If you sell your iPhone 4 before activating, how much $ do you owe AT&T?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by soupcxan, Jun 20, 2010.

1. soupcxan macrumors member

I ordered an iPhone 4 from AT&T for $199 as an upgrade on my line, I'm out of contract. I don't have a data plan today. If I want to sell the iphone before I activate it, what is the total that AT&T charge me? $199 + $325 ETF? Or $599 as the unsubsidized price? Either way, will I still be responsible for paying the $15/mo data plan?

If you pay $599 for the phone and ebay it for $800, that's only $200 profit before ebay fees ($50) and paypal fees ($24), so now you're looking at $125. Am I missing something? Flipping the phone hardly seems worth it - basically you would have sold your 2 year contract renewal benefit for $125 which is much less than the discount you'd get from taking advantage of a subsidized phone. I guess if you are sure you won't want to upgrade for the next 2 years it's free money, but what if you lose your phone or something?

2. tesilential macrumors regular

You will have to pay the monthly bill for that line for 24 months.

You can drop the data simply by calling up after a month, and you can avoid the $325 ETF fee by not canceling the line.

3. mistertomlinson macrumors 6502

You'll get more with a Buy It Now price. There's always someone with plenty of money that isn't interested in the time involved with bidding... and if your description has quality, you'll more likely make a sell. So many people slap one image of their phone up and toss a 2 sentence description out, when they'd likely make more if they spend a little time. I always upload several pictures at multiple angles in good light so you can really see the details. I also include my username on paper in a couple of the images. Don't skimp on the description and make it pretty. I usually include a thorough description of my item followed by a few stock shots/description from Apple. I like to use a page theme too... I can guarantee you'd make over $1,000 if you took the above advice, assuming you have ample positive feedback and you don't wait too long after receiving the phone.

It seems the average auction price is ~$800, but I've seen plenty go for over $1,000. I've been thinking about selling my iPhone 4 as well, considering you could very well make enough money to buy a no-commitment priced iPhone and a 16GB iPad. You just gotta go without a phone for another month or so.