If You Reserve The Iphone 3GS At Apple.Com, Can you Pick Up Anytime Out the Day?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Neverbepeace, Jun 11, 2009.

1. Neverbepeace macrumors 6502a

Neverbepeace

I reserved the Iphone 3GS at apple.com and I got a confirmation email as well. It also states in the email that I can come buy anytime through out the day and finish the process. Is this true? Or does this reservation still mean first come first serve? Im confused!

2. ecks618 macrumors 6502

ecks618

A friend of a friend who works as a manager at the apple store told me they would have "enough" and I can come in any time throughout the day to pick it up.

I ordered from ATT anyway from the premier store so I couldn't tell you anything beyond that.

3. aethelbert macrumors 601

I would imagine that it will be first come, first served. Pre-order numbers will probably give an indication as to how many they should have in stock, but if they run out, they run out.

4. Neverbepeace thread starter macrumors 6502a

Neverbepeace

ok

What is the sense of reserving then? I didn't purchase it yet, can you do that?

5. Neverbepeace thread starter macrumors 6502a

Neverbepeace

So............

Im guessing there is no concrete answers at this point.

6. iGary Guest

iGary

Why not have it delivered?

7. bjquach macrumors 6502

I called my local Apple store manager and they said they don't have concrete answers on why the reservation is there if you have to wait in line anyway.

But, she did say that reserving it will definitely speed up the process of buying an iphone which translates into less time asking you for all your information and just buying it right there.

8. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Go to an AT&T store.

You can buy it ahead of time, then pick up YOUR phone on the 19th. (Not, first come first serve, but an actual reserved phone.) And since you've paid ahead of time, I imagine it will go faster than at the Apple store, where you haven't paid yet.

Now, it's possible AT&T won't get all their shipments on the 19th, but since there's a specific phone in your name, you can call the AT&T store and ask if it's there or not. They'll say 'yes' or 'no.' The Apple store can't answer that question ahead of time.

So neither way is 100% sure, but with the Apple store you have to stand in line without knowing what's going to happen. With the AT&T store you can at least check if your reserved phone is there or not before you go.

9. bhimpele macrumors member

I received the same email. I can't understand why they would specifically tell you to come anytime out of the day if in fact they were not holding one aside for you.

10. bjquach macrumors 6502

I'm just going to do what I did last year. Head to apple around 4-5AM and wait until they open at 8AM.

11. bhimpele macrumors member

I just called my apple store, they said that if you have reserved one, it is guarenteed that you will get it as long as you pick it up on your scheduled day. The next day you lose the rights to it.

12. bjquach macrumors 6502

But what if they sell out that day to non-reserved people? It's first come, first served. I suggest just getting in line early just to make sure.

13. bhimpele macrumors member

They will not release your phone until the next day.

14. auero macrumors 65816

The reservation for the stores I think is just so they have a show of hands of how many people plan to purchase one. That will then be added to what they will carry for other customers who haven't 'reserved'.

My friend works at the local store here and she said there is over 400 preorders for the store already.

15. Neverbepeace thread starter macrumors 6502a

Neverbepeace

Ayyeee

Has anybody called 1800myapple? I tried and the hold time is long. I would think they should clear up this reservation nonsense. I would buy but I have a $150 deposite when apple ran my credit on apple.com. Not sure if I was able to purchase online when I reserved it. It didnt give me an option to buy either. Anyway, I would love to walk into apple on my lunch break and pick up with no problems :)

16. bjquach macrumors 6502

My local apple said to call them around wednesday to thursday to specifically ask questions about the reservation issues.

17. aristobrat macrumors G4

I wouldn't call Apple Technical Suport (1-800-MY-APPL) for questions about retail store operations! :eek:

Reserving on apple.com is essentially pre-authorization. You complete the first three steps of buying an iPhone (check eligibility, pick a rate plan, and agree to the two-year contract) **BEFORE** you go into the store. This helps the purchase process go soooooo much faster than if you walk in the store without having done that.

From what it sounds like the Apple store people are telling folks, they don't expect to run out of phones. Who knows if that's true or not.

18. Neverbepeace thread starter macrumors 6502a

Neverbepeace

19. aristobrat macrumors G4

What are you confused about? :confused:

When you get near the end of the online process, it states

"* Pre-authorization does not guarantee iPhone availability at an Apple Retail Store. iPhone is sold on a first-come, first-served basis".

So you are not guaranteed an iPhone at the Apple store if you go through the online process. Although from the Apple Store people are telling customers, it sounds like they're not expecting to run out.

20. Neverbepeace thread starter macrumors 6502a

Neverbepeace

lolololo

Maybe I didn't read that :D

Dam......I rather go to an att store then. Should I be in att system since apple ran my credit? Can I just go up there and pay for everything now and pick it up on the 19th?

21. aristobrat macrumors G4

If I were you, I'd probably go to the AT&T store that I'd pick up on the 19th from and ask (between now and then), just to make sure!

22. El Carbonite macrumors regular

I wouldn't get anything from an AT&T store, the hassle everyone had to go through last year was insane. I ended up having to order my iPhone 3G through their direct fulfillment option.

I ordered online through the Apple Store this time and I'm not going to deal with the lines.

23. HRMaddie macrumors newbie

I talked to my local Apple store and I was told that even if I reserved one you are not guaranteed one. The lady said it was first come, first serve, so standing in line is necessary. Well, I'm going to go to my local AT&T store and order from there where it is more of a guarantee than Apple.

24. coolwater macrumors 6502a

coolwater

Are you sure ATT.com (not APPLE.com) has this option? All I see is shipping option on ATT online store.

25. aristobrat macrumors G4

Yeah, if AT&T can do a pre-order guarantee, that sounds like the way to go.

However, for anyone that doesn't pre-order, I'd recommend they go to Apple, as Apple Stores have always had more iPhones in-stock on launch day than AT&T did.