If you have an 16 month old iphone, Apple will turn their back on you.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tcphoto, Mar 9, 2011.

1. tcphoto macrumors 6502a

tcphoto

Today, I started a thread on the Apple discussion boards commenting on the lack of support for the 3G which I bought 16 months ago for their OS4.3. Shortly afterward, I received an email that told me that my "comment/rant" had been deleted. So, I simply posted a comment that questioned Apples real commitment to supporting a phone that was replaced shortly my warranty had expired. When I later checked that thread I noticed that the entire thread had been deleted. I realize that it's their bandwidth but that some pretty heavy censorship. I have only owned Apple computers and it's been 17 years since I purchased my first, the 7500 Power Mac desktop. So, I think that I've demonstrated my support for Apple over the years but I'm starting to sour on their way of doing things.

2. c.greene914 macrumors regular

c.greene914

So you bought a 3G iPhone, likely at half price, knowing it was already an outdated model, and are now surprised that with 2 newer generations (and a 3rd just months away) that the latest iOS update won't work with it? Seems silly to me.

Does anyone remember how long it took before iOS updates weren't compatible with the OG iPhone?

3. 184550 Guest

TBH, it's not Apples fault you bought a phone in December of 2009 that had been released 18 months prior in June 2008. The software updates Apple makes to its products sometimes simply don't allow for the support of dated hardware. Chances are if you read MacRumors, you know that technology changes rather quickly.

IMO the expectation that hardware 2.5 years old should run software released today is rather foolish.

If you wanted a better chance of being able to run new software updates, you should have bought an iPhone 3GS, which had been released six months earlier, or have waited for the iPhone 4, which was released six month later.

Also, it's extremely unlikely that the moderators of Apples online forums have a list of every Apple product you've ever owned, don't take it so personally.

4. Givmeabrek, Mar 9, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2011

Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

That's pretty typical of the Apple boards. They are controlled pretty tightly.

However just because the firmware is no longer updated doesn't mean that you are not getting support. You can still get repairs, replacements, phone support etc. Nothing really to complain about......

5. MACis122 macrumors regular

6. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

Wait a minute, you knew about iOS 4.3 sixteen months ago?

Has your 3G suddenly stopped working? Are the features that you had when you bought it and the subsequent updates from 2.0 to 4.2.1 stopped working?

Were you promised iOS 4.3 when you bought your phone?

Apple have supported the 3G for three years, no other tech manufacturer does this, none.

Either enjoy your 3G as you have been up till now or upgrade.

7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. Sorry OP, but you have very unrealistic expectations. Do you think almost 3 year old phones running Windows, Blackberry, Android OS, etc. will get official updates?

8. Applejuiced, Mar 9, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2011

Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Agree, like the rest said above.
    Its not like your device stopped working all of a sudden.
    You're just not getting any more firmware updates that's all.
    And with the old and outdated hardware on the iphone 3G why would you want to?
    Instead of trying to go up you should downgrade back to 3.1.3 so your phone dont lag and run like a turtle.
    BTW, most cellphone companies out there wont even put out one update for their devices and to update the firmware you have to get a new phone.
    Since the July of 2008 Apple has put out dozens of firmware updates for the iphone 3G.
    Something you will not see from any cellphone manufacturer out there.
    And the same last year with the iphone 2G dropping support past 3.1.3 They just wont keep updating them forever.

9. LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

Be glad you learned about the fast pace of obsolescence with a nice cheap cell phone.

But seriously, it sucks, but you bought an "older" device. It happens. Lesson learned for next time.

10. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

cool. switch to another platform where the next OS update won't even be supported.

however, i still don't know what's worse... Apple not releasing an update to a phone almost 3 years old and seeing people bitch and cry, or Apple releasing an update, causing the phone to slow down for obvious reasons and people bitch and cry.

either way, it's a lose/lose situation for Apple. i wish people had some common sense, but that's like asking for world peace.

and i think the 3G had a good run and doesn't need anymore updates. it's just going to impede the progress of iOS.

11. sentinelsx macrumors 68010

I know people won't like this, but 3G was a perfectly good and viable phone until 3.1.3. It was fast, stable, many apps still work great on it (infact many are still working for OS 3.0 and up). Worked as fluid as an iPhone 4 back then. Updated it to 4.0 and bam! big difference.

IMO Apple is just a little better than the "copycats" when it comes to support. A perfectly viable and good phone can use personal hotspot or some browser speed improvements, and even multitasking (backgrounder worked great on 3.1.3). Personally, I found it was better than the Nexus One when the N1 came out performance wise even though people compared the 3GS to N1. The phone with right firmware could still destroy anything with ease.

Apple just didn't want to release specific updates to keep it at version 3 and phased it out. Maybe some people love to update yearly but if your phone is perfectly capable its just corporate trickery to make you update. People will say that is how it works and I agree, but then it completely voids their support argument against the competitors. If you need some minor update that will make your life better you gotta upgrade to a new phone. How is this different from a competitor beats me.

12. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Well I was perfectly happy with my 1st gen iPhone till the iPhone 4 came out... and decided it was worth the upgrade...

Ask my better half about upgrades that had been offered on their 6yo cellphone (none). I explained the whole 3GS vs iPhone 4 upgrade path to them... they seem to be happy with what the next two years will give them...

13. lsvtecjohn3 macrumors 6502a

Like other have said the 3G is almost three years and you bought it mid cycle theres a reason why Apple didn't put 4.3 on the on the 3G. I bet it would have cause even worsen performance issues. Next time get the up to date iPhone and you'll be ok

14. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

Boohoo did you come here expecting sympathy? The 3G is a 3 year old phone!!

15. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

I still have my iPhone 3G from when i got it on the first day. It's going to be nearly 3 years of having the iPhone 3G, and overall i'm very happy with it, except these last few months after i upgraded to iOS 4..
    anyway after jailbreaking it my iPhone 3G is usable, but it will find a different use once i get the iPhone 5.
    I don't think i'll be upgrading until the iPhone 8 next! (unless OS starts to lag)

16. bwrairen macrumors 6502

+1. You knew the phone was close to outdated when you bought it.

17. tibi08 macrumors 6502a

tibi08

You need to learn that when you buy something, there is no guarantee regarding future updates or feature enhancements. You should expect it to continue operating exactly as it did when you bought it - which it does.

18. torbjoern macrumors 65816

torbjoern

Frankly, I do expect my wife's 2.5 y.o. MB-alu to support OSX 10.7 Lion. I will take a giant $#!7 on :apple: if it doesn't.

19. yegon, Mar 10, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2011

yegon macrumors 68020

What on earth were you expecting?

An iPhones arc goes like this;

1st year, top of the foodchain, the flagship, the benchmark, runs everything.

2nd year, still a decent phone, still runs practically everything, still gets significant updates, doesn't get every new software feature (often hardware related, sometimes petty Apple).

3rd year, red headed step child. It's a phone, it works, but you're way behind the curve though so don't expect new bells & whistles.

Nothing wrong with this imo, show me another phone that is still relevant at the 18 month - 2 year mark.

It's for this reason I upgrade every other cycle. Started with a launch 3G, got a launch 4, and I'll be more than happy with it till mid 2012 when the 6 arrives.

And, of course, being on contract, the sale of my IV in 2012 will pay for the VI :).

20. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

I've got a 3GS that I bought 2 months before the 4 came out. Now, 4.3 will be the last OS it will support. Do I fell burnt? No. That's the way technology works. Do I expect Apple to cripple it's OS from now on just so it will continue to run well on older phones? That would be silly.

Your options are the same as everyone else's: Upgrade or lump it.

21. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Apple gives support worth the 2 yr contract lifespan tied to the device. After that, you upgrade or risk becoming a second class citizen. Nothing new here.

22. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Just like I expect my 3+ year old iMac, but we're talking about phones not computers.

23. EvilEvil macrumors 6502

EvilEvil

General rule everyone should follow: only buy even numbered revisions of Apple products.

24. alent1234 macrumors 603

you bought an iphone 3G a few months from the release of the iphone 4?

Wow, just wow

25. JD914 macrumors 6502a

JD914

Just upgrade and be done with it.....sheesh! :rolleyes: