If you have gone from matte to the new glossy MBP, I want your feedback...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ckeck, Oct 21, 2008.

1. ckeck macrumors 6502a

ckeck

I have had a brand new MBP sitting in my office for the past 3 days now and cannot decide whether or not I want to open it. I have a buyer lined up for my existing MBP and really want the new graphics card in the new machine, but I am really concerned about the switch to glossy.

I am not happy about it, as many others...but from people who have made the switch, is it really THAT bad? I know its something I'd have to get used to, just trying to minimize the chances of opening it and hating it, then not being able to return it because I sold my other machine, or getting stuck with a restocking fee :(

Thoughts?

2. bcaslis macrumors 68020

Have you seen one in person? If so, then I think that will make up your mind for you. Some people seem to vehemently against glossy. I've owned mostly matte screens, but I don't have a huge personal preference for one or the other. The reflections some seem to scream about don't bother me at all and are only visible sometimes. Personally, I find the milky white glare you get on a matte screen very bothersome.

So I went from a 17" matte to the new 15" glossy. Had it for 5 days now and love it. Someone else though would probably hate it. If you've seen one in a store and liked it open the box. If you haven't seen one, have you see other glossy screens? Have you see the recent iMacs? If you did and liked the screen then you will like this. If you hate the new iMac screens then you probably won't be happy with the new MBP.

3. tcphoto macrumors 6502a

tcphoto

I'll admit that after fourteen years of matte displays I have mixed feelings. The new glossy MBP is beautiful but it is certainly different. Apple seems to be going all glossy, so I'll learn to live with it. I am a photographer and have edited a few images with success and I reworked my website using it. I would suggest going into a store and playing with one, if you think that you can work with it sell your previous version. If not, return the new one for a full refund if the seal is not broken.

4. nzmc36 macrumors member

Yes... no... maybe...

Yes, I think you should be concerned, but it depends a lot on your usage. I have several of the Mac line-up a 2 iMac's, Cinema displays and MBP's with a variety of different screens (glossy v matt). I had decided to go with the glossy screen on the iMac 24" and was a little worried because the screen on the iMac and the Cinema display would reflect through a bright window. After much a-do, the new machine arrived and it just KILLED my eyes. I think I might have sensitive eye's... I don't know, but I do a lot of editing (all day on a computer, often in excess of 12 hours), and for two weeks I had blood shot eyes. I was about to send it back and my eyes seemed to adjust, and it's okay now. Having said that, I now make the font at 175 -200% so I'm not straining so much... if I have to read small print for any extended time... it actually physically hurts. By contrast the matt cinema display is absolutely fine.

I have ordered a MBP with the (obviously) glossy screen, but it's mainly for travel and work at home, so I don't think it will be a problem at all.

Hope that helps...

5. nope7308 macrumors 65816

nope7308

Like yourself, I was absolutely petrified of glass/glossy displays. I think most of the anxiety comes from fear of the unknown. That is, when you walk by someone using a glass/glossy screen, you can't help but notice the countless reflections. That said, working on a glass/glossy display is a different story altogether. When you're facing the machine and concentrating on your text/picture, the reflections magically disappear. Perhaps more importantly, the new MBP screen is so vibrant and bright that it really drowns out most reflection under normal viewing conditions.

Although I also suggest that you visit the Apple store, make sure to take that experience with a grain of salt. The Apple store is notoriously bright and will probably cause more reflections than you would experience in ordinary use.

I really think this glossy display has been blown out of proportion. I'm actually a convert now - I prefer a glossy display. I'm also of the opinion that even the most finicky Apple users, if doing REAL work, will fail to notice any reflections at all... don't believe me? Look up "change blindness" and "inattentional blindness" - it's amazing how poor our vision really is haha.

6. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

It didn't seem as bad as monitors I have had before (someone bought a new MacBook and brought it in today), but it isn't without glare. The main deterrent is you sit closer to a notebook screen, so your body blocks a lot of the light.

I would suggest checking them out in person and then deciding yourself. Power Support sells anti-glare screen covers (film ones like for the iPhone), so that's an option. Whenever I get a glossy one, I WILL get one of those protectors because they work so well on reducing iPhone glare.

The case itself feels like a rock compared to my MBP. It's not as flimsy and therefore feels sturdier. The new keyboard doesn't look bad at all and even has some useful new shortcuts (expose). I was able to use the trackpad without much difficulty. It clicked fine, but I didn't try to cut & paste anything.

7. nzmc36 macrumors member

Well, I liked the first part your note, it certainly makes sense to visit a store and see what looks like first hand... but that later bit about 'real' work was either 'stirring' or just short sighted (no pun there). You are right that the reflection is not that bad when really focusing on work (or what ever), but the glare can lead to eye strain and eventually be very damaging to eyes. I would say that folks not using the computer intensively wouldn't have to worry too much about that, but.. if like me and do actually work in front of a monitor for long periods of time, then consider your choice carefully.

I guess I would also have to agree that over time, most folks will get used to the new screen and be okay with it. I for one, will be keeping my matt cinema display hooked up as a second monitor for the days I need to do intensive, non-stop editing/writing.

8. sinser macrumors 6502a

sinser

I have programmed a lot on my matte Powerbook and I personally know for sure (becuase I have tried it) that looking and writing source code on a glossy display is a bloody nightmare.

9. hotsauce macrumors 6502a

I'll have to admit, out of the box, the colors are better on the new glossy. A bit more vibrant, images seem to jump off the screen more. The only difference I've noticed is that I have to be a bit more selective where I sit to avoid the glare.

10. nzmc36 macrumors member

I totally agree, staring intensely at that glossy display is going to murder your eyes.... though I still brought the new MBP... but it's not for intensive apps.

11. wesd macrumors newbie

I have two laptops (not Apple) and one is matte and the other is glossy.

Glossy
    PRO - The image is very bright and seems much more vivid than matte
    PRO - The screen just looks plain nice
    CON - Impossible to use outdoors in bright light
    CON - Difficult to use in some office environments due to inability to control lighting

It's true that in hard concentration, the reflections disappear. However, the eye strain does not go away.

Matte
    PRO - No reflections
    PRO - ability to use outdoors and in any condition
    CON - colors not as bright

I just went to the Apple store to compare matte/glossy on the MBP 17. I decided that I would NEVER by another glossy after seeing them. Side by side there was no comparison IMO. Matte wins head down if you want to do more than sit in a dark room and watch movies with your lappy.

12. nope7308 macrumors 65816

nope7308

Meh, I'm on the fence about that one. I've had both matte and glossy displays and I've stared at both for extended periods of time. I find the glossy only makes a (negative) difference when you crank up the brightness to drown out any/all surrounding light. Personally, I think you can grow accustomed to it in about a week or two (I did).

That said, no one should be starring a computer screen long enough to severely strain their eyes in the first place. Then again, what choice do we have? :rolleyes:

13. sk47 macrumors member

Visually, definitely a better experience with a screen that just POPS right out at you.

Yes there can be glares/reflections, but I'd rather this than my old matte screen that would produce this blurred white patch on the screen whenever there is a source of strong light that you can't avoid regardless of which angle you turn the notebook. With the glossy, however, you CAN turn the notebook to your advantage, angling it so that you minimize the reflection.

14. keyoh macrumors newbie

So I bought my first macbook pro and was pretty pissed about the glossy only option. I went ahead and got it anyway though and I have to say it really depends on how you are using it. During the day the reflections are there but you can angle your screen and forget about it. During the evening there is absolutely no glare and the screen looks awesome. So to me it depends on where/when you are using it.

15. Namnorkimo macrumors member

I switches in 2006 from my PowerBook G4 Titanium (matte display) to the white MacBook (glossy display) and I am really happy with it.

16. nzmc36 macrumors member

Yep.. I wrecked my eye's writing up my thesis. I had to finish in 2 months... or the new job was gone, so I had to go a bit nuts. I wasn't really paying attention to my eyes at the time, just later needed glasses... lesson learnt the hard way.

17. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

Had matte before and liked it. Then bought a MB / MBA and got kind of used to gloss. Just bought a new MB and the gloss is way glossier than any of my other gloss experiences. Not the happiest with it but it'll do. I just do a little more angle adjusting than before to minimize the reflections. Of course given an option, I'd have matte.

18. coogee macrumors regular

I only have (and have had) Matte Screens. All I can add is that I can't really use my MBP Matte outside on a bright, sunny day either
    These are days I try and leave the Laptop at home! :cool::)

19. phiberglass macrumors 6502a

phiberglass

I've always used a matte screen and just got a MBP. I love it. I was nervous about the glassy screen but it's much better than I expected. Don't even notice the reflections at all. Screen is very vivid as well!

20. ckeck thread starter macrumors 6502a

ckeck

Thanks everyone -- I think I'm going to go ahead and give it a shot. I'll report back with my own feedback within a couple of days. Very helpful responses, thanks again for the input.

21. 7even macrumors 6502a

I've always worked with matte screens and every laptop I've owned before has had a matte screen, but my new MBP isn't bothering me much right now. I was hesitant about it, just like you. However, after using it for a bit at the Apple store, I decided to try it out. I need a few more days to fully decide, but like someone said above, you tend to forget the reflections if you're concentrating on something. I think you should give it a shot. The rest of the machine will at least make up for the occasional glare :D

22. phiberglass macrumors 6502a

phiberglass

+1 this machine is great. I'm actually enjoying the glossy screen. Clarity is much better than my matte screen.

23. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

though i dont own one, i was able to look at the new display at work.

i could live with it.

24. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

I've always had matte myself and would have ordered it again if that was available...still I'm plunging into the glossy world because there's very little choice and will try to make do. One thing one poster here said in another thread is he took his new MBP outside and was shocked at how WELL it did in the daylight. Perhaps people saying its useless outdoors haven't tried the NEW screen and are basing it on the old type of glossy screens. Could it be the glass somehow helps outdoors? Sounds to me like the majority of glossy complaints are coming from people who haven't really used them. Myself, I'll just have to wait until it arrives.

Good thread on the pros & cons.

25. pimentoLoaf macrumors 68000

pimentoLoaf

Not bad at all. Once the screen illuminates, whatever glare there is disappears. Just make sure you locate your notebook without a glare-inducing object at right-angles to it's use -- like a large floor-to-ceiling window or a bright lamp.

For the record, I went from a 17" powerBook 2003 to a 15" MBPro late-2008.