to bring your phone with you.

I plan on getting the 3G but would like to save the $200 if I could, so I was wondering if I could borrow someone's iPhone, change my account to an iPhone account, then give them back the iPhone, or whether I'd have to bring it with me.

My thanks to anyone that can help!

2. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

You do not need to bring your old iPhone with you. You get a new SIM. They can see all the details on your account page.

3. diabolic macrumors 68000

If you change your current AT&T account to use a 2G iPhone, you won't immediately qualify for the upgrade price. There was a cutoff date for the upgrade. I don't remember what it was, but if someone recently activated a 2G iPhone, they didn't qualify for it.

EDIT: I'm not 100% sure about this, but I do remember reading it somewhere. I'm looking around to see if I can find it again.

4. Knolly thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ah, snap, thanks

Hm, you snooze you lose I guess.

5. gentlegiantcrai macrumors regular

They did ask if I had my phone with me, and they took out the Sim from my phone.

6. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

They didn't take the sim out of my old phone. I ended up giving it to my wife, and I had to take my old sim out, and put hers in my old phone...

7. mwahlman macrumors newbie

Can we get confirmation if this loophole still works to get the regular price for 3g? (via 1g activation on your account)

I am planning on buying a 1g for $210 and seeing if that allows me to become upgrade eligable for the 3g for 199/299...

I want the iphone now, but I am unwilling to pay the 399 base as an existing customer...

I figure this way I get an iphone now. If I become upgrade eligable after the activation then I either will have a spare iphone 1g out of the process or can resell it afterwards...

To hell with that 200 screw existing customers "service fee"