if you sell imac, can the new owner change registration information?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by JMartin23, Feb 28, 2010.

1. JMartin23 macrumors member

how does apple track registered products?

If i have 2 computers registered, does it know all the information about those computers? Or just that I have 2 registered.

If i sell one, can the new owner change the information? Will apple still think I own it even if its someone elses?

2. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

From the AppleCare FAQ:
    • Is the AppleCare Protection Plan transferable?
    • Yes. If you choose to sell or give away your Apple product, you can also transfer the ownership of the AppleCare Protection Plan. Please see the AppleCare Protection Plan Terms and Conditions for complete details.

3. JMartin23 thread starter macrumors member

thanks but i wasn't asking about applecare... i meant just the general registration of the imac...

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I think it can be re-registered. When you sell it, you should inform Apple about it so there won't be any issues if it needs repair in future (mainly that they don't suspect it to be stolen).

5. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

People sell their macs all the time. I doubt sellers spend the time contacting Apple that ownership has been changed.

6. MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

the new owner can change the reg data with the included system discs that come with every mac if he reinstalls the system , i consider selling a mac without the system discs as antisocial behavior ,
    i would never pay even a pence or cent for a mac without the system discs ,for me a mac without them is simply worthless,

i explain why , i cant do hardware test if necessary , i cant reinstall the system if necessary after a harddrive failure, i cant register the mac in my name , i cant change system password

7. MacUser2525 macrumors 68000

MacUser2525

You can do both if you can boot to single user mode but your points are valid every Mac ships with its restore/install disks and you should be getting them when buying or don't bother, its too much hassle tracking down the proper disks later.

8. farmermac macrumors 6502a

Too much trouble? 1-800-apple and ~$20 or so for replacement discs based on the serial number on the mac. Really not a big deal not to get the discs.

9. MacUser2525 macrumors 68000

MacUser2525

Never knew that one when I did it with my G4 I had bought without disks it was two trips to Ebay getting ripped off on the first before getting the correct one from the second, would have saved me some cash if I had known...