All iPads If you knew iPhone 6 would have a 5in+ display, would you still consider iPad Mini?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by catalyst6, Oct 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. catalyst6 macrumors 6502a

catalyst6

This is purely a thought exercise as I consider purchasing either the iPad Air or iPad Mini.

I feel like there is a strong chance we will see a larger iPhone by next fall. As we move into 5 inch+ territory on mobile phones, I feel like having an iPad mini will become a bit redundant. I may not be thinking about this correctly, not having spent a significant amount of time with the Mini, but I feel like we would start to see an area where the usage for the devices start to seriously overlap. This seems to make a strong case for the full-size iPad still being a relevant product.

I realize (if this actually happens) it's still a year off. Maybe someone that owns a larger non-iPhone and a mini can comment.

2. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

A 6 inch iphone could boost full size ipad sales and hurt mini sales. OTOH, the line of demarcation is pocketability. If the iphone 6 still fits in a pocket, the mini could be viewed as large enough to be different enough to warrant owning both.

3. nostresshere macrumors 68030

If they come out with a 5: iphone, I will not be buying it. I think many folks here would be surprised how many would NOT be jumping on the larger iphone. Many will, for sure. But not everybody.

Different strokes for different folks.

Different uses.

Different.

4. keatth macrumors 6502

isnt it a given the iphone will be 5 inches? That's why they installed the swipe feature in ios7 so we get used to not using the top corner, right now its still an option but it wont be in ios 8.

5. rui no onna macrumors 603

rui no onna

This exactly. I've used 5" devices at 16:10 and 16:9 and they're still not comfortable for web browsing. Neither is the 7" Nexus 7. The 4:3 aspect ratio on the iPad makes it quite ideal for almost everything aside from widescreen video playback. I don't really see Apple moving to 4:3 on the iPhone as that would likely affect pocketability.

6. Infinitewisdom macrumors 6502a

Why? Seems perfectly reasonable. A 5" screen destroys one handed usability for most people. I wouldn't buy a 5" phone either. 4.5"? Perhaps. But not 5".

7. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Dead serious.

Why do people think a LARGER phone is a must?

8. x-evil-x macrumors 68040

x-evil-x

thats why they will offer a same chip smaller 4" phone while offering a larger phone. I don't think they will drop the 4" phone honestly.

9. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

To me it kind of depends if a phablet iPhone would run iPhone apps or iPad apps. iPad apps, then no question Id ditch the mini, iPhone apps only, I may still keep the mini. It really depends though

10. nixiemaiden macrumors 6502a

Personally, I would be upset if Apple released a handset with a bigger screen unless they still offered the smaller size as well. It is so annoying to me that in order to get a good experience, you pretty much have to go with a flagship device (just based off of my experience with cheaper handsets) and all of the flagship devices are ginormous. I want something that fits in my pocket.

11. TC03 macrumors 65816

Given the fact that the iPad Mini retina and iPad Air are equal specs wise, I think we can be pretty sure that if Apple were to introduce an iPhone with a larger screen, it would just be the same phone in two different sizes, with equal specs when possible.

12. borgqueenx macrumors 65816

exept for everyone who will be buying it. you cant resist once you've seen the presentation. you know it.

13. satchmo macrumors 68000

Let me play devil's advocate to those who dismiss a larger sized iPhone.

If the product cylcle of the iPhone changes significantly every two years, what will Apple do to differentiate the '5 series' from the '6'?

Transparant design?Bevel-less and flexible screens? I don't think we're there yet.

Frankly, I could do with or without a larger iPhone. But given it's probably the most requested feature (sound familiar?), I think Apple will give in. And Cook has even alluded to being open to larger form factors. As others have suggested, 4.5-4.8" would be a reasonable size.

And to answer the OP's question, for anything less than 5", I would still consider an iPad mini.

14. bkribbs macrumors 65816

I wouldn't want a phone bigger than my 5s. Already it's at it's max to hold and use with one hand.

Larger than that I just want an ipad mini. No phone.

15. Cool Pup macrumors 6502a

Cool Pup

I think it's obvious that Apple will increase the display size in the iPhone. It doesn't seem like a trend that people are wanting bigger displays and phones don't seem to be getting any smaller than 4 inches these days. I don't think they'll make it bigger than 5 inches, but 4.8 seems nearly inevitable.

I am an avid Mini user, and I would reconsider purchasing the new Mini if the iPhone 6 was going to get a larger screen than the 5s in the 5 inch range. Sure, the Mini is two inches bigger, but it just seems like a negligible difference at that point, especially considering the new weight of the Air.

Daring Fireball pointed it out, but the difference between the iPad Mini and iPad Air is more like the difference between a 11 and 13 inch MacBook Air.

16. TrackZ macrumors member

I don't think a 5" iPhone size will canabbalize the mini too badly. There's a decent spread in side from 5" 16:9 to 7.9" 4:3.

17. Mak47 macrumors 6502a

I won't buy a 5" phone. I think they're ridiculous and only exist because competing devices have so little to offer in actually useful competitive features.

If Apple does what they did with the new iPads and releases two sizes with the same internal hardware I'll buy the smaller one and be happy. If they only make the top specs available in a compensator model I'll be very upset.

18. dumastudetto macrumors 68030

Apple will NEVER sell a 5 inch phone. They have too much taste and class to make such a crass statement to the market. And nobody wants a phone the size of a brick anymore. iPhone is already the perfect size.

19. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

A 5" phone will probably sell for more than both the mini and the 4" phone.

20. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.