If you purchased a new ipad(3rd Gen) in less than 30 days, call apple for 4th Gen!

kjay80

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 4, 2011
My friend got a new ipad(3rd gen) on Oct. 2nd and called apple yesterday about possible exchange for a new upcoming 4th gen, they told him to send his unit in using the label provided and upon availability of the new model, they will send one.
wow, I know apple customer service is good, but this is AMAZING!
I recommend people who purchased the old model in 30 days to call them up, good luck!!!

lindrelt

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2012
Houston, TX
Easy iPad3 Return

Last night my Apple store in Sugar Land TX happily took back my 18 day old iPad3 and offered store credit or refund on credit card... now waiting for Friday to order an iPad4.

Didn't have to whine, throw a tantrum or fuss at all. Took my 3 into store and when greeted by associate with "How can I help you?" explained that I enjoyed the Live event earlier in the day but discovered my product was replaced by a new one. He said "No problem! Our usual 14 day return policy is extended for new product releases such as your situation."

This experience joins the long list of why I will continue to pay a "premium" for Apple products and service! :)

~~Hello~~

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2007
I got my ipad 3 on the 16th september. Do you think I'd be able to exchange or not?

It's annoying updating after six months. I knew I didn't want the mini, but never expected a refresh.

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
My friend got a new ipad(3rd gen) on Oct. 2nd and called apple yesterday about possible exchange for a new upcoming 4th gen, they told him to send his unit in using the label provided and upon availability of the new model, they will send one.
wow, I know apple customer service is good, but this is AMAZING!
I recommend people who purchased the old model in 30 days to call them up, good luck!!!

NICE!!!!!

i bought mine on October 3 so i should qualify too.

when will the iPad 4 actually deliver? are we expecting a ridiculous 2-3 lead time? what about AppleCare+? will they transfer the AppleCare+ on my iPad 3 to my iPad 4?

Dwalls90

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2009
Duh.

Why is this surprising?

Isn't the return policy 30 days, or am I mistaken?

If you can return it for the retail price you paid, you are effectively repurchasing it for the iPad 4 equivalent.

Liquinn

Suspended
Apr 10, 2011
Duh.

Why is this surprising?

If you can return it for the retail price you paid, you are effectively repurchasing it for the iPad 4 equivalent.
I agree with you. XD.

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
Duh.

Why is this surprising?

14 days in the USA (in most states). some specific states might have laws that make it 30.

Dwalls90

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2009
14 days in the USA (in most states). some specific states might have laws that make it 30.
It's always been 30 with my experiences, but maybe they were just generous?

I know that for the iPhone, carriers influence that portion I think, and AT&T at least just reduced it to 14 days.

But I thought Apple was 30.

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
It's always been 30 with my experiences, but maybe they were just generous?

I know that for the iPhone, carriers influence that portion I think, and AT&T at least just reduced it to 14 days.

But I thought Apple was 30.
the iPhone is 30 days, everything else has been 14 days. my experience is with Apple Stores in Pennsylvania and New Jersey

i can't speak for the West Coast (i believe California might require 30 days, not sure)

lear45xr

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2009
iPad 3

I bought my iPad 3 on 28th sept. from my local apple store call apple today. Was told they operate 14 day returns. But do extend by a few days.
But in this case she said it was up to the store.
Called the store & was told. Could only return within 14 days

master-ceo

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2007
The SUN
I bought my iPad 3 on 28th sept. from my local apple store call apple today. Was told they operate 14 day returns. But do extend by a few days.
Damn that sux. I hope your still able to enjoy your new iPad amongst all the e-hype.

Waynec

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2009
This is all well and good but!!

Here in the Uk the majority of ipad sales or a large percentage of them are sold by the stores Argos and PC World ( two massive national retailers with large stores in practically every town ), I bought mine three weeks ago but I cannot get a replacement from Apple I think Apple should do an amnesty for all those who have bought within October wherever they bought them!, I have bought macs, IPods, iPads, mac minis , you name it and to be honest I'm really annoyed they haven't come out and done the right thing here, any thoughts?.

kalexn

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2012
Texas

I would try a different store, that is SO close that I feel like they should honor that.

Waynec

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2009
I would try a different store, that is SO close that I feel like they should honor that.

Here in the uk they have told me 30 days but I bought mine from another store, so the chap above should be ok to return him, I bought mine this month and cannot take mine back, there ain't that many apple stores in the uk unless you live in the big cities.

~~Hello~~

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2007
Just been to the store. Managed to return mine and I was a week outside of the 30 days. Very happy. got credit so i'll get the new ipad when it comes out. :)

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
Just been to the store. Managed to return mine and I was a week outside of the 30 days. Very happy. got credit so i'll get the new ipad when it comes out. :)
that's good to know. i bought on October 3 and i am within the 30 days but Apple Customer Service said on the phone no and that they won't do it in the store.

i will take a trip to the store tomorrow and see how it goes

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
any suggestions on what to say to the apple store when i show up tomorrow with my iPad 3 to return for a store credit?

should i just say "hi, i am 1 week outside of my exchange period but since the new iPad 4 was just released i would really appreciate it if i could return this for a store credit so i can pre-order the new iPad. if i had known a new iPad was coming out so soon, i would have waited" ?

the reason why i ask is because i am on the 19th day of owning my iPad 3 and fall within the unofficial 30 day exchange period that apparently some stores are offering. i called up Apple Care and they told me no and told me to not even bother in the store, yet there are many people already on the forums saying they have successfully returned it without issue

ReValveiT

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2012
Bought my 3rd gen iPad 3 weeks ago and have just received a middle finger email from Apple.

So much for that.

MacFon

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2008
Yesterday I returned my 38 day old 3rd Gen iPad for a full refund including the AppleCare +, At my local Apple Store. I expected a bit of a hassle, but their couldn't have been nicer.

ReValveiT

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2012
You see, reading all these success story's, I'm going to f**kin' fight for this!

Why one rule for one and one for the other? This is BS.

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
Bought my 3rd gen iPad 3 weeks ago and have just received a middle finger email from Apple.

So much for that.
same! i bought it on October 3. i called them up, they told me no and told me a store won't help me. wtf

well i am still going to go into a store tonight to return it

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.