If you have a 2006-07 mini running Lion, don't upgrade to 10.7.5

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by magbarn, Sep 22, 2012.

1. magbarn macrumors 68000

Bricked my 2 mini's this morning after upgrading! Now I'm going to have reinstall osx. arghh!

2. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

Test such updates on small HDDs/SSDs (32 GB, 64 GB, 128 GB) before you use the updates on your other HDDs/SSDs!

3. flatfoot macrumors 65816

Clone your boot drive before upgrading.

4. Omnius macrumors 6502a

I have a 2007 (2,1) mac mini. It has been 10.7.5 for a while. It's running fine.

5. jdreier macrumors member

Did you go in and delete the plist file? I know when I upgrade my 06 mac mini ( with an upgraded cpu to a c2d) I have to go in and boot the mini in target mode, then delete the plist file and everything goes back to normal.

6. Omnius macrumors 6502a

nope. Nothing. Perhaps this is limited to the core duo and core solo mac minis as opposed to actual core 2 duo machines?

7. macuser2134, Sep 29, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2012

macuser2134 macrumors member

Can the thread starter please post some more information here? Ie the exact spec of the machines and whether they were Core 1 Duo or Core 2 Duo, the graphics, and what actually happened on the screen?

Did you try to fix the system drive's PlatformSupport.plist file (by booting into a shell from the OS DVD) after applying the update? Because these OSX updates aught to be inevitably overwriting that 1 hacked file to add the new logic board id's for newly-released Apple products. The system might look bricked at first. But re-inserting the missing LBIDs into that file aught to have solved the problem.

I am very concerned about this report. Especially when there are so few other people running Lion on this older hardware anymore. I have not updated yet. Yet when we know so little, it's rather hard to tell if the problem encountered here is substantial enough to be legitimately concerned about.

8. Omnius macrumors 6502a

my 2007 core 2 duo 2,1 mini is running fine. I'm not sure what is wrong with yours.

9. dtravis7 macrumors newbie

10.7.5 on old Mini

I am a bit late but decided to post this just in case. I have a original Core Duo Mini that i upgraded to a C2D. 10.7.5 works great on it. Only thing I had to do it boot into my small Snow Leopard partition and again zap that plist file, and it boots right up.

10. jdryyz macrumors regular

jdryyz

How well does Lion run on these old minis? Are you just in it for the software compatibility benefits or are there any performance gains over Snow Leopard?